Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I got a friends sourdough starter as a birthday present and have no idea what to do.

Do I keep it in the fridge? Is there a good guide on feeding? Do I give it a name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

beerinator posted:

Give it a name. Mine is James Earl Starter Jr.

Keep it in the fridge. Buy a kitchen scale and get used to using grams. I use this one. Check youtube for sourdough guides (that's what I did). This one is ok but the guy is kinda intense sometimes.

Look for some sourdough starter guides on youtube. This guy is good, but a bit spastic at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAiDki7AQA

My personal schedule for my starter is that I pull it out of the fridge once a week and feed it once or twice and then put it back in the fridge until sometime the next week. It should last in the fridge for multiple weeks if not even months or longer.

When I pull mine out to feed it, you have to "discard" some before feeding it or else it would end up growing and growing until it overwhelmed your house. I use my scale and I spoon out enough starter into a bowl until I have only 50 grams left in the jar (you need to know your jar weight in order to do this or you can scoop out weigh and then put back in).

So now I have 50 grams left of my starter in a jar. To that I add 100 grams of new flour and 100 grams of filtered water. Stir it all up and leave it in a warm spot for 12 hours or so. If it's a healthy starter it will form bubbles and possibly double or more in size during those 12 hours. If you have a cold house you might be able to put the starter in your oven (turned off) and turn the oven light on and that might get closer to a warm temp than the rest of your house.

Now you have a fed starter and you have your discard. You can throw your discard out or you can find a recipe to bake and use the discard in that. Most people find a recipe before they feed the starter and then start the process with the discarded starter.

King Arthur Flour has a fantastic website with tons of good recipes in cups and weights and they have a good blog with a lot of useful information. They also have one of the most wholesome comment sections on the entire internet. Very helpful. I'm on this website frequently for recipes and tips.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/

Thanks! Here’s hoping Clint Yeastwood turns into some tasty loaves in the near future.

My friend gave me some starter because I was asking about the bread they kept making. This is a whole new world of baking that I was not privy to before.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Working from home is going to be very good for my bread practice and very bad for my svelte figure.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I had an open bag of ~18 month old bread flour hiding in the back of my pantry, so I used it for sourdough in lieu of scouring empty shelves at grocery stores. The bake and crumb look good, but the oven spring is noticeably less than prior bakes with newer flour.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

I’ve gotten into a good routine with sourdough with my WFH days. Feed starter at lunch, make dough after work, knock out before sleep and throw in fridge and bake whenever

Same.

I never really got social media envy before baking bread. My Instagram’s ‘recommended’ feed used to be pictures of animals and travel locations, which, sure whatever. Now it’s “oh here’s a little loaf I threw together this afternoon. Easy to work with since it’s low hydration - only 85% - but the artisan fresh milled flour brought a nice oven spring and perfect crumb!”

:argh:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tell me more about those rolls

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Splinter posted:

Even just a baking pan on the rack below dutch oven might be enough to stop the bottom from burning while doing everything else the same (i.e., still pre-heat the dutch oven). It works for me.

Seconded, a baking pan under my Dutch oven hasn’t fully solved the burning when I make two small loaves out of a 500g(+150g starter) dough, but its been perfect for when I make one loaf from the full dough.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ll try the cold bake method this week. Planning on the following:
A - set oven to 475, put cold Dutch oven and dough in there to hang out. Set timer for 20 mins once oven hits temp.
B - after 20 mins, take lid off Dutch oven and drop to 450. Bake for another ~25 mins depending on how the bread looks.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tried the cold-ish oven method for this weekend’s bake. I let the oven preheat to 450 before putting everything in, and the dough went from fridge to cold dutch oven to oven. Baked with lid on for 35 minutes and lid off for another 20. Having a cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven helped prevent burning the bottom of the loaf.

Buying a cheap flour duster off Amazon upped my presentation game, though I could have used more flour this go round. The pattern on the bottom crust comes from the parchment lined colander I’m using to fridge the dough overnight while I waffle on ordering a banneton.

Posting these directly from my phone, sorry if huge:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Stringent posted:

You can get a lame and a pack of razor blades for like $10, just sayin'.

