Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So I got a book for Christmas this year:

Which meant, of course, that I had to put together some dough last night. This was my first time baking in a dutch oven.

One loaf currently being demolished by my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

OK, I made the white batter bread from that page today. Here are the results:

I had serious reservations about it. First it seemed more like a wet dough than a batter. There was no 'pouring' this into the bread pan as the recipes states. It was more like glop and then nudge around with my spoontula until it behaved itself. It rose very nicely, though, and it makes a very cute little loaf.

In the end it's like bread and cake got together and made a delicious baby. It tastes amazing but the crumb is too cake-like to satisfy my want for bread.

I tried this today and it was definitely more like a very wet dough than a batter. Mine didn't rise as much, though it still got to the top of the pan and was light and delicious anyway. It reminds me of a buttery yeast roll but in the form of a sandwich loaf.

For something you can throw together and have out cooling on a rack within an hour and a half it's fantastic.