Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask as it's not strictly bread, but it's still baking.
I tried making some Cinnamon rolls this weekend, they came out okay, but the edges turned hard and crusty. Is there anything I should be adding to the recipe to keep the edges soft?

This is the recipe I followed: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4727/clone-of-a-cinnabon.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

If your oven has a fan, use it just to even out the temperature after you first put them in, like 30 seconds, and then switch it off. Your fan is drying the poo poo out of your rolls.

Ah that's probably it, I have a super powerful fan in my oven. I'll also give it a go at a lower temperature like Cimber said. Thanks guys.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I posted a little while ago about not being able to get a soft enough edge on cinnamon rolls. It was suggested I turn the fan off in my oven and cook for longer at a lower heat. I tried that and while it was slightly better it still wasn't as soft as I wanted.

Today I made pretzels, and the edge on them came out precisely how I wanted it on my cinnamon rolls, the only thing that differed majorly in the dough recipe was I dipped the pretzel dough in a solution of baking soda and water before baking. Just hoping someone could explain to me the science behind why this gives a softer edge? Is it just the moisture from the water or is it something to do with the baking soda?