Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

contrapants posted:

It's actually used kosai03's recipe again with a few modifications.

• 1 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 tbsp active yeast
  • 3 tbsp white sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • about 3 to 4 cups flour

Mix the water, yeast, and sugar and let sit for about 10 minutes. My yeast came right from the fridge, so if it's already room temperature you might not have to wait as long for it to foam up a little.

Then, mix in the salt, olive oil, and about 2 cups of the flour. Stir it around for a bit until it becomes the consistency of runny mashed potatoes.

Dump in another cup of flour and start kneading with your hands. After a minute, if it's still trying to glue itself to your hands, add a little more flour. Do this until the dough is only slightly tacky. If you touch the dough, you should feel it stick slightly, but it shouldn't try to hold on to you when you lift your hand back up. So far, this seems to be the best way for me to tell if I have enough flour without going overboard.

Here's where I messed up: I realized that I never actually added the sugar yet. I added the sugar, one tablespoon at a time. The dough actually became wet and sticky again even though I didn't add any water. A tiny bit more flour and more kneading fixed this.

It was 4 minutes of kneading before I remembered sugar. Then, another 10 minutes of kneading.

Next, roll the dough in your hands by tucking the outside into itself to make the outside as taught as you can. Pour a little bit of olive oil on top, and roll the dough around the bowl to coat it. Then, cover the dough with a damp towel until it rises to twice its size (2 hours).

Lube a loaf pan with olive oil, punch the dough down, and add it to the pan. Slash a 1/2 inch deep groove lengthwise and immediately put it into a 400*F oven for 30 minutes. I didn't attempt to add humidity at all.

The texture and taste are great. It's slightly sweet, which I kind of like.

Thank you! :)

I used your recipe but used 1 cup of whole wheat and it came out amazing. Thanks for posting! It was still a little sweet and white for my tastes so I'm going to cut a tablespoon of sugar and add more whole wheat next time but this is for sure going to be a staple at my house for pb&j bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I made a batch of bagels. The recipe was from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. They came out really well and were pretty easy, though kneading the dough made my stand mixer start smoking because the dough was so dense and there was a lot of it.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Was it a KitchenAid? BBA calls for "medium speed" in a lot of the recipes but you're never supposed to go above 2 on KitchenAid models if you're using a dough hook.

Ahh. Yes that must have been it. Thanks!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I made my own sourdough starter from scratch but it never really got sour. It made lovely bread but didn't have the twang I wanted. I ordered a starter and it is SOUR and awesome. Worth the $6.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Does anyone have any good flatbread recipes that I can cook on a stovetop? My oven is busted right now.