Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

I did a thing. :shobon: King Arthur flour, roughly 70/30 mix of unbleached white and whole wheat.

Many thanks to therattle for making the first loaf of bread I have ever baked a success (mostly). It's a little chewy, and I forgot to slash the loaf until like ten minutes into baking the drat thing :rolleyes:, but it sure is tasty! I've already got plans to start experimenting with the basic no-knead recipe in the OP as soon as this loaf is gone.

I'm mostly unemployed at the moment, getting by on Reserves checks and whatever freelance work I can find from time to time, so this is a huge help to my budget. Thanks again - this stuff is fantastic and I can't wait to start getting creative with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Could anyone recommend a good place in the U.S. to find a decent silicone baking mat without getting ripped off?

In the meantime... 2nd loaf attempt was delicious, although still far more dense than expected:

There wasn't anything wrong with it per se, it just wasn't coming out exactly as advertised. So, I read back through the recipe and figured it out. Instant yeast. The recipe calls for instant yeast, and I was using regular old-fashioned dry yeast. Silly me. Loaf #3 is cooling on a cutting board now, so I'll be able to do a crumb shot soon, but before it even made it into the oven I could already tell that the dough seemed different, stickier, more like the images in the old No-Knead thread.

*edit* As promised:

Hmm. It's still very tasty, just, again, not the bubbly, airy result I was hoping for. King Arthur Flour (70/30 unbleached white/wheat), 66% hydration, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp instant yeast; 2 hour room temperature rise, followed by two and a half days in the fridge, then an hour and a half warming back up on the counter before baking. What should I try changing?

Full Metal Boxers fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 10, 2013

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

One of the "no-knead" recipes I've seen here mentions leaving it covered overnight and then baking afterwards; another (the King Arthur one, I think?) mentions a two-hour rise followed by refrigeration for up to a week.

Can I mix up the dough around bedtime, leave it to rise overnight, and then refrigerate afterwards? Or does it need to be baked right away if I leave it out that long?

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

TL;DR- Do I need to let my dough proof longer? Do I need to let it proof longer before fridge, or after fridge? Halp, plz.

Full Metal Boxers posted:

One of the "no-knead" recipes I've seen here mentions leaving it covered overnight and then baking afterwards; another (the King Arthur one, I think?) mentions a two-hour rise followed by refrigeration for up to a week.

Can I mix up the dough around bedtime, leave it to rise overnight, and then refrigerate afterwards? Or does it need to be baked right away if I leave it out that long?

Spikes32 posted:

You can leave it overnight for the initial rise, shape and form it then place it in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours before finally cooking it. If you go beyond 6 hours though you may over rise it. I'm not as familiar with proofing it in the fridge and if it needs to come back to room temperature before putting it in the oven. Thoughts?

This is the recipe I'm referring to: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe For clarification, I am measuring both my dry ingredients and my water with a kitchen scale for consistency.

"4) Cover the bowl or bucket, and let the dough rise at room temperature for 2 hours. Then refrigerate it for at least 2 hours, or for up to about 7 days. (If you're pressed for time, skip the room-temperature rise, and stick it right into the fridge). The longer you keep it in the fridge, the tangier it'll get; if you chill it for 7 days, it will taste like sourdough. Over the course of the first day or so, it'll rise, then fall. That's OK; that's what it's supposed to do."

Other no-knead recipes I've read (the OP's recipe in the original No-Knead thread, for example) instead mention simply letting the dough proof at room temperature overnight, and then baking afterwards. Based on the rather dense results I've been getting, some have mentioned I need to let it rise more. So I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible I need to let the dough warm up more between taking it out of the fridge and putting it in the oven? Or do I need to let it rise for longer before putting it in the fridge in the first place?

I'm also going to try switching the white flour in my white/wheat mix to King Arthur bread flour once I've used up the bag of King Arthur all-purpose flour I currently have. The two bags of flour I've been mixing and experimenting with - white and wheat, like the OP's basic recipe - were the first bags of flour I've ever bought for breadmaking and I wasn't really sure what to get, so I just kinda made an educated guess off of what I'd read in the OP. :ohdear:

Full Metal Boxers fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 12, 2013