Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I got flour, water, yeast, salt around November as a gift. Made the Saturday white over Christmas and it came out beautifully, basically just like the cover art. Today I just took out of the oven two loaves of the overnight white. Mmm, can't wait to dig in.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Just took the lid off the pot of my first ever batch made with a poolish. Looked lovely, already all golden and fissured.

E: Stringent, it's a dry yeast just that you allow it to mature overnight before shaping and baking.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Gonna make some bread tomorrow. Gonna try the white biga from Ken Forkish. Haven't done that one yet.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My understanding is that the banneton does a number of things. It's structure which helps provide consistency from one loaf to the next. The formed round shape means the bread cooks consistently. Also it wicks moisture away from the surface helping form the delicious crust.

I'm not saying you won't get good results with out it but I think the consistency will be lower without mechanical aid.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

Gonna make some bread tomorrow. Gonna try the white biga from Ken Forkish. Haven't done that one yet.

FWIW, delicious. The crust is way lighter than the poolish or Saturday white but still with excellent flavor and chew. Nice and dense, not too many big holes in the crumb. Easy peasy too, made the 80% biga at 4pm, mixed at 7am, came out of the oven around noon. Next I'll start thinking about levains.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jan posted:

New York Times No Knead Bread

In weight units:
430 grams flour
1 gram yeast
8 grams salt
345 grams water

How the poo poo am I supposed to "shape dough into a ball"? Look at this liquid unruly mass of lovely goop:

Based on large hands's posts, I figured this recipe might give better results than Kenji's, but this is loving worse. Should I adjust hydration?

e: gently caress this poo poo, the more I worked with this crap, the more I wanted to chuck it out the window, so I tossed it. :argh:

e2: vvvvvvv

It's just too liquid for that. I could fold it, but then it'd slouch right back.

That recipe is Mark Bittman's (Lahey's yeah), which Kenji uses as the basis for his. So, not surprising they came out the same.

I've made that recipe, it's not that bad.

Here is what Kenji says about it:

quote:

Since no-knead doughs require a large amount of hydration ... they can be a little challenging for first time bakers to work with. They stretch easily, practically pouring out of their rising vessel.

My advice is to use plenty of flour, and practice, practice, practice!

Like, lot's and lots of flour. Like, really look at the picture in Kenji's article he's got at least 1/2 a cup going there, maybe more. Also the shaping motion is more or less just using the sides of your hands to pull the dough towards your body and then turning it and pulling it towards you again.

Also, Kenji cools it in the refrigerator for 3 days to stiffen it up.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If you just want to make god damned incredible bread then, Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast is a good place to start. You will need a cast iron Dutch oven but all the other crap he uses you can improvise something else for.

Don't have a banneton? Use a bowl and a tea towel. Don't have a 6 quart mixing tub? Use a big bowl.

Otherwise you just need flour water salt and yeast and an oven to make beautiful brown crusty loves you would pay $20 for at an artisanal bakery.

Oh yeah, delicious too. Makes that bread you get at nice restaurant when you sit down seem like mealy flavorless crap.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

if you want to get really good at making (repeatable!) crusty boules, it's the book for you. otherwise, i'd look elsewhere.
Sure, it's a bit of a one trick wonder but it's a REALLY good trick.

How many home bakers have dumped their first cracklin brown boule out on the counter and thought, "Wow, I can't believe I made that?" Followed by knife, butter and then a little moment of bliss.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Any pita recipe recommendations? Ive been doing a basic 65% hydration deal and it's easy and good.

I just made the Serious Eats pita recipe with the Serious Eats hummus.

Absolutely Delicious.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/perfect-pita-bread-recipe.html

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

iospace posted:

So what's better, a ceramic baker or a cast iron dutch oven?

You can make beautiful bread in a cast iron dutch oven. Personally, I think cast iron dutch ovens are pretty great in general. Super versatile, fry stuff in it, slow cook, bake, fill it with popcorn kernels and oil and throw it on your fire in your fireplace.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s called a sandwich.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I dunno. Someone saying that they want to make Lembas from scratch but are too lazy to buy a loaf of bread and a bag of lunch meat and put them together is probably not serious.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
A pound of sliced cheap boiled ham is like $5. A loaf of bread is $2.

gently caress, buy a can of ham for like 50 cents a pound if you are that broke.

Mustard is cheap as poo poo also.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, when are the right points in the bread making process that you can “pause the action” with refrigeration?

Anytime? Only between shaping and proofing?

E: internet says after mixing and before fully risen. Although there seemed to be people saying it’s still saveable at any time as long as you are willing to work it down and wait for it to rise again.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 24, 2017

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My banneton is pretty tight, the dough would have to be seriously gloopy to squeeze through a gap.

