Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

Choadmaster posted:

This recipe I found merely said "yeast," so I don't know what type it would have meant. It seems to be a lot more yeast than in your recipe, but the starter also isn't supposed to rest as long so it would make sense. Still, is there a standard type of yeast used in Germany or was the recipe I found just unfortunately vague?

With all yeast, instructions on the packet/container tend to tell you how much to use in bread. It varies from culture to culture. I reccomend using the powdered quick stuff, the kind you have to soak is a pain, and kinda unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!
Today is an exciting baking day. I started my own sour-dough culture last July, and I've been feeding and developing it ever since. Have baked with it a few times, but over the last few months baking fell away with other commitments. So I aged and matured some of the yeast in the culture (Larger volume, longer development, smaller feeds, allowing for increased fermentation near the top, and maturity in the lower part of the jar, perhaps I should post on developing/maturing a starter and other sour dough trivia in a separate thread? I can't seem to find a SourDough thread.)

I've spent today on and off working on an all-day White Sour-Dough loaf to go with some Foix Gras that was gifted to us over Christmas. Overnight Sponge, kneaded dough mid-morning, 4 1hr risings, and now the loaf is shaped and doing its final 2hr prove before baking! I cannot wait to see how this turns out, a loaf normally only takes me a few hours.

The expected result is a light, fluffy loaf, full of huge holes, lots of air, with a real zing of flavor, here's fingers crossed it turns out ok!

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

me your dad posted:

I made my first sandwich loaf using this recipe. It worked, but it turned out really dense - my loaf from an 8.25" pan weighs 2.5 lbs! Where did I do wrong?

If your bread is over heavy, I would guess that almost certainly you either:

a) Under-baked.
or
b) Under-proved.

Under-baking needn't mean not long enough, it may mean the initial temperature was not high enough, it needs to be about 250c+ initially to get a good spring. Also, are you using a tray of boiling water in the base of the oven to generate steam? this really helps.

That said, looking at the recipe I would guess its under-proving, the Honey will make the dough slow to do anything, I'd recommend proving for at LEAST 2 hours, but I'd probably head towards 3 or 4. Proving is what allows your dough to be airy, get good air bubbles and a consistent crumb.

Try again with a longer proving and the tips around baking (But for no longer as this bread recipe will go bad if over baked!) If you still have this problem, feel free to hit me up for my own standard white loaf recipe.

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

Happy Hat posted:

Well - you can sift flour for really fine bread - but it is not really something that I think is worth doing

It's actually been found in some recipes to hamper air pocket development. But generally, you're spot on it's just a waste of time. As you've written about earlier in the thread, bread's about gluten and its stretch, not how evenly distributed the flower is initially.

This kind of thing is far more important in a sponge cake, where you want light, fluffy, consistent sponge. (but then you never to knead a sponge cake)

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

nwin posted:

Sourdough questions...

I love the Rosemary Olive Oil bread that Whole Foods sells. I don't like paying 4 bucks a loaf for it.

I sent out for the Oregon Trail starter found here and received it the other day. Going through the brochure, I currently have it sitting in the oven "for up to 48 hours" covered with a damp towel. Unfortunately, my oven doesn't have a light on it, and it's about 70 in the house, so I'm guessing that will have to do.

1) How long do I let it sit there before going to step 3, which is mixing in water/flour/and some potato water? All the instructions say are up to 48 hours...

2) wtf is potato water? Should I just buy a potato, cut it up, boil it in water, and use the leftover water?

3) After I've done this and it's refrigerated, I should be good to go...just before I plan on using it add some more flour and water and let it sit over night so I don't use all my starter up, right?

Finally, anyone have a good rosemary olive oil soudough recipe?

1) As long as you can manage, no longer than 48 hours. You'll enjoy better results if you take it out 3 or 4 times over the period, deflate the dough by pressing it flat/poking into it with you fingers, until its flat, re-forming it into a tight round, and replacing it.

