Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone advise whether I actually need a 12 quart cambro per Flour Water Salt Yeast? I don’t mind getting one if necessary or really useful but it seems excessively large. I already have a 12 quart square one I use for sous vide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I’ll try a couple times with stuff I already have and see how it goes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can y’all post some cross-sections (with scale if possible) of some examples of Forkish’s Saturday white bread recipe? I’ve made it 4 times now and each time I’ve felt the bread is too dense. Not sure if I’m actually doing anything wrong though, so I don’t want to change much in my process until then. FWIW, I have noticed that my dough consistently ends up warmer (~3-5*F) than specified after the final mix.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Here’s what mine looks like:

Not a great picture, unfortunately. Oven is calibrated fine, I’ve got a thermometer in there. The yeast isn’t dead, as I’m getting quite a bit of rise during bulk fermentation and it was a new bag of Red Star yeast that’s only been in the fridge a couple months. Next time I’ll try to pay closer attention to the volume ratio before shaping. I’ve also noticed that the loaves are fully proofed according to the poke method in almost half the time specified.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I might try using a larger container for mixing next time; it can be kind of tight trying to fold the dough in a 6qt cambro.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Posting on a whim while making pork stock and rendering lard: anyone have recommendations for a nice lame? My wife bought a really lovely one a few years ago, and a new, actually nice one would make a good stocking stuffer. Hoping to spend around $20 on one with replaceable blades if that’s reasonable.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have trouble using pen-style lames, so I bought this circular one from Etsy. It's pretty and it works. They have a lot of different styles, and I chose the simplest. Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SunkiCraft

This is held together by a brass screw and socket, and it's easy to swap out the blade. You can also choose to store it with the blade retracted; I bought a pouch instead.

This is pretty, but she’s an artist and likes to make artistic decorations so I’ll probably go with a pen-style. Thanks though!

effika posted:

How about this one from Breadtopia? And if you ever get into wet shaving with a double-edged razor, you and her can share blades!

Good cheap blades can be found in bulk from Amazon or a small business like Maggard's Razors. That Breadtopia lame comes with Derby blades, which are fine, and if you do get into shaving you can probably share Astra blades (assuming they work for you). No need to splurge on Japanese steel here.

Perfect. I don’t shave more than 3x per week usually so I’m probably going to continue slumming it with the disposable cartridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I vacuum-pack a big bag of red star and freeze it. Usually lasts a good couple of years that way. I open it up every few months to refill the jar in the fridge, then re-vac it.