Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Made some pretzels, some interesting blisters I wasn't really going for:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

Made some pretzels, some interesting blisters I wasn't really going for:

Update on these, the crust is flakey on the blisters, crispy even, with the normal pretzel chew on most of the skin. Tearing off a bit of pretzel gives a wonderful crackling sound. Paired with a Milk + pepper jack + cheddar + sodium citrate cheese sauce rounded out with black pepper and garlic powder, and a simple mayo + mustard + sugar + vinegar dipping sauce. It may not be traditional, but I'm not going back to non-blistered after this.

Edit: I can't help but feel I just accidentally made bagels in a pretzel shape though? I'm not very experienced with making breads.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 22, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mikey Purp posted:

There's really not that much of a difference between pretzels and bagels, honestly. They both use roughly the same hydration, with the main difference being that pretzels dough often incorporates a few additional ingredients such as butter and malt syrup. Other than that the difference is just the lye bath and the shaping.

The blisters most likely came about as a result of them being slightly under proofed before baking, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Thanks, I've been having lots of proofing problems as I've started making bread like 20 times more often (got a stand mixer this year). I'm guessing it's largely due to temperature, as I'm using active dry yeast individually foil-wrapped with a expiration date long into the future, and typically I'll just throw in a full packet even if less is called for (is this somehow a big mistake?). My house is at 65 when I bake during the winter, so I turn on the stove to warm and put the bowl on it, which has definitely helped, but maybe not enough?

I mean, this was a happy accident, but if I wanted to make traditional pretzels it would be nice to be able to do so.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I made this bread: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe.html

I'm pretty OK with the results, but I burned the bottom a touch, didn't score it well, and maybe not enough steam. I didn't have a double boiler dutch oven so I just sprayed a bunch of water onto the bread and used a 12" cast iron skillet pre-heated in the oven.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 5, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

I made this bread: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe.html

I'm pretty OK with the results, but I burned the bottom a touch, didn't score it well, and maybe not enough steam. I didn't have a double boiler dutch oven so I just sprayed a bunch of water onto the bread and used a 12" cast iron skillet pre-heated in the oven.

Same bread, one week later. I keep having problems with uneven oven spring, is that controlled by how deep my scoring marks are? I moved the cast iron up one rack, which seems to have prevented most of the burning, but I'm tempted to either lower oven temp or move the rack up again due to slight burning on the edges of one side, despite using an oven thermometer. This burning is preventing me from cooking the bread more, even though it could probably go a bit longer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dedian posted:

This looks really great but I wonder if the scoring should be deeper? The right hand cut looks like it tore after the crust started to set, probably with the force of the oven spring, and that's why the loaf grew more off that direction. Scoring (along with overall humidity to delay the crust setting to some extent) lets the loaf expand through oven spring. You may also try proofing a little longer.

Should I be spraying before scoring or after (or both I guess)? I've seen it both ways around the internet.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can get malted barley for brewing for like $2/lb, any reason I couldn't just grind that to flour instead of buying diastatic malt? I wonder if I could play around with different grains too, not just straight 2-row, but crystal malts or black patent malted barley could be interesting.

dedian posted:

I don't think I've ever sprayed the loaf directly if it's been proofed in or covered with something to keep the dough from drying out. I do spray water on a cast iron skillet (that's been preheated with the oven) every 30 seconds or so in the first few minutes of baking to have a humid environment to start out.

Thanks, I would think that opening the oven that much would lower the heat significantly and hurt oven spring? I have little clue here though I guess. I may try without spraying, just some other humidity source, or just buy a dutch oven.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My latest bread is hosed up because moving from banneton (my first go at these) to skillet resulted in some sticking and ended up cooking the bread upside down. I did a cross scoring in the middle of the dough, and the dough seems to have collapsed in the middle as part of this. Really interesting pattern on the bottom of the bread I guess.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks both of you, I will certainly use more flour next time!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Praise challah for challah is great

Do you have different doughs braided together here? I've got a challah proofing right now.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pretzels came out looking pretty neat:

Not sure why exactly, they are coming out too light and fluffy, and then there's the patterning. Not what I was going for, but my wife loves them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stefan Prodan posted:

For the pretzels were you hardcore enough to use lye or is that baking soda?