2) It's exactly what you think it is. Though check your quantities, I can't imagine you'd want much, I've never used potato water in sour dough, but I imagine it's for increased starch.

3) You should only use about one ladle full of starter if its active for the whole recipe. You should add starter and flour/water in the requisite quantities, with 1 ladle of starter, the night before you intend to bake. Any longer and the tangy/sour taste will be overpowering.

Hope this helps!

by.a.teammate posted:

Help!

I made some white bread at it turned out great so I thought I'd make some dough in the evening and then cook it in the morning. Problem is now its far too yeasty! It`s like it`s being cooked in vodka, it`s not really edible sadly. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening and still have dough ready in the morning to bake?

Thanks!

There are couple of options, as has already been suggested, prove the dough in the fridge overnight, then do the final shape/prove on the baking morning. This will retard the development of the yeast in the dough and dramatically slow its production, you'll only need a final prove the next day. DO ensure that you knead thoroughly though, and wrap in cling film tightly. The cooling from the refrigerator can add moisture, which is good, but will make the dough difficult to work with the next day, more importantly, when you remove it from the fridge, don't over compensate for the wet dough with flour, or you'll end up with an inch thick indestructible crust.

Alternatively, what you can do, is use less yeast, it'll take some experimentation, but effectively what is happening is you introduce a yeast culture to the dough, which releases oxygen and other gasses as it feeds, which is how you get air in your bread. You're leaving it overnight, and the yeast is a living organism feeding on your dough. Its feeding too much, and the yeast culture is multiplying constantly, so by the morning, you have too much yeast. The solution? Introduce less yeast in the dough, and leave overnight. I'd suggest half for the night before for a mid-morning bake, or a third for up to 24 hours before, but it varies greatly based on the kind of yeast you're using. See the OP for more help around yeast types.

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

therattle posted:

Good luck shaping that!

Surely it'd be no worse than the kind of bread automatic bread-makers spit out? Has anyone had a bread maker that actually did a good job at turning out bread of varying sorts? Most I've come across are pretty poor.

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

Molten Llama posted:

You can still do a preferment and dump it into the bread machine with the remaining ingredients. I've done that when I want more flavor but have a hankering for a lazy loaf of bread with a butt hole. Or two butt holes if you're using a larger machine.

I think this comes down to what someone else was saying above, that at a certain point you tip over the amount of effort involved, to a point where you feel as if you may as well make the bread by hand. Sounds like that's your take too. I just don't enjoy bread-maker bread, but I'll keep trying, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

Unkempt posted:

Well let's see:

I tried the 'stubby cylinder' again, but also tried to sort of pull stuff over the top. Not sure I got it right.

Despite the split, I'm pretty happy with that. Tastes good, too. Yeah, I think that helped a bit.

I have that book too, the recipes tend to be on the thinner side, and tend to spread quite a bit, to really get the best loaves, prove in a high sided dish/bowl (a square washing up bowl works well for the stubby cylinder) lined with a tea towel, and you'll get a better, less spread out prove.

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

Troll posted:

Thanks! I'm still not quite done with the in-app creating / editing of recipes but everything else is going smoothly now. Just need to prevent users from creating dependency cycles in their recipes.

Anyone have experience incorporating oats in bread? I want to make a really dense seed + oat loaf for morning toast. Would you par-boil them first? I'd assume something like that is necessary to incorporate steel-cuts, but maybe not rolled.

Rolled oats will be fine as they'll toast in the bake. Steel cut will be like razor blades if you don't soak them first. Soak overnight, leave to drain for 15 minutes, then add them as required for the recipe. The extra moisture should actually help the bake along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

Shbobdb posted:

Hardcore bakers will disagree with me, but I just mix my sourdough starter in with the dough. After an overnight fermentation, I reserve a small portion for next time and then make some bread. Repeat ad infinitum.

I don't think you're going to get much disagreement, in fact this technique is used in a lot of styles of Artisan baking.