Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Gave it a shot today, shat out this monstrosity (with dramatic lighting!):

That was my attempt at doing a no-knead bread based on the recipe in the archived thread. I don't have a scale so I had to do it by volume. I used roughly 2 1/4 cups flour to 1 1/2 cups water. Let it sit for 14-15 hours. I still had a goopy mess that was impossible to fold properly at that point, but I rolled with it anyway.

It tasted fine, if a bit too salty, but obviously didn't rise enough, and the crumb came out pretty doughy. I may have used 1/8 teaspoon yeast rather than 1/4 which probably didn't help.

So I rolled up my sleeves and started kneading a new loaf to give that a shot instead! It came out much nicer:

Complete with bread-vagina:

And crumb shot:

I couldn't tell you how much flour I used because I tried the 3:2 flour:water ratio again, found it too goopy once again, so just started throwing in flour until it was possible to handle/knead without it sticking much. I also used less salt than I had in the no-knead up above, and instead of throwing the active dry yeast into the dry ingredients, I tried my hand at activating it in some warm water with a bit of honey. I doubt it changed much, but this loaf came out pretty, fluffy, and moist as hell, if a bit bland.

All-in-all a fun way to spend a day off from work. Definitely going to keep experimenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

copen posted:

This can sit in the fridge for a week covered and can pull dough off. It makes about 3 medium size loves.

That sounds neat. I'm not sure I could go through quite that much bread in a week, but maybe if I made it tastier I'd chew through it faster, too! Or toss some at my friends/neighbors.

copen posted:

What did you bake it on? what temp? did you make steam in the oven?

I baked both on a metal cookie sheet for lack of anything better, with a dish of water tucked beside in the hopes it would actually give me proper steam.

For the first loaf, I followed the instructions in the archived thread pretty closely and baked it at 450°F for around 20 minutes, then took it off the sheet and left it on the oven rack at 375°F for another 20 minutes.

The second loaf I left at 450°F the entire time, baked for maybe 30 minutes on the sheet, took it out to check it, then threw it back in for another 20-30 minutes on the oven rack itself.

I probably shouldn't have changed every variable I could if I was going to properly experiment, but I really wanted a swelling loaf to show off at the end of the day. :shobon:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I have a cast iron pan I received for the holidays that is begging to be used. It wouldn't be much different from the metal sheet given it's flat and open (i.e. not a covered pot), but would it make much of a difference if I threw the dough on the preheated iron to bake?

Also, at 60%+ hydration, doesn't the dough come out extremely runny and difficult as hell to work with, or am I doing something wrong/not being patient enough? That issue is why I decided to just toss flour at the kneaded loaf until it was workable. It had started as a 3:2 flour:water ratio but I know it probably turned out to be closer to 5:2 once I was done with it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Fair enough. I'll probably stick to regular kneaded bread for now while I try to find a method/ratio that works for me, and I'll give the no-knead a try again later down the line.

Thanks for the pointers and suggestions!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I lack a dutch oven at the moment, but I do have a nice cast iron skillet and some oven-safe glass bowls that fit well enough in the skillet when turned upside-down. I've taken to heating the skillet in the oven, throwing some parchment paper on it, then the dough, then covering the dough with the glass bowl to make a makeshift dutch oven. I keep it that way for ten minutes, then remove the bowl for the last 15-25 minutes.

This is all done assuming the dutch oven is meant to help keep moisture in for steaming. Is the skillet+glass bowl a good replacement for this? Should I still try to get steam in the oven using water in a pan or something?

I have an electric oven and rent my place so I'd prefer not to risk screwing up the coils by spritzing water into oven for steam, or something similar.