Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I want to get into baking bread, I've tried in the past and been poo poo at it, but I had some success with tortillas recently and I think I'm ready to try again. (Turns out you actually do need to knead for the amount of time they tell you!) I was planning on using a poolish, my big question is regarding baking the thing. My dutch oven is TINY especially in the vertical sense. Would I be better off baking on a sheet or making very small loaves? There's only two of us, so small loaves aren't a huge problem, as I'm pretty sure I can keep the extra dough in the fridge so long as I do it at the right stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Gotcha, thank you! All the tutorials I've been watching are really big on the dutch oven thing and my oven's kind of lovely, but I probably have a long way to go before I can start blaming the oven for my bread failures.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've got a poolish going and I'm unreasonably excited by how farty and bubbly it is. This is better than having a cat.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Hey! I successfully breaded! The flavor is good, but I'd like more air in my crumb. But not bad at all! I think even as high of a hydration as this dough was supposed to have it was still too slack, or maybe I just need more practice doing the tuck and folds etc. Did the two cast iron bake method, and I wonder if I should have adjusted the baking temp/time as I think it was done after about half an hour as opposed to the 45 min the recipe said. (I thought it looked done at about 27 min in but I tend to underbake and left it in for another 10 and it got a bit scorched also I had WAY too much flour dusted on top)

recipe from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mehXzl7yHA

quote:

150g or ROUGHLY 1 C. AP FLOUR
150g or ROUGHLY 2/3C. WATER (ROOM TEMP)
1 small pinch YEAST
- let the poolish ripen on counter 4-24 hours, preferably at least 16

DOUGH
280g or 1 1/4C.WATER (98F)
2g or 1/2 TSP YEAST
ALL OF THE POOLISH
350g or 2 1/4 C. AP FLOUR
50g or ROUGHLY 1/3 C. WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
10g or roughly 1.5 TSP KOSHER SALT

BAKING TIMES/ TEMPS

METHOD 3: Preheat Dutch Oven at 485-500 for 30-40 minutes, bake at 485 covered for 18 minutes, and 485 uncovered for additional 25-30 depending on oven and desired color.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

475 maybe? Or even lower?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

haha, I did, I just did a poo poo job of it. Those 4 dark spots on the top are my scores.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well that's weird as poo poo. Same recipe as before, but while the first dough was really slack (honestly way too slack even until the final shaping) after autolysing this one feels like it could actually be kneaded. My poolish was much better this time, and I used about 10g more WW flour. I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad one but I'm a bit worried to doesn't look like a high hydration dough anymore.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I like when things go as planned, also I'm not sure if I should keep up with the stretch and fold or just knead the drat thing

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

That's kind of what I've been doing. I get about two good stretchy folds, but then the whole thing kind of seizes up and doesn't want to stretch anymore, it goes from loose and happy to tight at around fold 2.5

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh awesome! Batch 1 stayed pretty floppy all the way to the end, and the youtube I got the recipe from had a very slack dough all the way until the final shaped proof, so I was getting worried. Its in the oven, we'll see what happens.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I was worried because the loaf seemed much heavier than my last batch, but surprisingly the crumb was much better (air pockets!). Good chew, but I think 450 was a bit too low to get the crust I wanted. We'll try 475 next time and give it more time to proof after shaping. It was admittedly a very scant half hour when it should probably have been a generous 45. Patience is hard.

edit: Does whole wheat flour have any effect on rise?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yes, I've been doing the cast iron skillet with ice cubes method

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Firmly convinced that if I adjust two particular variables in my recipe I'll have the bread I'm hoping for I decided at the last moment that I should instead gently caress around with my preferment because why do things the sensible way

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Found this while trying to troubleshoot my noncrispy crust. This article has the fewest typos of anything I've seen on the page so far.

https://thebreadguide.com/impress-women-with-your-baking-skills-5-step-guide/

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

When I'm doing my final rise typically I do it in a tea towel lined bowl with a healthy amount of flour, but it seems like less mess and work to do it in a lightly oiled bowl, I didn't have any problems the time I did that that couldn't be explained by other stuff like not proofing long enough etc, but now I'm curious why the towel and flour over a little bit of oil?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've got pretzel dough rising and I can't find my baking sheet anywhere(I think its at the inlaws). Can I use a pizza pan covered in parchment or I could also use my tiny baking pan that would fit maybe 2 pretzels at a time.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I had to use both and both were totally fine. Gonna bake the baking soda next time for greater alkalinity but otherwise holy crap pretzels are easy. A few min after we ate the first ones my husband started negotiating not taking any to his parents tomorrow and keeping them all here.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My naan recipe recommended rising the dough in a well oiled instant pot on the yogurt setting and it doubled in size in almost no time at all, half of what I was expecting (my kitchen isn't cold but its not really warm either). Is there a downside with other (non-flatbread) doughs wrt oven rise etc in a faster rise like that? Less sour/tangy I guess from short fermentation?

Amazing bread shots on the page, holy crap

edit: gently caress, well they're all on the last page, go look.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I was getting a lot of conflicting information regarding baked baking soda baths, 2/3 of them said you have to rinse the pretzels after, but all the actual humans I talked to said not to bother. In the spirit of science, my first batch in the oven was half and half. Unrinsed was 100% the way to go.
Behold, the virgin rinsed pretzel vs the chad unrinsed.

I think I could stand to have baked the soda a bit longer for more browning, but they're absolutely delicious.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think the most amazing thing about that is how clean your area looks for that having happened.

edit: what happened to the pan? Did it get bent or something? I can't imagine how anything as thick as that could force its way out like that

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I've been working from this recipe:

280 g lukewarm water
2g yeast
350g or 2 1/4 C. AP FLOUR
50g or ROUGHLY 1/3 C. WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
10g or roughly 1.5 TSP KOSHER SALT
Poolish (300g)

It tends to make one huge round loaf, but I'd like to split the dough and bake half tonight and half tomorrow after an overnight ferment in the fridge. When should I split it and how would using a smaller loaf affect baking time? I've been doing 500 for 12 min and 485 for 20ish.

edit: I think I found the answers, I was phrasing my search wrong. Cut the bake time by almost half, and chuck the dough in after shaping for anyone who was curious.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 23, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Made the king arthur english muffin toasting bread and holy poo poo it's easy. Mix stuff, put in loaf pan, rise and bake. Came out great and it's got a perfect crumb for toast. Lots of little pockets ready to suck up butter.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

mdxi posted:

It also makes truly superior cinnamon toast.

Can confirm. It's just perfect for any toast related project

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm making the king arthur no knead recipe and I somehow only added half the water when I mixed my dough, I figured out what I'd done about 20 min in, and tried mixing the rest of the water in and its very lumpy. Is there any saving this?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I mixed it in about 20 min after the initial stir. I've tried to incorporate it as gently as possible, and the lumps are shrinking, so who knows. Maybe it'll figure itself out after a day or two in the fridge.

edit: I've elected to just do the sensible thing and start over

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 1, 2023

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

wouldn't that just be an extended autolyse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I miss their baker's help line, or at least it being a 24/7 chat with almost no wait. Now I just have to bother you guys.