Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I am literally making the bread again right now. I added all the ingredients into the bowl and mixed it on 2 for 10 minutes, then let it rest for 15 minutes, then turned it back on at 2 for 10 minutes now.

This is what it looks like after all this time. What’s wrong with my dough/machine? Other than the bit on the hook, the majority of it is still stuck onto the bottom of the bowl.

I had this problem when I first started using my KitchenAid for somewhat high hydration sourdough bread. The Kitchenaid is not great at picking/scraping dough from the bottom if you have small amounts and/or there's little gluten development yet (more gluten help pull the dough away from the sides/bottom). The solution for me was to always start with an autolyse: mixing the flour and whatever your fluid is together (just by stirring vigorously) and then letting it sit for about an hour.

Edit: oh I also mix it in in the KitchenAid two stages: first like 1-2 minutes on 1, then 1-2 minutes on 2. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then again. This is like a mini-autolyse and really helps the dough pull together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Keetron posted:

European here, from the Netherlands and that is almost the same.
Milk is skimmed milk from the fridge. Vanilla sugar is basically sugar with vanilla extract, any type of vanilla goes just do not too much. Eggs are unwashed and not refrigerated over here. Only idiots put their eggs in the cooler, what the hell.
There is no powdered sugar during baking in the recipe, only after. Other than this, it is a pretty accurate translation and if you want to try it without pearl sugar, that would be fine as well. It is not like the Gendarmes will come and arrest you, Belgium is not a police state last time I looked. Do not get in a traffic accident in Belgium tho, you are going to have a hard time.

Belgium is very similar to the Netherlands (and vice versa not starting a war here) but Belgian supermarkets actually mostly stock UHT milk as the original poster pointed out.

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 6, 2021

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I start at 1 and wait for it to attach itself to the hook (e.g. it comes together) then I do level 2 for a short while and then let it rest and repeat. I also do at least an hour autolyse beforehand because with high hydration it otherwise never gets 'picked up'. If it doesn't get picked up I don't worry about it and continue with the rest of my process (stretch and folding every 30 minutes for 3 hours).

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

therattle posted:

KA is very specific that bread should only be kneaded on 2. It’s geared for that to reduce wear on the gears and motor.

Mine just says do not exceed 2 (implying 1 is fine too).

See here (bottom of page): https://www.handleidi.ng/kitchenaid/artisan-mixer/handleiding?p=14

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

bolind posted:

If I want my sourdough bread to be more sour, where do I tweak?

Making my starter contain more rye flour helped a lot for me. I used to have 100% rye but switched to 50% rye flour 50% normal flour as the dough was easier to handle with less rye. You'll probably get a stronger rise too!