Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Does anyone have any advice on how to knead super sticky doughs? I made challah last weekend and it turned out pretty poorly (dense, uneven areas of texture within the loaf, chewy in a bad way), probably because I didn't knead it enough. But what can you do to keep kneading when half the loaf comes off stuck to your hands or smeared on the counter when you do one knead? I didn't have a bench scraper, so I used a health insurance ID card instead :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

WhoIsYou posted:

When you're working with wet dough, you can start it by mixing either with a spatula or by hand in the bowl. Then turn it onto the counter and begin stretching and folding it as shown in this video. If you start with cold water and extend the bulk fermentation time to 2.5-3 hours, you can do the same stretch and fold a couple more times every hour or so to give the dough more strength. You'll definitely want to pick up a bowl scraper (<$1) or a bench scraper ($5-$10) to help work the dough.

For a challah specifically, you want a fairly firm dough. You should be able to knead it easily on the counter without having it stick. Next time work in more flour. Use a strong bread flour or high-gluten flour and knead for at least ten minutes.
Total frustration - total agony. I made pita this weekend using a no-knead recipe due to my kneading failure last time. That was an even worse failure, but I kind of understand why now. The Richard Bertinet video about sweet dough gave me an idea of the right technique, but I didn't do it for nearly long enough, especially using all purpose flour like I was.

Bread flour next time for sure. The recipes I was working with said it didn't matter but I guess that my kneading has been subpar at best and I'm not developing any kind of spring!! The next challah I bake will be beautiful and I'll post a nice picture here for everyone to see. I've only ever made bread machine bread before which is hardly even work.

Thanks to everyone for their advice :)

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

not bad for a second attempt!! tastes kinda dry and the crumb is a little denser than I would like, but it was a dream to knead. next time I will be daring and follow the larger amount of water to get it nice and soft. King Arthur never fails me :kimchi: thanks to everyone who gave kneading tips!

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Any trip reports / holistic thoughts on Rose Levy Beranbaum? Her Bread Bible has given me some gems (flaxseed loaf, royal Irish soda bread, English muffins), some mediocre (raisin walnut bread, butter-dipped dinner rolls) and one catastrophe (the focaccia soup that baked up into a sick greasy flatbread). Both by reputation and by the occasional killer results I get, I would trust her over most other sources, and yet there are some real dogs in those pages.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Huxley posted:

It took me 3 tries to really nail the King Arthur sandwich recipe (dead yeast, then pan too big, then perfection), and now it's all anyone in the house wants for breakfast, except I'm running out of instant yeast.

Anyone ever made a pan sandwich loaf out of no-knead?

I make bread pan loaves out of 90% of the doughs I make and overall, it works great. Specifically, Jim Lahey's no-knead recipe turns out :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Haha I've been making rolled biscuits! But yeah, they're coming out like very homogenous drop biscuits.

I know exactly the distinction in biscuit texture you're referring to, and I prefer the layered/vertical style too. How else can I get the even split crucial for a stable foundation for the fried egg sandwich jfc

I've been baking with my typical biscuit recipe, but using Stella Parks' pastry method to get the texture I want. She basically cubes the butter (1:1 butter:flour by weight iirc) and roughly flattens the cubes between her fingers in the flour to rub it in, but only smashes each cube once. Then she does 1 book fold like making puff pastry, rolls it out lightly just to adhere the layers, and cuts the biscuits straight out of the tall-rear end pastry stack. It always seems like the butter pieces will be way too large but it turns out perfectly.

toplitzin, that loaf looks like an angelic cloud