Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I make all the bread that we eat. I normally don't take photos, though. Maybe I will this weekend. Usually I just make big country loafs in regular loaf pans because they're pretty convenient for school lunch and toast and all that. But a couple of times a week there's going to be pizza dough or focaccia or rolls or biscuits or cornbread or something.

Bake bread all the time it's the best thing.

Yeeeep. I usually do two high hydration sourdough baguettes and two loaves of whole wheat sandwich breads a week. So good, so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

daggerdragon posted:

So that's what that weird useless hook thing is for! :haw:

I never made bread before because it just looks so complicated and I'm just so lazy to knead. My KitchenAid was the best gift ever, and if you're telling me that I can use it to MAKE my bread for me, well then, I've got something to try this weekend!

Thanks!

Do it! If you have a KA, it's as simple as put stuff in bowl, pull lever, wait

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sup bread nerds

Sandwich loaf

Kouign Amann

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Buttermilk sandwich loaf

185 g buttermilk or scalded regular milk
31 g butter
68 g of egg
450 g flour
49 g sugar
2 t kosher salt
2.5 tsp yeast

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Made a sourdough boule for the first time in ages. Came out just about perfect.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bolind posted:

Sweet Gods of Wheat that looks good! Cough up the details!

150g super active starter
300 g flour
225g water
8g salt

Tossed everything in the mixer with the dough hook for 4 minutes, covered and tossed in the fridge overnight. Pulled it back out and did a first rise on the counter for 3ish hours, stretching and folding every 30 minutes or so. Did a pre-shape on the counter, shaped again and let rise in a bowl for a hour.

Slashed and set on a cast iron griddle at 500F with a cup of water to steam for 3 minutes. Dropped a stainless steel bowl over the top and dropped down to 450F for 20 minutes. Another 20 minutes without the bowl and it was done.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, mine was in the fridge for 3 weeks untouched. Fed it equal parts water and flour last night and let it sit on the counter. It's bubbling and overflowing its container when I checked just now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Waci posted:

Flour water salt yeast

I like FWSY but goddamn his recipes have a lot of discard.

Any of Peter Reinhart's books are great. I have used the heck out of Bread Bakers Apprentice.

Tartine is also good but don't buy a new copy cuz they're anti-union.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

RoastBeef posted:

I baked a rectangle:

pullman loaf best loaf

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

We can't have our citizens buying all these baguettes, so let's instill some national pride and create an inferior loaf that will plague sandwich menus for decades.

Ciabatta is fine. I just am annoyed that it's pretty much become the default bread for a club sandwich much of the time.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm always slightly amazed at how autolyze works. Lumpy dough to something with structure in like an hour or so. Fuckin bread magic.

Edit: same with stretch and fold

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 20, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My levain rose like crazy and was super quick, but now this dough is going sooooo slowly :negative:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/pain-de-mie/

Making this recipe, my starter and levain were super active and happy, but I'm on hour 6 of bulk fermentation and while it smells yeasty, there's zero indication of anything going on. It is a little cool in my kitchen so I'm gonna let it go longer, but if poo poo isn't doing anything, is it too late to pretend it was the world's longest autolyse and cut some instant yeast through the dough?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My fail loaf produced something surprisingly decent after mixing in a couple grams of commercial yeast and letting it proof overnight in the fridge.

I think I got a bit hasty because I didn't want to be baking at 10pm last night and it probably could have used another hour on its second rise. It's a bit dense and didn't fill out the pan completely on the top.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

How long is that loaf? It looks pretty long.

13x4x4 pullman pan

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

toplitzin posted:

No matter the recipe I've used my dough consistently explodes out of my Pullman pan.

Under proofing vs over proofing don't seem to matter.

I'm using recipes specially for this dimension loaf pan, but there is always a pile of extruded dough when I check the bake.

Is this just Pullman pan things?

Sounds like size of recipe things. I haven't ever had issues with it popping the top off.

