Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey goons, a little help for a newbie bread maker.

I'm going to try this recipe that was posted earlier:

500g flour
1tsp each yeast and salt
1Tbsp each veg oil and sugar/honey
Approx 320ml water or water and milk

I have a question about yeast. I bought what I think is dry yeast and my GF told me there is also fresh yeast or something which does not last as long.
What are the differences between these two types? Also I bought the dry sort and all purpose flour will that be okay for the bread making?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
My first attempt at baking a bread didn't go so bad I think :ohdear:
It is cooling down at the moment so I'll add an inside shot later on.
I think I did not slice the top properly and so it cracked on the sides.

I was not too sure how long to cook it either but I think it turned out not too bad.

Just sliced it, and wow it's delicious. :woop:

Le0 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 30, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm leaving my second bread I ever made to prove right now and I was wondering something. In the OP it says that with a mixer it should take 2-3min to knead but we have a Kitchenaid and I feel it takes longer than that. Is there any technique to know when the dough is kneaded enough?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I made a couple bread using the recipe from the OP quite successfully recently.
The only problem I have is that my crust is not crusty at all, quite the contrary it's spongy.

I think from searching the web that the problem is that there is not enough steam in my oven ? Is that correct and if so how can I correct this?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Thanks for these tips, I'll give them a try.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Great job Baron Fuzzlewhack, your bread looks nice.

I'm also a bread apprentice and I was wondering something. My loaves, when compared to the one of Baron Fuzzlewhack, seem to be way less airy. Is it because I knock back too much or knead too much? I'm using the OP recipe by the way.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys, today my bread making didn't go as planned.
I was doin a simple bread based on the recipe in the OP with a few modifications. I made it exactly the same as I usually do but for the second raise it did not go as high as usual.

This resulted in a way flatter bread than usual and also drier. What could cause this?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

The Doctor posted:

If your house is cold, that is probably the cause. My house is freezing in the winter so I rise my bread in my bedroom next to the heater. If your temp doesn't hover at at least around 21 degrees celsius your rise will be delayed, much lower and it can sit for hours and not move.

That might be it, weather got colder around here recently. I will try placing the dough near a warm source.

therattle posted:

Not as much liquid as usual? Colder temp leading to inadequate second rise? Are you using weights or volumes for flour?

I did not change the liquid ratio. Like I said I think it was the temperature.
I'm using weights for flour

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I was wondering something, the water you add to make dough, what temperature should it be? Warmish? Could adding very cold water produce a smaller rise? I know this must be a stupid question but I'm trying to find out why my breads aren't rising as much as usual and I think water temperature is the only thing I've not been careful with.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Ahh well I guess I found my culprit. I don't know why but recently I didn't think about the temperature of the water I added and it was mostly very cold so I was wondering why my breads were not rising as much.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I've been making the standard loaf described in the OP for a few time now and adding some of my own stuff to it. I tried to make the same thing but with 2/3 all purpose flour and 1/3 Buckwheat flour. The taste is really good but I noticed that the bread has a tendency of raising less. Is that expected?

Should I just let it rise longer or add more water maybe?

I'm also thinking about making my own sour-dough starter thing. Is this a simple thing to do? Can I then simply use sour-dough starter instead of dry yeast in recipe or should I look for specific recipes?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

NightConqueror posted:

Buckwheat has no gluten and adding so much to your loaf will significantly diminish it's rise and crumb structure. If you want that flavor I'd suggest no more than 5% buckwheat flour but add toasted buckwheat groats to the loaf instead.

Oh thank god for this... I'm a noob at this and was wondering what the gently caress was going on.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm trying to use this app, which is pretty good but I have a question.

I like to make this recipe which was posted in this thread some times ago:

code:
500g flour
1tsp each yeast and salt
1Tbsp each veg oil and sugar/honey 
Approx 320ml water or water and milk
Seeds
So I'm trying to enter this recipe in the app. I added all purpose flour to 100% and water to 64% that is the easy part.
Now how do I easily convert tsp yeast/salt and 1 tbsp veg oil and sugar to %?

EDIT: Does 3g of yeast and 5.5g of salt for 500g of flour seems appropriate? I found some website that says that 1 tsp of yeast equals to 2.83g and 1 tsp of salt equals to 5.69g but I'm not sure this is correct.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 5, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thank you for that site, will be useful.

Is there anyway to share recipes in Panadero? Would be awesome.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

dedian posted:

When you're shaping the final loaf, are you making sure to get adequate surface tension (it should seem taut). Also, when you say "knock it back", you're not completely de-gassing the dough, right?

How do you achieve surface tension? Also I never know how much is too much knock back. Do you like only fold it once or two times or more?

Also a stupid question that is bothering me. How the hell does they make gluten free bread rise ???

Le0 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 5, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

WhoIsYou posted:

King Arthur Flour has a series of videos on YouTube about making bread. This one demonstrates a good way to preshape your loaves to get the surface you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt6pbWYbqPE

Gluten free bread can be leavened with yeast. Though I've never seen a bulk fermentation on gluten fee bread, only a final proofing.

