Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tc1992
Feb 21, 2011
I made some Guiness and mixed nut (hazelnut,walnut, etc), (wholemeal) bread for the first time. I Haven't made bread for years.

I have 3 questions

1) I mixed about half the nuts into the dough and then at the end put the rest on top. The ones on top unsurprisingly got very burnt. I buy nice breads from the supermarket and they often have seeds (e.g pumpkin seeds), etc all on the outside, but not burnt. How do they do this, by putting the seeds, etc on say half way through the cooking time or something like this?

2) The Guiness (beer if you don't know) did not come through too much on the flavour. You definitely could not identify it in there, it probably added a more subtle flavour. Is it possible to make beer bread that really has the taste of the beer?

3) If i divide the dough into 4 should i reduce the cooking time (which was 30 mins)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tc1992
Feb 21, 2011

Fluo posted:

I tend to use a bottle of ale as it tends to have more flavour then guinness, (I don't know what it is with guinness but for me atleast, it never holds flavour when added with stuff like if you were doing a beer batter etc) but nothing too expensive so I generally use a Black Sheep Ale, or Spitfire or London Pride (or whatever type of ales you can get in your country). Something easy to get but has lots of flavour and just use it instead of water. Works everytime!

OK ,will give it a go. You must also be in UK from that list of beers, going to the shops now so will pick something up, reckon a white beer could also be nice. Yeah, really couldn't understand how there was no taste of Guinness at all

tc1992
Feb 21, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

If you want a stout that is a) more flavorful than guinness and b) not going to break the bank, try Northcoast Old No 38. Lots of flavor there, it should come through in the final bread.

Not sure we have that here (UK), but i will look out for a strong stout, plenty of choice here. Yes, teh bread was most definitely not cheap.