Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tekopo posted:

First experiments with baking bread. Usually my crust is like cement but I put some water in the oven while baking and it gave a very nice crackly crust. I think the underside was a bit underbaked but overall it was a step up from my usual bad baking:

I have a few small loaf pans that basically live in the bottom of my oven to be filled with water for certain breads. Likewise, if you have an old spray bottle or something you can spritz the inside of your oven and really get some steam going before putting bread in (but very very quickly so you don't lose heat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Soricidus posted:

sandwiches have two unconnected pieces of bread

tacos are pizza

So you're saying a quesadilla is a sandwich?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Made a sourdough loaf over the weekend, one day I will remember to take crumb shots of something:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fknlo posted:

What's a good, large surface for working on bread dough to put on my counters? My counters are tile, so working directly on them is out.

Buy an IKEA countertop and cut it down to size.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I made a sourdough today and actually remembered to get a crumb shot for once. I tried a new pattern for slashing that didn't come out as pretty as I wanted, but this is probably the best tasting sourdough loaf I've done. Mostly because I started it last night and was actually patient with it instead of starting it first thing in the morning and getting impatient for it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I could've sworn The Bread Bible had a chocolate babka recipe in it, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have one that they can vouch for?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jan posted:

The short of it is, freeze it. Especially if you're toasting it--a freshly thawed and then reheated or toasted slice of bread will taste just as fresh as if it were out of the oven. I do this for bagels and it's like night and day.

Serious Eats compared different storage methods and freezing is the clear winner.

Every sourdough/other round loaf I make I cut in half immediately and then make sawtooth cuts. Half goes into foil and straight into the freezer, half goes on the table. Works like a charm. Baguettes, I haven't had leftover to test with.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spent like 10 hours cooking and baking experiments (and dinner) yesterday.

To go with the soup for dinner, sourdough:

And one of my experiments, a challah / chocolate babka hybrid (needed to be a little more moist, and a little saltier, but a good first try):

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I suck at baking. But I love bread and am happy to buy loaves from a real bakery. That said, my bread knife sucks. Is there a recommended one?

Bread knife is not worth splurging on. Spend as much as you're willing on how pretty you think it is or if you want a label. I used some random weird yellow one for years.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hey all, looking to start baking bread. Any book recs?

Flour Water Salt Yeast for technique, Bread Bible for recipes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How fast do your ovens get to temp? Mine is a hunk of poo poo and if I have the dutch oven in there with dough I would be shocked if it was hot in less than 45 minutes. Technique seems interesting but I just don't see how it would work with lovely ovens.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What's the threads recommendation on books about bread?

The only dedicated bread book I own is The Bread Bible.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

X13Fen posted:

Tried my gluten free starter again, this time with a ratio of 2:1 gf flour: chickpea flour. Results speak for themselves:

How much does it cost every time you feed the thing? yikes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

I used a thick stainless steel hotel pan that I dumped boiling water into to generate steam. It just still isn't enough volume compared to a commercial oven with steam injection.
The places I've worked in the past that have had proper deck ovens for baking bread in have forever ruined home bread baking but right now I got nothing but time and a giant Rubbermaid bucket of flour to burn.
The amount of steam a commercial oven can generate is truly something else like four seconds and it looks like the scene in the van from fast times at Ridgemont high when you crack the door to vent.

I fill a bread pan with hot water and keep it in the oven while its preheating and baking. Then when the bread is about to go in I also throw in a bunch of ice cubes onto a tray while spraying all the quarry tile on the bottom of my oven with a spray bottle. It still doesn't quite work.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Tbh I see this online and I think ice cubes are a terrible idea. All you’re doing is taking the heat down that much more (I am aware of the enthalpy of vaporization but I see no point in making it worse). The boiling water and spray I started doing from BBA gets me some baller baguettes, though.

I have my oven set a little higher to start to account for it, and my oven is also filled with stone to hold temp.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Yeah i think you underestimate how much that cools the oven still. If it works for you, fine, I just think it’s bad advice generally

Fair. It took me a lot of fine tuning to get it figured out for me and its still something I'm tweaking regularly after something like a decade of making baguettes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Moatman posted:

Those holes are perfectly fine. If you really want bigger holes, I'd suggest forming the bagels from a rope rather than by tearing a hole in a dough ball. I can't tell which you did here, but I've found that making a rope is better for controlling the hole size.

Agreed on both accounts -- rope is easier to shape from, and what you've got is fine. If you have a preference for a bigger hole, sure, but most good places by me have the hole kind of "touch" from both sides.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I keep my starter in the fridge during the week, get it out and feed it Thursday night and start dough for overnight proof on Friday. Are you using starter straight from the fridge? When do you feed it prior?

Exact same. I remove from fridge Friday morning and feed, then do my levain Friday night, and start making the bread in earnest Saturday morning for Saturday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

For people making super high hydration sourdough yeats, about what percentage by weight of flour are you putting in there? A rough calculation has me at 65%, but from these posts about the dough being unkneadable I guess that's pretty low.

I think the lowest hydration bread I do on anything is something like 68%.