Thanks for the vid.
Do you have any other interesting youtube channels? I could watch dough being worked all day, this poo poo is mesmerizing :allears: And I'd like to learn stuff as well.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 6, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Is this type of bowl suitable to store sourdough starter or should it have a loose closing lid?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
What is an average cooking temperature and time?

I made bread today and cooked for 20min at 240°C and then 15min at 190°C but sadly it came out overcooked and crust very dark.
Next time I will lower temperature I think but I was looking for a ball park time and temp?

It's a great app. People are assholes some times... I will rate your app.

Noticed you just updated it with sharing. Just a heads up that when I try to calculate one of my recipes quantities it crashes on me. However it doesn't crash with the rustic boule recipe?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 9, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I finally made a bread I'm quite happy with. I still have a lot to learn but I'm getting there.

%5 buckwheat with mixed seeds. Very yummy

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
No crumb shot yet, its cooling down :)
I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for the bug fixing!

EDIT: Crumb shot!

Still can't achieve a crusty crust tho :eng99: Can't get enough steam in my oven I think...

EDIT2: Thanks for the fix to Panadero, it works perfectly now

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 12, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm going to try making the Rustic Boule listed in Panadero. Basically making Poulish and then tomorrow baking the stuff.

So I just mix the poulish stuff and put it in the fridge? Then tomorrow when I'm ready to bake simply add remaining flour to poulish knead then rise twice like usual?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I love baking bread!
First bread using my baking stone :eng101: This is one is a bit :pwn: but it was very tasty anyway.

I really want to try one of these bread using poolish. Does anyone have a simple recipe handy?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I received the Tartine Bread book for my bday! I'll have stuff to bake, wish I had more time.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I've been making the same simple bread for some time now and I'd like something else.
Could anyone recommend something? Also can someone post the no knead recipe I'd like to try this one.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
What diameter dutch oven do you guys use? I'm looking for one currently.
I took a look at Le Creuset stuff but this poo poo is so loving expensive it's unbelievable...

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks guys, I'll take a look

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Nibblet posted:

I own this one and it works pretty great.

I was eyeballing one of these though cause it just looks cool for making oblong loaves.

I see yours is 30cm wide. I found one not very expensive but it's 24cm wide (approx 9.5 inches) think it would do or is it too small?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
On day two of my whole rye starter, small bubbles are starting to appear, hopefully it will live :zombie:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Day 3: The starter has nearly doubled in size, it's alive, it's alive!! :science:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Day 4 of the starter, smells :barf::barf::barf:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Yeah I'm gonna do that.
My recipe says to throw away two third as well, is that how it should be?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

therattle posted:

Depends how much starter you want.

But should I always remove a portion of it when feeding? My starter on day 5 is starting to develop a nicer smell, however while having many bubbles it didn't really double in size in 24 hours.
Recipe tells me to throw away two third again and feed but I'm wondering if I should throw away less than that?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Okay so basically feed without removing anything so that I can get enough of it then keep removing so that it stays at the same amount.
Also I should feed it when it start smelling like nail polish remover?

And that's it? Do you think I can use it already for baking at 6 days or should I leave it longer to mature? It currently smells nice and fruity.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I don't think there is much difference between what is called bread flour and regular AP flour, you can probably just use it in its place but maybe I'll let someone who actually use the stuff chime in.

My starter is ready for baking I think, what recipe do you guys recommend?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I made my first sourdough bread. I think my starter is still too young, there was not a lot of taste at all and not many bubbles.. :eng99:
The crust was very crunchy but a bit too thick. It was still tasty but I think I can improve.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
How long after feeding do you guys usually use your sourdough in a poolish?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Obligatory Toast posted:

'Bout four hours or so, but my kitchen is a little on the warm side. It'll take about 6 if it's cooler.

How do you determine if you leave it for 4 or 6 hours? The amount that the starter rose in the jar?
I made another Sourdough when feeding my starter a few hours before baking instead of the the thing I did last time, i.e. feed several days before baking and the bread was way better with bigger holes. However I starter baking sometimes when I felt like it didn't really check my starter.

Another question, could anyone share a good hamburger buns recipe with weight of ingredients instead of cups? Most of the recipes I found are asking for cups of stuff and I prefer using grames.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

wheez the roux posted:

loosely adapted pain a l'ancienne I made for banh mi:

Do you have a recipe? I never done banh mi and it looks delicious

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm having a hard time getting my sourdough starter going, I've done two attempts with whole rye flour mixed with an equal volume of water and left in an open jar on a shelf, and both times they got some bubbles on the third day, died completely by day four and then grew mouldy. In the second attempt I used bottled water because the water in Plymouth has a fair amount of chlorine in it. Any suggestions?

http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/rye-sourdough-starter-in-easy-steps/
I used this recipe and it worked very well. From reading your post it looks like you used this one as well?

Mine is going very well, however mine was not as active as fast as theirs. They said that after 4-5 days it should be raising consistently but mine took maybe one week instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'd like to give a no-knead a try, what is the recommended recipe?