That was a 5% lye solution at room temp, 30 seconds each side per pretzel. My theory on the patterning is I used a cooking spray on the pretzels when I proofed them and this prevented the lye from making contact with the dough in that pattern.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uhh 5% is ridiculously high. That gives you a PH of 14, a .5% solution will give you a PH of 13, .05% of 12. Baking Soda will give you roughly 8 or 8.5, you really really really don't need 5%.

Seems to have worked reasonably, I typically see 2-5% recommended in various recipes. That's by mass with granules. Not sure what my starting tap water pH was. I've tried baking soda in the past in boiling water and it never approaches the level of brownness I want. edit: I could probably cut down the lye percentage easily if I heated the water, but room temp is a bit safer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

To me it looks more like stretch marks from the oven spring, where the lye bath only treated the surface to a minimal depth, and the over spring revealed untreated dough. If that makes sense. I'm not sure what the solution would be though...more time in the lye bath or a longer proof before baking both seem reasonable (especially the latter). Regardless, would eat.

edit: Looking back at them, the cooking spray could be the culprit too. Need to make many more batches to test. And send them to random internet posters.

I see some stretch marks certainly, but some was more surface patterning. I'm planning on doing some more testing next week.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 22, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got the pretzels the way I wanted. Also pictured is beer cheese sauce and an OK beer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cymbal Monkey posted:

What'd you poach them in?

Same as last time, slightly warm 5% lye solution. My barriers were under-proofing and using cooking spray/oil to prevent sticking. This time I made sure that I really closed the seams well after pre-shaping and avoided creating new seams when rolling out. Putting them in the fridge for 2 hours is very important too, so that the pretzels firm up before dipping in the lye. I followed http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/bavarian-pretzels.html with 450 convection for the 15 minutes (obviously I skipped the salting and scoring too).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Argyle posted:

Advice needed: My apartment came with a lovely antique oven that will burn the bottom of just about everything I put in there. Even in a well-preheated dutch oven (like a good 45 minute preheat), my loaves burn on the bottom before they get a decent crust on top. I'm not talking a pleasant char, I'm talking solid-disc-of-black burned.

Anyone else with antique oven woes? Would a baking steel or two help even things out?

If you're putting your dutch oven on a lower rack, try more of a middle rack, and put as much metal on a top rack as possible (baking steel would be great). I've had similar issues and moving up racks helped significantly.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My first attempt at sourdough produced some crap oven spring, but a pretty good crumb.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solumin posted:

Here's the recipe from my bread machine's manual:
  • 1.75 cups water (about 410 ml)
  • 1.5 tsp honey
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 3 cups flour (360g)
  • 1.5 tsp active dry yeast (~6g)

Compared to your recipe, that's about the same water for 1/3 of the flour, which certainly explains the soupy dough.
Thank you for the recipe! Maybe I'll try doing it by hand next time.

Your recipe is either utterly hosed, or you are mis-reading it. No one makes ~115% hydrated dough to directly bake with.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been forgetting my sourdoughs and leaving them in bulk ferment at room temperature for 12 hours+ before final shaping and proofing. This may have led to some really awesome flavor development, or these new and exciting flavors may be because I'm using 50% stone ground whole wheat bread flour. It doesn't seem to hurt much as long as proofing is done properly. I'm also baking the bread on my gas grill, with surprisingly good results. I'll have pictures later today of my setup and results in case any one's interested.

Stringent posted:

Finally got around to trying Hokkaido milk bread, went over p well with the kids so I guess it's in the rotation now.

Been meaning to try this, what recipe did you use?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

Whoa, details? Never thought of doing that, and I've been feeling like baking bread lately but don't feel like warming up the kitchen with the oven in this heat.

