Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Least year in December I decided to learn how to bake bread. I made a few loaves and realized it was pretty easy, so I decided I wanted to learn how to make sourdough. I made a started and it turned out that was pretty easy too. Fast forward to now and I've been more or less making a loaf a week of sourdough bread, plus a loaf of whole wheat sandwich bread for whenever I feel like sandwiches, which is not very often. I either knead by hand or in my food processor if I don't feel like kneading. I don't have kids and I never had pets as a child so keeping my sourdough starter alive is pretty much the closest I've come to taking care of anything living for a significant period of time. Although I suppose it's technically thousands of living things which I do a fairly bad job of keeping alive because I often kill them in an over. I'm yeast Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you get a smallish toaster oven, instead of making a big loaf of bread you can shape the dough into smaller rolls, freeze them, and bake a roll whenever you want some bread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't know if I was blessed by sourdough gods or whatever but my starter was basically:

1.5 cups white flour
1.5 cups water
1/8 tsp yeast (optional: I think if you don't use and yeast you might want to use some whole wheat flour since that has more organisms in it)

And I let it sit out for a while. From that point on I would feed it the night before making bread, otherwise I'd let it chill in the fridge. When I feed it I give it approximately 1 part whole wheat flour, 1 part white flour, 2 parts water, or something. I just eyeball it. I aim for a consistency of about pancake batter. Sometimes I feed it, let it bubble up, then feed it again when it has stopped bubbling up. Otherwise I just feed it, grab half for my bread, and stick the other half back in the fridge.

But of course YMMV. Everything I read online was like "you need to feed it this specific blend of flours and this amount of water measured carefully by weight and also feed it a potato and here is the feeding schedule you have to do it twice per day every day and you have to discard half the starter each time and if you don't do all of these you will be making illegal hooch and the FBI will shoot you."

Probably the easiest route is to ask all of your friends if they have any starter. That's easy mode because you can then just grab a cup of theirs and feed it to get a feel for how it works, and if you kill it, who cares? You can just get more from your friend.

Ideally someone who knows WTF they are doing, but who isn't as touchy as all those websites, can just post in here and replace my ignorance with knowledge.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 20, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sorry, I guess enzymes aren't technically organisms. They're... whatever enzymes are. I'm an American who only ever made it past high school biology, it's a miracle I even learned about evolution.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Enter Char posted:

I made bread for the first time tonight, just a basic wheat type recipe. The end result was a dense loaf, like cornbread but wheat, instead of a light fluffy thing. What's the reason for this? Bad yeast, or something else?
Did it rise at all?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Enter Char posted:

A bit, but the end result was still a pretty dense loaf.
I'm no bread expert but if it rose a bit then your yeast was probably doing something; maybe you either needed to let it rise longer or knead it more so that it forms enough gluten chains to trap the gas released by the yeast.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If it tastes pretty good you probably didn't forget the salt. I enjoy bland foods but bread without salt is... lackluster.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Forever in the freezer I think.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you have a food processor it might have come with a little plastic "blade" thingy. That's for kneading dough - it's what I use when I'm lazy or in a hurry. Not as nice as a stand mixer but it gets the job done.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Monkahchi posted:

Today is an exciting baking day. I started my own sour-dough culture last July, and I've been feeding and developing it ever since. Have baked with it a few times, but over the last few months baking fell away with other commitments. So I aged and matured some of the yeast in the culture (Larger volume, longer development, smaller feeds, allowing for increased fermentation near the top, and maturity in the lower part of the jar, perhaps I should post on developing/maturing a starter and other sour dough trivia in a separate thread? I can't seem to find a SourDough thread.)
This would be super awesome. I have managed to keep my sourdough starter alive for like, a year or something, but I really have no idea what I am doing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Longer rise and better oven. Or at least better oven. It's undercooked.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You will never in your entire life find a better bread for French Toast than challah which is much easier to make than it might appear to be at first.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Happy Hat posted:

Burger buns - any good recipes?
I've made these whole wheat buns and they are good but if you are not vegan and/or want white instead of whole wheat, I have heard good things about King Arthur's recipe.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

melon cat posted:

Any suggestions for a banana bread recipe? The last found online came out really dry, for some reason.
Wrong thread - you want the Quick Breads Thread which has 2 banana bread recipes on page 2 and 2 more on page 3.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think flour, water, salt, and yeast is probably the best starting point before you get into anything fancier.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That looks good! Finland's southwestern archipelago region has good taste in bread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Try letting it rise even more and/or making the dough wetter. 15 extra minutes rising time is like 0 extra minutes in bread time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can use pretty much anything - the main reason to use something heavy duty like a stone is to get a good crust on the bottom of the great instead of something kind of anemic.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doh004 posted:

It doesn't taste bad - I just wanted to use that clip.