Williams Sonoma has a lame for a measly $35, and we all know spending money on tools makes results better.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The jump from 70% hydration to 78% hydration made a huge difference in sticky dough. It was stretch and folding beautifully, but drat shaping was a pain. I don’t know if I’m shaping right - I’m just making a boule, and big bubbles start coming up instead of a nice smooth surface.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m making the King Arthur one today, but am going to try chopped fresh rosemary instead of dried rosemary since that’s the only rosemary I have. I’m assuming it will still be good.

Update: the crackers have been out of the oven for a couple minutes and half of them have been eaten. drat they’re good.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 30, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The bottom of my loaves got a ton better when I used the baking pan trick and dropped the heat from 475 to 450.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Got up this morning, tucked Foodbod's sourdough into its banneton into the fridge, put together a waffle sponge for supper. It's the most peaceful part of my day. I still need to work on transferring the bulk rise to the banneton without compressing the bubbles.

KA's waffle recipe says to "let rise at cool room temperature, 65-70." My fellow Americans, you are weird. That's just room temperature; in fact, in winter we have the thermostat set to 65.

Since it’s summer my thermostat is set to 77. Anything lower would burn out my AC since we’re hitting triple digits outside.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

What's the next step after I dial in my regular sourdough? I've tried rosemary/garlic before but the garlic inhibited my rise. Any other good flavor combos

I’m awaiting a friend’s verdict on his black peppercorn and Parmesan sourdough loaf, but the ingredient mix sounds promising.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chard posted:

the thing that lockdown has taught me, and which was a major hangup in my kitchen working, is that bread is loving easy and not hard at all. you can gently caress up almost any aspect of Bread and it will still be Food even if it sucks. i forgot to salt a dough and still ate the whole resulting loaf with just extra salt on the butter.

that being said, it has also taught me that you can get as scientific and anal with the process as you want and thats fun too. but for me, just being able to Food from raw flour was a huge step.

Baking bread is kinda like grades in school. You can put in a bunch of effort, be scientific with all the different variables, and get everything dialed in for an A+, or you can get a solid B/C just by following the general process and ratios for a loaf. Sure I’ll go for the best loaf possible if family is coming over for dinner, but Cs get degrees when I want a low effort sandwich bread for lunches.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The King Arthur sourdough discard pancakes are incredibly good. I’m getting to the point where I’m feeding my starter just to build a batch of discard for crackers/pancakes/etc.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

I've been making good use of their pizza dough recipe. Still have way too much discard for my taste though... maybe Saturday will have to be a pancakes day.

The standard pancakes are great, and adding chocolate chips really makes it a party.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Their sourdough crackers are great for using up discard too.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-crackers-recipe

I make 'em with everything bagel seasoning on top.

The crackers are indeed amazing; I branched out into pancakes because I didn’t want to overdo it on the crackers.

Next up, biscuits :getin:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know if I subtracted 100g from my intended flour amount or added 100g to my water, but the sourdough proofing on my counter seems to be closer to 90% hydration than my targeted 70%. We’ll see how it turns out - I put it in the mixer for 8 minutes and it didn’t pull together all that much. That’s what I get for mixing ingredients before drinking my morning coffee.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

poo poo I haven’t fed my fridge starter in at least a month, likely closer to two. I’ll do that now and report back.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

poo poo I haven’t fed my fridge starter in at least a month, likely closer to two. I’ll do that now and report back.

Follow up, fed Clint Yeastwood right after this post and he doubled in size after a few hours in a 70 degree kitchen. He won’t make any Instagram quality crumb at the current strength, but I’ll build a levian with him tomorrow and I’m betting it turns out a solid loaf of bread for home use.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Re: levain vs starter

My understanding is a levain is an offshoot of starter built specifically to dump into a recipe. So if your recipe calls for 150g ripe starter/levain, you could either:
-do a big feed of starter. Once risen, scoop out 150g to add to the dough, making sure not all the starter is used
-scoop out 30g of starter from your container and feed it with 60g flour and 60g water and set aside to rise. This is the levain. Once the levain is mature, you can dump the whole thing in the dough because it was purpose built for this loaf of bread and you have your normal starter feeding away in another container.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mine is in a mason jar in the fridge. This week I’m going to split some off and do daily feeds on the countertop to see if I can get more of an oven spring.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only reason you discard anything is so you don’t end up with a metric fuckton of starter right? Or is there some other reason?