Since grill thermometers are notoriously unreliable, I imagine you need an oven thermometer to get it right?

Here's my setup that I tried today (changed it up to check on the effects of oven burner settings), which produced some good oven spring but burned the bottom. In general, I've found burning on the bottom is the first major problem, not having great ambient heat for browning is the second one.

That's a 50% whole wheat sourdough on the bottom there, on an aluminum sheet pan on top of some bricks. Temp is showing low here because I was just letting it finish/rest in there with the burners off, I grill-baked it at 425 for about 20 minutes, then stepped down to 375 (my wife hates super crusty bread) until it passed the knock test. After cooling, I just cut off the utterly burnt bottom and produced an OK crumb considering the whole wheat and the hydration level.

Technique-wise, here's some tips:
Use oven thermometer to see actual heat at the bread.
Pre-heat gas grill for at least 15 minutes.
Turning outer burners on high and middle burner (the one under the bread) on low to prevent the bottom burning
Don't open the grill lid for the first 20 minutes
Don't oil the pan
Use two pans nestled together for a bit of insulation to prevent the bottom burning
Elevate the pan with bricks (mine cost $0.33 each at Menards) to prevent the bottom burning
Pre-heat pan and thermometer in grill to ensure accurate temps

I want to use a baking steel next time instead of the sheet pans because I think it will be a great thermal capacitor. Another technique I might try is putting the baking steel on the grill itself, air gapping the pan from the grill via the steel, or using a sil-pat (need to check temperature resistance) between two aluminum sheets.

All that said, it's a lot of effort compared to just using an oven with no advantages other than energy savings in the summer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Grilled Tangzhong milk bread is going to make ridiculously good french toast I predict.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Smykowski posted:

Also any suggestions for black breads?

I found this curiosity via google, haven't tried it: http://www.malaysiabest.net/2009/07/31/black-bread-bamboo-charcoal-sesame-bread/

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emotive posted:

Never made bread before. Kinda guessed at a recipe and went for it.
No idea what happened with the top, apparently there was a hole.

200g AP flour
100g white whole wheat
175g water
5g sugar
5g active dry yeast
5g salt

Rested for 1.5 hours in the oven with the light on (pretty cold in my apartment), shaped and then rested again for 30 minutes while the oven & dutch oven preheated.
Baked at 450 for 30 minutes then 15 minutes uncovered.

Came out really ugly but surprisingly edible. Didn't have a use for it so I sliced it up and put it in the freezer for toast.

I should probably follow a recipe more closely next time, but did I completely mess it up?

Looks like you just baked it upside down and the seam opened. If you'd like a more open crumb, could use more hydration and perhaps proofing adjustments but you got a decent rise.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

always be closing posted:

So I had mixed a poolish in the 23rd, (500g flour, 500g water, scant 1/8tsp yeast), then my wife went into labor at 5am the next day. We're home now and made it through night 1 with baby.

Before I throw out this mix, should I/could I take some out and start a sourdough culture? How much? Or is it trash?

You added yeast, so not sure about sourdough culture per se, but it should be perfectly fine to mix into fresh dough below 40% or so.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Maybe my bannetons are unusually widely spaced or something but I'm pretty sure that dough would fall through in an hour or two if I had no liner in there :shrug:

Do you typically make 80%+ hydration doughs or something? Even then, I can't see dough ever "falling through", theres just no way unless you're talking like pure water.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

augias posted:

is it the wax paper?

Please tell me you really mean parchment paper. If not, the bottom of your loaves may be white because it's coated in melted wax. Wax doesn't go in the oven.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's pretty unclear, but I think he actually means size, not shape. Volume is volume.

Hmm. Are you saying that size of bowl matters? That seems less likely actually.

The forces on the dough at the bottom of a hemispherical bowl will be different than a square or cylinder, not sure if that actually matters at home but for large enough scale it might.

