Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I make pizza dough a lot, but I've noticed a weird phenomenon that's probably because I'm doing something stupid and I'm hoping a bread nerd can explain it to me.

Here's my basic recipe:

~3c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp active dry yeast
+
1.5c warm water
1 tbsp olive oil

I add wet to dry, knead it until it's a good dough, and then let it rise for 1 to 2 hours, form it into the proper shape by tossing/rolling it, and topping+baking it @ 350*F for ~18 minutes. It's pretty springy and makes a nice thick crust, but it never gets very crispy like I would hope pizza dough does and it tastes pretty much like white bread.

EXCEPT I usually make a double batch and freeze half of it for later in the week. The dough that I freeze, I thaw the day of and do the exact same thing and it turns out exactly how I want it (still a thick crust, but golden brown + crispy on the outside and with a nice slightly-sourdough-ish flavor.)

I know that some of that is likely a result of letting the risen dough sit around for longer albeit in the freezer, but I'm not sure why the dough is so much better after a freeze/thaw cycle. The obvious solution is to just do this everytime, but I'm guessing there's some cool bread trick I'm not aware of that can save me the trouble/time of freezing and thawing dough everytime I want to make a pizza. In addition, if any goons have a nice thick pizza dough recipe, I'm all ears :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU