Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

The Doctor posted:

REAL LIVE BRIOCHE. How did it turn out? I think it's time for me to pick up some butter and make brioche in the very near future.

It was pretty great. I used the first loaf for general eating pleasures, and the second loaf together with cream, eggs and coco-sugar (yes, that is a thing) got turned into the most luxurious new years day breakfast pain perdu ever..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Making tarte flambee :D

Or flammkuchen...

Why?

Because I am drinking a nice GC Riesling VT

Edit: Now drinking a GC Pinot Gris..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 18, 2014

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I use staub.

But you should consider a römertopf - I believe you can get equally good, or better results, and they're cheaper

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Now make french toast with it...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I can't loving make bread. I tried yesterday and deflated it completely and misshaped the entire baugette when trying to get it off my peel and onto my stone. it's like literally the most frustrating thing ever. I 100% of the time end up with some lovely dense crumb that screams homemade "bread". I've read so many books on breadmaking cover to cover, improvised proof boxes with perfect temperature and humidity, everything. always dense crumb, ugly dusty brown exterior, and hours of work ending in complete frustration. I came close to dumping out my poolish, but I fed it today, maybe I'll try again later this week.

all I want is some bread that rivals what I'd get at a michelin starred restaurant, is that too much to ask?

argh /rant

Ok...

Do the following...

Don't have a loving poolish... don't do all the fancy stuff - we need to take you back to the basics, and then develop from there...

So very, very basic bread...

What you're going to need are the following:
1. White flour (wheat), not any of the fancy stuff - just white wheat flour which is boring and dull - the kind that is bad for health - high in gluten (not king arthur or princess fairytinkleshoes or whatever the gently caress you have, just the most basic white flour).
2. Durum flour, plain old durum, nothing fancy
3. Brown ale (or any other ale)
4. Yeast (I assume that you have dry yeast, but if you have it fresh then it is better)
5. Sugar (white processed sugar - from sugar beets or from cane - doesn't matter)
6. Salt (not kosher - just fine table salt will do)

Ok - basic recipe.

Dump yeast and 30g sugar into a bowl - stir until it liquifies.
Dump 750g white flour and 250g durum in there
Dump 650g ale in there
Dump 30g salt in there

Set the stand mixer on lowest setting, and let it mix for 10 minutes.
Put a lid on the bowl - let it rise for 1 1/2 hours
Form boule on a piece of parchment (this will give you three-four of those - they should be the size of a good sized mammary) cover with a bowl of a fitting size - let it rice for 1 1/2 hours (it will now be a great big tit)

Heat your oven to 230*c

take your peel *under* the parchment and transfer the boule to the stone

Close oven - then reopen, dump 10cc of boiling (well - just boiling or somewhere in that general vicinity) in the bottom of the oven - not hitting your stone - close oven quickly.

Leave the oven for 20 minutes - if the bread is golden brown, then give it 5 minutes more.

If this doesn't produce a bread you enjoy, then you're beyond pedological approach, and should focus on something else than bread.

If it does - then your basic process is in order and you can begin to experiment.

e.g. - when you transferred your baguette to the peel - what was the baguette resting on? Flour hopefully - but what kind? White flour probably.. You should have used durum, as that wouldn't have been soaked as easily, and started sticking.

e.g. you allowed your baguette to rest on your peel - why did you do that - what is the material of your peel? Wouldn't you like a nice dry surface to transport on, rather than something that has been soaking up moisture, or where the baguette had a chance of sticking for after sitting for 20-40 minutes?

e.g. when shaping your bread - do you do so with floured hands? why? Why aren't your hands soaking wet - that will prevent the dough sticking better than floured hands, and then you can let it rest on top of a bed of flour afterwards...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Why would I ruin such beautiful pastry like that?

I often bake brioche only for the purpose of using it for pain perdu.

Call it the resurrection of the christ of breads!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

This is entirely unscientific, but when I did glutensperimentation I found that when I washed the gluten out of the dough I had around 10-15 by weight (well - it was a comparison of wet weights I just realise, so my results are just numbers that anybody can pull out their rear end, because I do not know how much hydration it retained). Barley contains hodein I believe, which basically is a gluten variant, and which should help you a little bit, however there's not much of it there.

I would disregard the hodein, and then just add gluten until you're well above what you have for wheat, as barley is more dense.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

shankerz posted:

Looking for a recipe for a spicy sriracha bread. Anyone have one that they have tried out and vetted?

I've been doing a lot of spiced breads lately, and you definitely shouldn't underestimate the amount of spices that are needed to imbue the bread with their flavour throughout if you mix them in the dough that is.

I would probably, for a single loaf, add 2-3 tbsp sriracha, and then expect a mild flavouring.

The kinds of flavouring I've been using has mainly been either french/italian in nature (rosemary etc) or spicy (cayenne, smoked chili etc) - and it actually seems like the spicy/hot flavouring is the one that tapers off the most.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

guppy posted:

I've made crusty rolls by just making bread and then dividing it into smaller pieces and baking it for less time. How do I make softer dinner rolls? Bake lower and longer? Add fat?

Steam your oven, use durum in your flour.. fat won't really help you I think.

Well - unless you are awesome and make brioche rolls...