Also, if I am doing more than one loaf I just stick a liner in a plastic bowl about the right size

Works fine.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I use the Victorinox Fibrox 10.25”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...Srch&th=1&psc=1

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Looks almost like cake.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I salute you, nerdy bread man!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I know just enough to identify that the rough dome shape of large bubbles in the crumb of the right hand loaf indicates some kind of process flaw. I think.

Can anyone help clue me in as to what causes that?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Stringent posted:

I've very nearly got my adaptation of King Arthur's Russian black bread recipe to sourdough dialed in. Didn't get this one mixed as as uniformly as I should have, but the flavor and texture were quite good.

All right, now I know what I am doing next weekend.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I spritzed the banneton once to get the initial coat of flour to stick and never since then.

I think FWSY just says to leave it alone and not clean it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I have a big pizza steel and was thinking of baking bread using it on my grill. Instead of making boules in a dutch oven, doing a long wide batard on the steel on a covered grill.

The grill can get A LOT hotter than my oven, 7-800 degrees if I use hardwood.

Is this idea dumb? Would I need to spritz in some extra water to generate steam?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I just use a large mixing bowl that came with a lid. I just eyeball the rise although I suppose I could get motivated and mark some levels on the inside with a sharpie.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
We just lost half a homemade apple pie that we had forgotten was in the oven (no room in the fridge).

It was a very sad occasion.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hell Yeah posted:

are you using a lot of flour when you shape?

Probably this, but also how long from shaping to going into the oven? If the dough is still pretty moist any flour 'up in the butt' should just incorporate given a bit of time, maybe give your boules another 30-45 minutes before baking?

With the Forkish method the bottom of the boule become the top anyway, so that natural seam just becomes an attractive organic split in the crust.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
What stage should I put a FWSY overnight white loaf in the fridge if I want to hold off baking it for a day?

When would I have to take it out before baking?

E: I found the side bar about extending the proof 10 hours in the fridge, can I just leave it another 16ish?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 23, 2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
FWSY overnight 50% wheat

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 11, 2019

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Needs more bacon.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for easy dinner rolls?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/rapid-rolls-from-kitchen-confidence.html

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I saw a previous post say to put a sheet pan on the rack below the one your Dutch oven is on. Block the direct heat from the element.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

The victorinox one is quite good and cheap

Seconding this.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Ordered two pullman loaf pans with lids. Amazon says they won't arrive until April 23rd.

I'm kind of upset by this. Here I am stuck in my house jonesing for some sandwich bread and now I am going to have wait a WHOLE MONTH eating inferior home made baked goods or risking my life to go to the grocery store.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I have yeast but probably not enough for several months of baking to I want to make a levain.

Is there a well documented method of growing and maintaining a starter culture that is more efficient that the one described in FWSY? I just read that and you go through 2.5 kilos of flour just to get the levain ready to use and another 3.5 kilos a week to keep it alive.

I might make a couple of loaves a week so that seems like a bit much wastage.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for all the good advice!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The only sandwich my kids eat is peanut butter sandwiches.

Except now they have decided they will eat pita with stuff in it.

Gonna make a mess o pita bread tomorrow.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

Gonna make a mess o pita bread tomorrow.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
That one was a Cooks Illustrated recipe but I’ve made the serious eats one before and is really good also.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/perfect-pita-bread-recipe.html

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Stealing the poo poo out of this.

You'll love 'em, they are so good.

You really need a pizza stone or baking steel though for them to come out really good. Though you could probably get away with a cast iron pan and do them one at a time.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Yes, the bottom rack is practically at the bottom of the oven.

Different ovens heat differently. Some electric ovens don't even have a bottom element and others use their top and bottom ovens in different proportions. Gas ovens don't typically have heat from the top.

I personally found that to avoid scorching the bottom of my bread inside the dutch oven I need it placed on the middle rack with a baking steel between the dutch oven and the bottom of the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PolishPandaBear posted:

I'm on week 4 of not being able to find flour in any stores near me.

I went into a local Grocery Store near me because we just weren't getting what we wanted through the home delivery services. I figured I could make some decisions to get things that would work even if we couldn't think of it looking at an online shopping cart.

The flour section was empty of everything except 'white whole wheat' flour.

Oddly enough, the bread aisle was reasonably well stocked. Bagels, muffins, multiple varieties of bread from multiple vendors and etc...

Overall, other than a few exceptions, there was plenty of stock on the shelves. Note that I went to a more remote and less popular grocery store.