Also the surface area and temperature gradient to the ambient temperature is different. Again, not sure if it matters.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's not going to make enough of a difference to matter. Have you actually observed any influence on rising from container shape, given identical volumes?

I know nothing about these differences, just pointing out possibilities.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

But it was only a single loaf's worth at the lowest speed :eng100:

When I say "taxing the machine" I mean that the tone of the motor would get lower and it would slow down slightly when the dough hook sank in the furthest, and the back of the stand was warm at the end

I think a little of this is pretty normal, particularly for lower hydration doughs. If it were to start grinding, smoking, or halting, that would be a big concern.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

betaraywil posted:

So apologies if this gets asked all the time, but I have a rattan proofing basket that is grimy with old flour that has been moistened and left to dry.

Generally, I spray the thing down with white vinegar and then take a cheap paring knife and run it down the entire length of the basket, through all the grooves, to remove all the solidified flour. This takes a long time and is not entirely effective and I'm sure it will eventually destroy the basket. Is there a better way? Should I be using a lipid as the solvent and not an acid? What am I doing wrong?

I thought you were just supposed to tap/wipe it out at most and leave the remnants of the flour in there. Haven't had any problems yet with that approach, and I don't think you should moisten the flour more than the dough already does.

If you're actually seeing or smelling bad things though, I'd throw it out and get a new one.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing like fresh baked pain au chocolat made from scratch with cultured butter and rich dark chocolate.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any croissant experts in here? I'm wondering what I need to do differently to get to full honeycomb - another fold or a different technique? Also, they were a little dense - just more cooking time?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hey girl you up posted:

I'm not a croissant expert, but how many times have you made croissants? I would ask myself:

How many folds are you doing? More will obviously give you more layers, but it's an exponential thing so you don't need a ton.

How much are you working the dough? Bare minimum.

Are you using your hands or a pin? French pin.

What temperature is the room when you're working it? Cooler. Summer can be hard for croissants, I've been told, if you're not air conditioning your kitchen. (I have never made them in the summer.)

Where are things falling apart? The center? Other parts of the laminate?

In my experience, croissants are about practice, clean folds and sharp corners, practice, keeping the dough cool when working it, practice, working the dough as little as humanly possible, and practice.

I've only made them a few times. You can see the crumb above, it's got really clearly defined layers throughout, but the layers are a bit denser than I'd like and don't connect to each other. Others have mentioned it is likely that the butter got too warm, but I wonder if that is the only issue. I may also try another fold like Symmetry suggested.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JudgeX posted:

How many folds are you doing? 4-4-3 or 4-3-3 it typical, a 4-fold being a book fold and a 3-fold being an envelope fold. Going off your picture alone, your butter got too hot when you were rolling one of the layers. As you practice more, you'll start to feel the butter inside gently spreading when it's the right temperature, even with a gentle press of the finger. If it smears, it's too hot and should go back in the cooler right away, if it breaks, let it sit for 4-5 minutes.

Thank you! I was doing 3-3-3-2 folds here. Never done a book fold, somehow I missed that technique when exploring this. Nothing to do now except make more croissants :getin:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murgos posted:

I have a big pizza steel and was thinking of baking bread using it on my grill. Instead of making boules in a dutch oven, doing a long wide batard on the steel on a covered grill.

The grill can get A LOT hotter than my oven, 7-800 degrees if I use hardwood.

Is this idea dumb? Would I need to spritz in some extra water to generate steam?

Just cover your bread on the steel with a pan/bowl big enough to take the rise.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tsc posted:

Having jalapeno cheese bread in 40 minutes is dangerous.

Those look amazing. I now want to make a variant using brazilian cheese/tapioca bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blixa posted:

The sourdough starter I have in my fridge is super happy and it shows. 70% hydration, all white bread flour. And delicious. Looks tiny because I was playing around with portrait mode on the phone but it's a normal sized loaf (total flour weight for two loaves: 775g).

Really solid loaf there. Dutch oven method?