Correct. If you don’t discard after a feeding with 100g flour/water, you’ll need to add more flour and water for the next feed to support the bigger starter. And so on and so forth until you’re doing feeds in a 20 gallon bucket like a bakery.

Alternatively, you feed starter to build discard for the King Arthur sourdough pancakes or rosemary crackers.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mine is in a mason jar in the fridge. This week I’m going to split some off and do daily feeds on the countertop to see if I can get more of an oven spring.

On day 3 of countertop feeding a small starter with 25g flour, 25g water, 5 g starter every 12 hours or so. It’s been getting a nice bubbly rise, but it didn’t really do anything until 8-10 hours in. This morning I used 5g whole wheat flour + 20g AP flour and it took off a whole lot faster, so I’m going to keep doing that and see where things go for a Friday bake.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

What are some of your favorite recipes for getting rid of a lot of starter? I know I've seen some pizza dough recipes that are primarily starter. Anything else? I've got a few cups of it to go through to get it back down to a more manageable size.

King Arthur’s sourdough pancakes or waffles are A+, my family just made the pancakes this morning. Their crackers are good enough that half the batch reliably disappears from the cooling rack.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I normally do the starter in the fridge and feed twice before making dough cycle. This last bake I split off and did a small daily feed on the counter for a week and got a really strong bubbly boy going.

The resulting bread was essentially the same as loaves made with the fridge starter, which leads me to believe I need to focus more on bulk fermentation and stop under fermenting. It’ll really take a day of making double the dough and doing some tests at different fermentation lengths.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I need to completely reset this whole sourdough thing, outside of my starter. I tried The Perfect Loaf’s best sourdough recipe but I was aiming for a 75% hydration loaf but my scale fritzed and I probably got closer to 90%. I probably could have salvaged it if I was comfortable with my bulk fermentation, but I made a pancake loaf despite a ton of stretch and folds.

Anyone have a favorite basic recipe for babies?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I should clarify the scale is great, but I went over the weight limit because I was using a new heavy mixing bowl + twice the normal recipe. I’ve never had an issue with the ~500g loaves I do. This time I was aiming to do some comparisons on oven temperature + baking time, but instead ended up with frisbees because they never held a shape.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is there a ton of benefit to using fresh milled/fancy flour as compared to grocery store stuff? My store has a bunch of King Arthur options, but I found a mill near me and want to check it out.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A haphazard shaping strategy led to a nice lil butthole in the side of my loaf

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dacap posted:

I’m joking around, I do appreciate the calculation percent. I’ve been using a recipe on FoodGeek that has a calculator based on dimensions built in and it’s been working well.

Today I had the struggle of trying to shape this mess:

Got it to here with some effort, not perfect but hopefully will bake ok

How do you even shape something like that? I’ve never been able to get past the point where I go “ah gently caress it let’s see if the banneton and fridge will help it hold shape tomorrow,” which clearly never works.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s October. The bread is becoming sentient and will be talking to you by the 31st. Listen carefully - it will go silent come November.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

JoshGuitar posted:

This is the closest I've ever come to having a nice ear. A few dozen more loaves and maybe my sourdough will finally look as good as it tastes.

Looks good tho

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m seeing if Clint Yeastwood is still kicking after spending the better part of a year neglected in the back of the fridge. There were some signs of life after the first feeding, so if it revives it’ll be made up of some resilient stuff.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m seeing if Clint Yeastwood is still kicking after spending the better part of a year neglected in the back of the fridge. There were some signs of life after the first feeding, so if it revives it’ll be made up of some resilient stuff.

Picture posting isn’t working on the app, but 4 feedings got the starter back to normal after 10 months of neglect in the fridge. Very happy with the oven spring it got out of some old flour as well.

The bread was good, but the KA sourdough biscuits were better. Incredibly flaky and unfussy to make.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That looks hella good

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

~~~Do the Dew~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I want to saw the entire craggy top off and eat just that.
Looks great.

Do it. That bread globe is your oyster, there’s no rules on how to slice. Cut the rest into croutons and continue on the crispy crust journey.