It's heavy and tastes too... floury?
Let it rise more and you should get a less floury taste and a more yeasty taste. That will also cut down on the heaviness some. And yeah, try more water.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
With a normal crusty loaf of sourdough I put the cut side down on something (like plastic) and just leave it there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bob Morales posted:

Those look great. Is there a homemade falafel thread?
I made falafel for my ICSA 57 entry which counts I guess. Falafel is pretty easy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If it was dense and didn't rise very much, give it more time to rise.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If the crust is disappointing, adding some steam when you put the bread into the oven or turning up the temperature can help. Options for adding steam include a cast iron skillet that you don't care about filled with rocks (also that you don't care about) near the bottom of the oven, onto which you pour water right before you put the bread in, some kind of baking dish with ice cubes in it, water you just pour straight in there if it won't gently caress your oven up, and probably other methods.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Challah is egg bread so I would think you're basically hosed, but apparently some people have worked out solutions:

http://www.thechallahblog.com/2011/04/eggless-challah.html
http://www.creativejewishmom.com/2011/05/the-cjm-guide-to-baking-delicious-challah.html
http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/special-occasions-and-entertaining/jewish-new-year/egg-free-challah/

Since going vegan I haven't made challah but I guess maybe now is the time to try.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That definitely looks like a book from the 70s.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

geetee posted:

This picture rings a bell, but something's missing...
What am I, chopped liver?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I make these pita. If they don't puff up it's because I rolled them too thick or too thin.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

On a similar note, are there any decent yeast free recipes? I'm just learning and want to keep in practice but I have to stay away from yeast for a while.
We had a quickbread thread at one point if you have archive access. In a thread named "Rise to me" you're not really going to find anything without yeast...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Spikes32 posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for making sourdough starter where the tap water contains so many chloro amines that the starter bacteria just can't survive? I've tried making starter SEVERAL times and never had much success, the one time I did was with RO DI water, but eventually I got lazy and tried tap and the starter died within two days. I'd rather not be forced to buy bottled water just for my starter if I don't have to. I live in San Diego if that might make a difference.
I live in San Diego and I got a sourdough starter going with tap water.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Drops of water shouldn't crack a stone - they won't change the temperature anywhere near enough.

(I think...)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can make bread with normal flour.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Pretzels get brown from lye so I don't see why other alkaline things would fail to work on other baked goods.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can't taste the lemon because that lemon still has all its zest on it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
For learning how to make bread, all you need is all purpose flour, whole wheat flour if you want to make whole wheat bread, water, salt, and yeast. Later on you can worry about fancier stuff like sourdough. I've never made sandwich loaves in anything other than metal but I can't imagine nonstick or glass would be a problem. In terms of other equipment you can bake normal non-sandwich bread on anything that can go in the oven. Also if you have a dutch oven you can make no-knead bread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I actually haven't made sandwich bread in like a million years but I think I just do this when I do.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You're going to have to tell us what you're doing before we can tell you what you're doing wrong.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

KuroMayuri posted:

I'm not quite following this part. "Proof" normally refers to the final rise, and I think that's what's confusing me.
"Proof" also refers to blooming the yeast in water to "prove" the yeast is alive.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

My starter's surface after not feeding it for a long weekend
What the gently caress? Is this picture taken with an electron microscope or something? What am I even looking at?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Welp, I'm officially back on a diet. I still want to get some use out of my stand mixer, since I spent so much money on it, so I'm looking for recipes that aren't too high in calories. Any ideas?
Cook bread as normal, slice in half. Bam, 50% as many calories as before!

Really though, pretty much anything you put into bread is going to have more calories than flour, so just keep making bread.