Post the recipes. Also, what size pan are you using? For a 9x4x4 pullman, 800g and a 13x4x4 1100g is about spot on for a loaf that fills the pan but isn't so large it causes issues with the crumb or I guess popping the lid.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Should you be using Teflon coated stuff to bake with? I thought high heat is a no no with non stick.

Teflon is supposed to be safe up to 500F. Most loaves you'd use a pan for are gonna top out at 425-450F or so.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any thoughts on what I could insert into my 13" pullman pan to cut it down to 9"?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol kinda figured, I'll just buy a smaller pullman sometime

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Is that... a purpose built bagel slicer?

considering the way that bagel was cut, only if they're in St Louis

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

On the left: failed The Perfect Loaf Pain de Mie. Not sure what happened even. The starter was just at peak when I used it, it got great rise on bulk, it was super strong with good gluten structure, but it didn't rise at all in the pan at all. As a desperation move I just eggwashed it and tossed it in the oven with a pan of water to steam to see if anything would happen and it's just a solid brick.

On the right: I really, really wanted sandwich bread this week so I made the basic King Arthur Pain de Mie and it turned out perfect.

Still wondering the heck went wrong with that first loaf.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Aramoro posted:

With perfect loaf recipes I always have to change them because he's in New Mexico so the ambient temp is 25c when it's more like 18c max here. They work great once you know what you're looking for in the dough.

Yeah, I've never had issues with his other doughs once I started adding an additional 90 minutes or so to each step, but I've tried his pain de mie twice now without good results. His basic AP sourdough is my goto though, I really like it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a structural reason to make the three molded mini-loaves when making milk bread? For toast, I'd rather have the loaf have a consistent height.

I feel like I see it a lot when it's the Japanese inspired milk breads. I never do the individual rolls and I don't have any issues w/ the loaves.

Edit:

Just cut into the above loaf and I'm pretty happy with that. I probably could have gone a couple more minutes cuz the sides started sagging a bit, but definitely nothing wrong with that crumb doing just one large shaped loaf.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Splinter posted:

Probably more to do with where he sets his thermostat than being in New Mexico. Albuquerque is higher elevation than Denver and is regularly below freezing in the winter. Santa Fe is even higher.

He tends to proof at 74-76F, which is a lot warmer than my house. He also is a real stickler about dough temps, which I always forget should be something to take into consideration.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Anyone know a recipe that doesn’t involve special tools or ingredients? I have bread flour and yeast (instant or active). Just starting out, I’ve made loaves that were kinda alright, but dense.

I’ve had the most success with a no knead recipe, but I want to learn how to knead better, and every recipe seems too advanced, is sourdough, or is no knead.

I’m looking for a crisp crust and a soft pillowy crumb with air bubbles.

Do you have a dutch oven or a baking stone?

Edit: Here is the King Arthur basic knead by hand and toss in an oven back of the bag of flour recipe

This isn't gonna be the crispiest, or with a big uneven crumb, but it's a straight forward knead by hand and bake in the oven without anything special bread.

Here's another one that uses a poolish, but not actual sourdough https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/european-style-hearth-bread-recipe

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 6, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tried my hand at making one of those fancy instagram decorated focaccias

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thanks, guys. It was delicious. We ate the entire thing between last night and this morning. So much bread. :negative:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

General question about flour: can I ignore what the package says the flour is for is just focus on protein content? Like when it says “bread flour (13% protein)” can I just use it in any recipe that calls for 13% protein flour? There’s nothing special about that flour that makes it “bread” flour right?

Yep, other places just call it strong flour or whatever. If a recipe calls for a specific percent, anything off the shelf that matches should be just fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

So my boyfriend dabbles in making bread while I'm fairly experienced. He freaks out when something simple might go wrong even when it actually hasn't. Any recomendations for a bread book I can buy him that will teach him the theory behind all of this and markers to work with from recipe to recipe? I want him to have something to learn from because he knows I don't put much stock in following recipes exactly and he doesn't trust me when I do that.

