Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm gonna start my starter tonight. I have canning jars that I'm gonna keep it in. Am I suppose to close the lids or leave it open and covered with a towel?

Leave it open somewhat unless you want to come back to an exploded jar.
Towel's fine at first once it's established you can poke some holes in the lid and store it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

PatMarshall posted:

Does anyone happen to know of a good store in NYC for baker's supplies? I'd like to pick up a couche, a lame, and some other tools, but I didn't see any at my neighborhood kitchen goods store. I'm hesitant to order from the internet as my building does not have a doorman and the super is usually out when UPS swings by. Thanks!

JB Prince should have everything you need.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

After the braid let it rise more.
Described this earlier in the thread but you should be able to gently push in on the loaf and have it not spring back much at all when it's ready to go in the oven.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Le0 posted:

How do you achieve surface tension? Also I never know how much is too much knock back. Do you like only fold it once or two times or more?

Also a stupid question that is bothering me. How the hell does they make gluten free bread rise ???

Pinch the bottom of the dough into a rough ball and cup your hands around the bottom of it against the counter.
Roll it around in a circle you should feel the top of the dough ball tightening up as you do it. It's hard to explain in words. Once the ball is formed and tight then you can shape it into whatever shape you wish.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You're more likely to screw up hydration in a bread by not soaking the raisins first.
They tend to suck the moisture out of the dough if you don't soak them first.

I always just add the raisins in with the rest of the ingredients at the beginning of mixing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Le0 posted:

How do you determine if you leave it for 4 or 6 hours? The amount that the starter rose in the jar?
I made another Sourdough when feeding my starter a few hours before baking instead of the the thing I did last time, i.e. feed several days before baking and the bread was way better with bigger holes. However I starter baking sometimes when I felt like it didn't really check my starter.

Another question, could anyone share a good hamburger buns recipe with weight of ingredients instead of cups? Most of the recipes I found are asking for cups of stuff and I prefer using grames.

Let it double, or sit over night at room temp.
Use this recipe for buns it should let you switch between cups/oz/grams.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Huxley posted:

Basic beginner question: I've started making my own English muffins (Joy of Cooking recipe), but instead of them coming out with the big pockets when you break it open with a fork, comes out more the texture and consistency of a regular biscuit.

Which step is likely to produce better results: more kneading? more time in the 2nd rise? more yeast in the first step?

Alternately, is it just that when you cook things at home they don't come out like the crazy mutant food that has been through a 40 years of focus testing?

E: They are very yummy, I'm more just curious about better understanding which steps affect which variables.

You need to really really really knead it.
Like 30-40 minutes in a kitchenaid mix it.
The big holes come from breaking the gluten.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You start with super cold water or even ice water when you have to mix for that long. You have to factor in the room temp, your flour temp, the water temp and account for friction for that sort of stuff.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Americas test kitchen gluten free bread is a good recipe to start with.
In my experience working with making gluten free breads you really need to add xanthan gum to it to make up for the missing gluten structure.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wal-Mart carries xathan gum now in little packets like yeast comes in. Or just order it off of Amazon.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

That looks delicious! I love olive bread.

What is the best way to get sesame seeds to stick to loaf of bread?

Egg wash, or just egg whites if you don't want the extra browning an egg wash will bring.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Grilled naan on pizza stone on a blazing hot charcoal grill.
Turned out good.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

Do any of you guys have a really pro bread pudding recipe

I always just eyeball the egg/milk mixture, but the secret to a really great bread pudding is letting it sit and soak up the custard before you bake it. Overnight is ideal but even a good few hours can make a big difference.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

So I tried using some whole wheat this weekend and wasn't especially happy about how it turned out. I did the tartine recipe with an 8:2 ratio of white to wheat, that should be ok right? I got delayed starting by a couple hours, so I think I might have left my leaven out a bit too long, could that be the culprit?

Could definitely be the culprit. There's a sweet spot when using leavens and poolishes if you go past it then it can adversly affect your final product.
If your leaven had left a "high water mark" on the side of the container where it raised up to and then dropped is one of the major signs it's gone too long.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

William Stoner posted:

How do I get good slices? I tried using a very sharp paring, but the dough would stick and drag with it.
There's this knife for bread scoring too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MLS7EI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MkOQxbSABSFE3
We use it at work instead of a lame on beads with alot of nuts and dried fruit as the lame would get stuck in them.

You can make a decent lame for home use out of a double edged razor blade and a wooden coffee stirrer from starbucks or wherever.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If it looks like it might be done just pick it up with a towel or something and tap the bottom it should sound hollow.
I've never stuck a thermometer into a loaf of bread.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Do stretch and folds and you don't need to knead.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Every 30 mins or so.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Use rice flour for your bannetons. Nothing will stick to it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

A cinnamon/raisin bread is good once you've got the simple white bread recipe down. You can do a swirl or not.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Soak doughy things in cold water the majority of it will just dissolve.
Follow it up by filling your sink up as much as you can and then letting it drain so anything leftover gets pushed out of the trap and doesn't clog it up with a giant dough ball.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Carillon posted:

Anyone have any tips on how to actually get baguettes into a decent shape? I tried to make them vaguely in the right shape, but ended up with a lumpish log rather than what I'd really consider a baguette shape. Part of the problem I think was that I didn't use enough flour when proofing them, so they stuck a bit when trying to get them into the oven.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/videos/techniques-for-the-professional-baker-4-shaping
This is a good video on how to shape a number of different loaf shapes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Oh, so I need a rolling pin, then? I was hoping I could just dump the fillings into the mixer and let them mix in the dough that way. :shepface:

Not sure why I didn't think to buy a rolling pin when I was out buying ingredients and loaf pans. Guess I need to make another trip to Bed Bath & Beyond tomorrow.