Totally make brioche rolls

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I'm loving around a lot with sourdough - takes a lot of experimentation to get somewhere that I want it to be, annoyed like gently caress with the effects of the acidity on the crust right now, trying to adjust that - I want a more basic crust.. also I need higher humidity while proofing than what I have presently, and am thinking of building a proofing cabinet of some sort..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

sourdough is annoying is what i am saying

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I wouldn't call my attempts successful yet - I would call them failures that I will stuff in your face with force... (they taste fine, just not... well... perfect).

But getting a sourdough started is easy take 1/1/2 Coarse rye/whole grain wheat/water - and put in a jar, leave on the counter uncovered overnight.

Day 1: take 1/1/2 coarse rye/wholegrain wheat/water and mix - put in good sized jar (using mason jar myself)
Day 2: Feed it with 1/1/2 stir - leave on counter (covered with wrap)
Day 3: Should start to foam (in the winter this may come later than day 3), pour out 90% of it, and feed with 1/1/2, leave on counter
Day 4: Repeat day 3
Day 5: Use 90% of the sourdough for baking, feed with 1/1/2
Day 6: Store in fridge (note: storing in fridge will make the sourdough more sour, but you will have to feed less)
Day 11: Pour out 90% and feed - leave in fridge (or use the 90% for baking)

When baking:
Take sourdough out of fridge over night - let it get nice and warm and cozy
Use it as a replacement for yeast - just do your bread as you otherwise would
Refeed and put in fridge until the next time - stir it once a week, feeding it.
Your sourdough raise will be a lot slower than it will for yeast dough - this means that I usually bake by making the dough in the morning, and then pushing it down in the afternoon - shaping the breads, leaving them for the second raise overnight and then baking in the morning the next day - there's added advantages (taste) of this, but also issues (drying out of crust) - which is mainly what I am boxing with right now..

The sourdough makes the dough more sour (acidic) and that have some implications for the crust that sucks to figure out right now (sour maillard processes are a bitch compared to basic maillard processes).

If you cannot get the good natural sourdough going (becoming foamy and bubbly), then you can cheat a bit..

Add some yoghurt - just a tablespoon to get some cultures in there
Add some raisins - 5-10 should be enough - they have loads of natural yeast on the skin
Add some hand crafted beer - just a bit - after shaking it - there's still free floating yeast in there - look for bottles with sediment in them
Add some honey - just a bit - again yeast

The cheats are all under the assumption that you're using unprocessed, germ-filled food, rather than the other kind, which basically doesn't do anything for you - don't use filtered beer or other stuff.

And if you kill your sourdough (by forgetting to hold something back, or adding salt etc.) you can be smart, and instead of pouring 90% out when feeding, pour it on a sheet of parchment, and leave it to dry out completely - this can be stored in air tight containers (if really dry) or in the freezer and be an excellent base for the next sourdough - just rehydrate and feed.

Tastewise I think sourdough is the most fitting for coarser bread types, where the light fluffy breads don't benefit much from the sour taste.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Rollofthedice posted:

So I'm a scrub who's been kneading dough with a bread machine my dad originally had lying around gathering dust in his pantry. I then shape it and bake it in the oven. I've been enjoying it a lot so far, even to the point of getting into pre-ferments and the occasional, unsatisfactory attempt at sourdough.

Here are some pics.

50% Rye bread, with caraway seeds and orange zest:

A very tasty sort of dinner bread, flavored with goat's milk:

The same idea as above, but miniaturized:

Also - this looks awesome!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also... this is one of my most recent fuckups.

70% hydration, 40/40/20 rye/stone ground whole white wheat/whole grain durum, first rise 6h, second 16h, raised in couche, baked at 280*c on a stone for 15 minutes. (steamed at 0m and at 2m).

Good crumb, not happy with crust..

Excellent taste

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

try feeding it and see if that gives you a rise

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Do you guys have any tips for making my starter more sour? I've been using the Tartine method (100% hydration starter fed twice a day with 50/50 whole wheat and bread flour) and it's made fantastic bread, albeit very mild. Chad Robertson explicitly says this should be the case, so I'm not surprised, but I'd really like to make some aggressive SF style sourdough bread.

My current experiment is to create a second starter from the Mother at 50% hydration and fed only rye flour, but any other insight would be welcome.

Late to the party - but if you keep it in the fridge, it will become more sour

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I made a potato bread yesterday (which I hosed up because I thought I was all out of sheets, used a pan instead, and seriously hosed up the prepping of the pan, only greasing it) around 40:60 potato:flour...

Then I used it for making french toast today...

This is the most awesome loving thing ever! Better than using brioche for french toast...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Bread..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

So.. I've been growing my own sourdough starter for the last couple of years - and it really takes a punishment like a 350# brony living in his moms basement.

Also been experimenting with proof times, oven rise, gluten fortification (doubling the gluten in the dough by washing 1/2 and adding - gives a really weird bread), but most of all... I've been playing around with forming of the breads lately, and have concluded that the forming is important as all hell...

All in all - been a good couple of years.

Next experience needs to be to see the effect of length of autolyse times...

Edit: it is actually funny how nothing lends itself as much to experimenting as bread.. Three ingredients, and the possibilities are endless..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

bolind posted:

Varimixer Teddy. I'm not sure how well known they are in the US. It's basically a prosumer/small batch version of a pro stand mixer.

And it loving rocks. :getin:

I have the earlier version of that one - with the meat grinder, sausage and veggie processor... have no idea why they stopped adding those functionalities. I've also been using the big brother the Kodiak 30 - which is plain awesome!

But it is a mixer for life!