Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
For a contrasting opinion, I make yeasted breads three or four times a week, and I get by just fine without a stand mixer. Sure they're nice, but i'm just a student and I enjoy the working-with-my-hands aspect of kneading the dough myself. Plus, counter space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Oh goodness, that's beautiful. :swoon:

Gonna go buy some rye flour now and see if I can make one of those soon.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

therattle posted:

Extracting gluten like that from bread dough is basically how you make tempeh.

It is how you make seitan; tempeh involves fermenting soybeans and growing a mycelium to fill the gaps in the 'brick'. Neither is terribly difficult, but seitan is wheat and tempeh is soy.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Troll posted:

Thanks! I'm still not quite done with the in-app creating / editing of recipes but everything else is going smoothly now. Just need to prevent users from creating dependency cycles in their recipes.

Anyone have experience incorporating oats in bread? I want to make a really dense seed + oat loaf for morning toast. Would you par-boil them first? I'd assume something like that is necessary to incorporate steel-cuts, but maybe not rolled.

If using steel-cut oats, I'd soak them in water overnight, but I've used rolled/quick oats in breads tons of times and never had trouble just adding them in with other dry ingredients.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

rxcowboy posted:

I know this thread is about baking bread at home, but I work at an industrial bakery as a mixer. If anyone wants to know a little about how baking on a large scale works or what exactly is in a loaf of rye bread you buy at a store, I'll be more than happy to talk about it.

Some of the bread in this thread looks so delicious that I'm going to try making a loaf at home this weekend. Even though making bread for 12 hours a day means I generally don't want to even look at it when I get home.

I'm always jealous of bakery sourdough. I've got my own starter at home, but due to the way my life seems to work I never get it to live longer than three or four months, then I'm off to make a new one. No matter what tricks I try, it's never all that sour. It's still quite nice - it makes a killer whole wheat dough - but it isn't sour. I'd previously guessed I just didn't have nice yeast, but there's a bakery literally within a few blocks of me that has absolutely fantastic sourdough. What am I doing wrong / are they doing right that I'm not accounting for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Got a clean t-shirt or a pillowcase, maybe? I put my dough in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Other times I just put it in the oven without turning it on.

I'm puzzled by your choice to wet the paper towels, but maybe I'm completely misunderstanding what anyone covers their dough for anyway. I'm just realizing I'm doing this myself in a complete cargo cult fashion.

If it's quite dry where you are, the dough can develop a 'skin' on top that some people don't like.