Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

I rarely get the opportunity to bake bread, but I banged out some dinner rolls last night. Pretty tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I don't do a lot of baking, but I do occasionally try my hand at stuff like hamburger buns. I've tried the CI/ATK "potato burger buns" recipe several times over the last year with very mixed results. The recipe calls for bread flour, which you don't typically find in stores in Canada. I've been lead to believe Canadian AP flour should be high enough protein to substitute, but please correct me if I'm an idiot.

Here is the recipe from some random blog:

http://sundaydinnerfortwo.blogspot.ca/p/recipe-potato-burger-buns.html

The issue I have is that the buns often end up looking like the photo in the blog: kind of unevenly browned and poorly risen. They tend to sink even more once they cool. This varies by batch, and often there will be a few good ones out of 9. The first batch I ever made was absolutely perfect; the next batch was one step removed from chewy pancakes.

I've noticed the dough takes nowhere near as long to get sticky as the recipe claims. It comes together and starts to stick to the bowl in about 4 minutes, and anything much longer just gives me a bowl of glue. The dough is heavy and seems to need a longer rise than the recipe suggests, but I've never tried that. I'd imagine the uneven browning has to do with applying the eggwash too sparingly, but I'm not sure what I can do to get the buns to rise more reliably. CI claims low-protein bread will give flat rolls, but what else can I use in Canada? I think there is usually one kind of "bread" flour available at the supermarket, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

My first batch last summer (these were amazing):

Last night:

The best rolls from last night:

The worst rolls from last night:

If anyone has a good potato bun recipe that uses mashed potatoes to try, I'm all ears. I really like the fluffy chewy texture. At the supermarket I pretty much have the choice of giant panini rolls or Wonder bread type hamburger rolls, so they're totally worth the effort.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I tried some "best for bread" flour and the dough fell apart even faster. This is after 3 1/2 minutes on setting 2 with my KA mixer. I'm guessing it's not about to become "soft and slightly sticky" if I knead it for 8-10 minutes like the recipe says?

What CI claims it should produce:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

quote:

Combine flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in bowl of stand mixer. Add warm potato mixture to flour mixture and mix with hands
until combined (some large lumps are OK). Add 1 egg and reserved potato water; mix with dough hook on low speed until dough is soft and slightly sticky, 8 to 10 minutes.

Maybe just a hydration issue? This is a new batch I'm making with the "best for bread flour" but only 1 tbsp of the cooking water added. The recipe says the dough starts out very dry and takes several minutes to actually come together before it's really being properly kneaded. I assume that's why it calls for such a long mixing time?

Seems promising so far.

The sticky batch was a nightmare to work with, but the results are at least edible. Nowhere near as much rise as I'm looking for because they spread out too much:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

This is a new batch I'm making with the "best for bread flour" but only 1 tbsp of the cooking water added.

I'm pretty pleased with this batch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Do quick breads count?

Also some no-knead goodness.