\/\/\/ Or that. I have one of those.

You can add whatever you like while it's mixing and it'll turn out fine.
Every place I've worked where we made breads with fruit, nuts, whatever in it always gets added in the last couple minutes of mixing.
Any more than that any things get broken up too much.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What is your room temp?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get a thermometer for next time and take the temps of your room, your starter (if using one), and the flour. Ideally you calculate for friction too but with home machines it's not such a big deal.

Most doughs are happiest between 74-77 degrees F. Take that number say 75 and multiply it by 3 if using a starter 2 if not. Then subtract the flour and air temps from it. The number you're left with is the temperature your water will need to be at to hit your desired dough temperature.

It's not a necessary step for home bakers but it helps to make things more consistant since if you're making the same dough alot you'll end up with similar time tables for proofing times. In larger industrial baking it's a required step.

Sometimes depending on the time of year we'd even start off mixing with ice water to hit our desired temp.

If you keep track of the temps as you make batch after batch you can figure out the friction factor for your machine and be able to get within +/- 1 degree from your desired temp every single time.

The big spiral mixer I used at the last place I worked would add 26 degrees just in friction too the dough while mixing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Family Photo posted:

All bread is beautiful :sun:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but:

How do you all store your bread?

Save bread bags from store bought bread and store it in that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

If I'm taking a normal boule straight in the oven recipe for bread and putting it in a loaf pan instead, what adjustments if any do I need to make to the time and temp?

You might want to pop it out of the pan once it's nearly done to get a browner crust all around.
If you bake it in just the pan the top will be browner and harder than the sides/ bottom.
If you do just leave it in the pan pop it out after it's baked and cooled about 5 mins the pan will hold in steam and make the bottom soggy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Use rice flour in your bannetons. It doesn't taste like rear end like raw flour, you don't have to use nearly as much to make the dough just fall out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

always be closing posted:

Sounds awesome, I'll give that a try this weekend.

My wife wants to make Muffulata tomorrow, I was gonna bake a forkish overnight white bread and just throw some sesame seeds on top, so I have to use an egg white wash or something to get them to stick?

Use egg wash, if you don't want to change the color of the finished loaf use just egg whites.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just got a bottle of food safe lye in from Amazon. Planning on making some pretzels soon.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mercer Culinary Millennia 10-Inch Wide Bread Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PS1HS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7QA3ybBCMB26Q
This one is on a pretty great sale on amazon.
Otherwise I would just recommend the Victoranox one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

door Door door posted:

I'm trying to make Forkish's overnight country brown, and no matter how much flour or what kind of towel I use when proofing, the dough always sticks so it tears when I try and remove it to put in the dutch oven, resulting in a dense, barely risen disappointment. What the hell am I doing wrong?
Try using rice flour. It's what we always used at work to flour bannetons with and it never stuck to them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

No trick to it, it should be pretty obviously improving with each stretch and fold. It helps to do it in a rectangular container rather than a round bowl. Just makes it easier to fold the ends evenly over on each other.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Over proofing your preferment can be worse than under proofing it.
I used to work at a restaurant where we did all the bread baking. The baguette dough was especially sensitive to the age of the preferment. We would check it when we first arrived in the morning and keep checking on it throughout the morning. If it was getting close to being ready we'd throw it in the fridge to cool it down so it wouldn't over proof. There's some enzymes that develop while it's doing it's thing, and leaving it too long developes them too much and it has a detrimental effect on the gluten development. In the time I worked there I only saw it get over developed one time. Those baguettes looked terrible they had little to no color, were flat, and no real flavor to speak of. We ended up having to do an emergency batch of straight baguettes just to have bread for that evenings dinner service.
There were a few times we had to use an under developed starter and those ones would come out looking good just not as flavorful as the ones that normally got produced with the properly developed starter.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Nope the enzymes once they start doing there thing royally gently caress it all up.
Here's some more reading on preferments
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/preferments.html
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/enzymes-the-little-molecules-that-bake-bread/

This is a pdf of a thesis from the '50s that goes into way too much detail about it
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...hIx7EbO0uSZlznw

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You probably just need to feed it more give it a little flour and water every day leaving it out on the counter covered wth some plastic wrap and a towel.
After 2-3 days it should be plenty healthy again. It should be ready to use when it can double its volume after a few hours.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Do stretch and folds while proofing instead of mixing for so long.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Once you have a thermometer calculate your final dough temp and adjust your water temp accordingly.
Measure your room temp, flour temp, starter temp(if using) plus 5-10 degrees for friction. Add them all up and subtract them from your target temp x 3 or 4 depending on if using a starter or not. That's your target water temp.
We usually shot for a final dough temp of 72ish at the bakery. Sometimes we'd have to use ice water in the summer times to hit the target.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Colder ferment = better flavor and it's easier to wait a little longer to shape than it is to try and cool down a dough that is moving too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Make a challa dough and learn to braid it.
Even if you gently caress it up it would still make some drat fine French toast.