Dude just needs to get baked before he bakes. :2bong:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

I guess this is an issue of you get your butter not in sticks, but each stick is half a cup so I've always found that quite easy!

Also 113 grams

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

KA specifically calls for full fat dry in their recipes. +

It depends, a lot of the KA recipes I've seen say either their branded dry milk or non-fat dry milk from not them is fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I forgot to feed my starter for two days and when I went to feed it just now the consistency was very runny. Is that normal? I’m using a 1:1 whole wheat flour to water by mass ratio.

yep that's p normal

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Keetron posted:

Wait, this is for real?

sourdough is just a mix of water and flour that also has some yeast from your air eating and farting all up in there

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SQUARE BREAD BEST BREAD

plz don't pay attention to the dip on top it's totally square, guys

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You generally want to stop steaming at a certain point to form crust. Less risk of scalding with a gandle if you don't know you need 3 oz of water for 20 mins of steam or whatever magic number it might be.

I dunno how much water you're adding, but I've never had to worry about stopping the steam in my oven. I'm usually tossing like a cup and a half into a pan and just leaving the pan on the bottom shelf until I'm done.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have been making bread in my pullman for the last few weeks and it has mostly been pretty successful, even if I havn't managed a perfectly square one. Certainly a big improvement over sandwich bread from the store.

This weekend I have been thinking about trying my hand at making bagels. Anyone one have any advice/can just tell me it isn't worth the trouble vs just going to a decent bagel shop.

Might as well try it out, not much else to do these days. The biggest thing I learned after a couple trays of bagels is when forming the bagels, make the hole a lot larger than you'd think, cuz when they go into the water, they're gonna puff up a lot and that hole is gonna close up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I usually try to aim for a 1200 gram loaf or so in a 13x4 pullman.

The last couple I posted were more or less the King Arthur Pain Mie recipe.

It's a perfectly good milk bread recipe as written. But, I do usually make a couple modifications. I tend to not have potato flakes or flour around, so I usually just skip it or add in a small amount of some other flour I have laying around, whole wheat, light rye, whatev. I also like adding a scoop of diastatic malt to the recipe.

Edit: I'm also terrible at having butter softened, so I'm usually shoving a stick of butter in my pocket while I'm getting the dough going and just adding it in later in the mix.

I guess what I'm saying is this is a super flexible recipe lol

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 4, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

For softening butter, boil up water and pour it into a tall (warmed, so it doesn’t shock and shatter) glass. Let it heat up while you weigh out your butter. Shape it into a tall rectangle and smash it onto a plate so it doesn’t fall over. Empty out the boiling water and cover your butter monolith. It should usually soften enough by the time you need it if it’s the first thing you do.

That's way too much work. It's a lot easier to shove it in a pocket.

I'd soften in a microwave but I don't own one

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That is a v nice looking crumb. I should start tossing leaner doughs into the pullman.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bolind posted:

I just got a sweet rear end hipster scoring knife. Check their instagram for how they make them.

lol at ppl still calling things hipster in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Murgos posted:

So my pan-de-mei doesn’t come out square. It just kind of domes. Should I just put the lid on and let it rise until it’s filled all the corners and then bake it? Let it rise over the lip and the. Deflate the middle?

What size pan and how large of a dough are you doing? I have a 13x4 pullman and I aim for 1200g for the loaf. For a 9x4 or 9x5, I like 800g or so. I let it proof until the dome is juuuust about to get to the height of the rim.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Never thought letting it rest would help, sounds kinda counter productive but I’ll keep that in mind. Just ate this bread and it was the fluffiest bread I’ve ever eaten.

Resting the dough after combining is called autolysis. It helps the flour hydrate completely, as well as starts the gluten forming process cutting actual knead time down by quite a bit. It also helps develop flavor more.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 7, 2021