Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If I try to use a sheet pan in lieu of a baking stone as described in The Bread Baker's Apprentice (and another for steaming), how heavy duty of a pan should I be looking at? I imagine for steaming I won't really care if it warps as long as it doesn't spill water and in the worst case I can get a cheap cast iron pan for that. I'd like to try out a little bit of baking before I put money down on a stone of any sort even if it's a quarry stone from a hardware store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm planning on making some buns based on a recipe on the GWS wikis ( http://goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao) ) and was wondering about other options on the dough. One thing I will likely be doing is decrease the amount of sugar since it seems excessive and might be high enough to hinder gluten development. Due to the ridiculous amount of letting the filling sit, I was considering doing about half of the dough (without the eggs and such most likely) as a preferment. Are there any suggestions on this other than most likely reducing the sugar (it comes out pretty sweet as is)?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

therattle posted:

I'm pretty sure it's on the first post of this thread.

It doesn't matter if the link is there if it's archived. Without the archives upgrade you wouldn't have access to it.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tried the cinnamon roll recipe from BBA on Friday. I made the mistake of trying to cream the butter and sugar by hand :suicide:. Overall it turned out fine, though I had to let the dough rest a bit to roll it out enough. I'm not entirely sure about his thickness specification of 2/3 of an inch since that seemed a bit too thick after rising. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, but they were nice and fluffy.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 24, 2014

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Doctor posted:

It's a lot easier to cream butter and sugar by hand if you heat the butter slightly to soften it beforehand.

I think I didn't wait long enough for it to warm up sufficiently. Doing it in a metal bowl probably wasn't a good idea either since the butter just slid around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm considering making challah using the recipe in BBA. Any tips/suggestions on modifications (might just use whole egg for the wash)?