Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
This thread arrived just in time! I started my first sourdough starter last week, following instructions in a Peter Reinhart book.

His instructions say to feed the starter at a starter:flour ratio of 1:3. But I see online, it's common to do 1:1. Any advantages to using a larger amount of fresh flour? If not, I'll be happy to cut down my the amount of flour I'm throwing at this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Someone else can explain better than me, but from what I've heard, stressed bacteria produce far more sour flavor. So how do you stress them? By throwing a lot of fresh flour at a relatively smaller culture. So using less starter and allowing more time to rise will actually create a more sour bread.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

dakana posted:

Tried out pain à l'ancienne. Not too bad of a result, though I should have baked on a preheated stone. I accidentally stretched it out too much for my small-ish pizza stone, so I just put it on a sheet and stuck it in the oven. Still tasty and creamy though.

bread-0014 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0015 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0019 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Is that Reinhardt's recipe? Following his instructions always left me with elongated, too-skinny "baguettes". (They're not really formed baguettes - you lay out the dough, cut it, stretch it lightly, and that's it. He encourages you to do the minimum amount of handling you can.)

Now, I always divide into fewer loaves than he says, making them a little bigger. And rather dividing the loaves off a square of dough, as he recommends, I form it into a rectangle, and cut stubby loaves off of that. The act of picking them up and transferring them to the baking sheet usually stretches them out into a normal shape.