Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I joined the first time challah bakers club yesterday. :)

I'm very pleased with how it came out and also with the amazing french toast you can make out of it that I had for breakfast today.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

daggerdragon posted:

Wanna eat dat bread. Can you give us/me the recipe? Now I want to try to make it!

Certainly!

I used this one pretty much exactly as it's written there and it came out perfectly as far as I can tell (I've never eaten challah before so I have no real frame of reference).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

daggerdragon posted:

I HAVE ALL OF THESE INGREDIENTS. I WILL BE BACK IN 3-4 HOURS. :catstare:

Godspeed! Oh I just remembered one minor difference - the loaf in the picture was plaited using the 6 strand method thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22p3wIHLupc

not the 2 three strand method given in the link. I did one using that method as well but it came out a little bit lopsided.

^^^ That boule (is it?) is very beautiful, seems nearly a shame to cut it ^^^

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 3, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

daggerdragon posted:

Er... is the dough supposed to crumble apart and look like pulled chicken? I'm trying to do the "knead" step and it's just going all over the place. Help?

How long did you beat it for? I left mine in for about half a hour in total just getting hammered by the bread hook and adding the second 3.5 cup of flour in by about 2 tablespoonfuls at a time. It sounds to (my total noob to yeast bread) ears that maybe it hasn't been mixed for long enough to get the gluten all stretchy?

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 3, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

therattle posted:

Hm. I wonder if there wasn't enough liquid to properly bind it all. Let us know how it turns out!

I'm very anal about measurements, as in, I always buy trays of small local free range eggs (40-50g), but also assume that most recipes mean large eggs (standard size = 63 -73g each), so I weight out the equivalent in large eggs in my small eggs (including the shells) So far has worked out well.

So sorry that the challah worked out badly for you, sometimes I think bread making is half the time about luck and the weather as it is about anything else :( .

Pookah fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 3, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ooh, I just remembered, i have a fun historic baking story. My grandfather was a baker (sadly he died before I was born so I do not remember him at all). Anyway, he and his bakery collegues provided all the bread in their little village back in the 1930's -1960's.

But they had a secret, a secret that made their loaves all glazed and beautiful and appealing to the average bread eater. They staunchly refused to share this secret with bakers from nearby towns with ugly bread so shady tactics were implemented.

Bribery was used. A junior baker was plied with drink until he spilled the beans. Except he lied, even though he was pie-eyed. He tipsily told them that the secret of the glossy loaves was brushed beaten egg - which was an expensive extra for a small bakery in Ireland back then.

I can now reveal the true secret, hidden for more than 60 years. If you whisk flour and water together in (I think) a 1/3 to 2/3 mixture and then brush the resulting fluid onto bread straight after it comes out of the oven, it forms a lovely glaze.

Use this mysery well, it cost one man his, erm well he got a load of free pints for lying about it, but it was also a real point of contention among several townlands for at least 20 years.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 5, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

colonp posted:

I wash my mixing bowl, oil it up and use that with plastic wrap and a towel on top for the rise.

Same here, plus I balance the bowl on the radiator to to the first rise because my house is cold and breezy :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

axolotl farmer posted:

I put the bowl inside the oven and close the hatch. If you got an electric oven, turn on the light. Just remember this:

One click counter-clockwise: light turn on!

One click clockwise: welp,

Oh dear, that looks like it was super fun to clean up.

My oven has a really annoying feature - the knob for raising the temperature is just a free-turning one with no "clicking" type stages. It is also perfectly placed to catch in a teatowel used by a left-handed person to adjust things in the oven. So perfectly placed in fact, that I have on several occasions accidentally turned the temperature up to 250 degrees celcius without noticing until smoke started coming out of the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

None of my ovens with analog dials had clickers. No offense, but if this has happened "on several occasions", maybe you need to stop putting your towel there.

I don't ever leave it there.

It happens because the dial is on the left side of the cooker, so that when I reach into it with my left hand wrapped in a towel, the loose-turning temperature knob occasionally catches in it. It's one of the irritations of being a leftie; devices are generally designed with the assumption you will be using them right-handed.