Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Some people treat sourdough starter like a pet and care for it pretty much constantly, whereas other people tend to treat it more like a hardy plant. From what I've seen and tasted both are fine! In the San Francisco bay area, which I hear is a place that makes ok sourdough, you have a lot of different places to go to grab wild yeast or premade starter. For those less fortunate, you can even get sourdough starter for free via the post! Carl Griffith's Sourdough Starter is still around, I believe, and you can't really go bust with a starter that draws its roots from the tail end of the Industrial Revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

I would like to share that I recently received the book Tartine Bread as an unexpected birthday gift, and it is pretty fantastic. The pictures are beautiful. It feels like a much more lay version of the Breadbaker's Apprentice, which is also fantastic, and I also own that too!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

I have questions about starter. I was reading through Tartine and when you're preparing the leaven you take about 20% of your starter and discard the remaining 80%? Can you do anything with that remaining 80%, or is it basically intended to be thrown out?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply