Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Basic beginner question: I've started making my own English muffins (Joy of Cooking recipe), but instead of them coming out with the big pockets when you break it open with a fork, comes out more the texture and consistency of a regular biscuit.

Which step is likely to produce better results: more kneading? more time in the 2nd rise? more yeast in the first step?

Alternately, is it just that when you cook things at home they don't come out like the crazy mutant food that has been through a 40 years of focus testing?

E: They are very yummy, I'm more just curious about better understanding which steps affect which variables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Recipe please.

I make that same loaf, out of the Joy of Cooking:

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2038145--Joy-of-Cooking-s-Milk-Bread

It is absolutely wonderful.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

This is what happens when you show of bread to people. They become rats. :allears:

I made a loaf of bread for a family brunch a while back, and my sister told us she was pregnant then tore into the loaf exactly like that.

She wasn't even planning on telling us until after we ate, but she moved up the announcement just so she could eat handfuls of bread without anyone getting suspicious. The power of bread.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been working with Flour Water Salt Yeast for a few bakes, and the bread is really top-notch, but I'm struggling to find a recipe I can manage a good workflow on.

I know refrigerating dough is an option, but I can't find a spot in the book where he specifically talks about it. If I wanted to refrigerate dough for, let's say 8-12 hours, in which step is the easiest/safest to do it? How long can I stretch that (24 hours? days?) before the bread can't be properly baked.

A lot of his recipes talk about some very specific time frames (having 30-60 minute windows to "properly" start a bake) and I haven't felt comfortable venturing off his timelines yet.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Yeah, three days seem to be the limit, although our resident Happy Hat says five. I usually go ~1% yeast and cold rise for 1-3 days. Often I bake part of the dough the first day, part the next etc.

Thanks all for the replies. So in this case would I do the full fermentation out then stick it in the fridge for 1-3 days? Or is it OK to start off in the fridge right after the mix?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You might also try turning your proofed dough onto parchment paper then just tossing the whole thing into the Dutch oven. I've done that a few times with loaves I didn't feel comfortable picking back up and they seemed to turn out a little less brown (but just as yummy).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is it OK to mix raisins into dough just before shaping or does it have to be before the big ferment? Is handling the dough that much just before proofing going to flatten it?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

Tartine has mixing the other content after the first fold in a 3-4hr primary ferment.

/e- but yes, you won't want to handle the dough much post primary so you need to mix it in sometime there, before you get to the point where you have to worry about overdeflating the dough.

Thanks! Next loaf, then.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Making a poolish from FWSY but mixing in cheese and going to do it in pans like the pan au gruyere from Tartan.

But I'm a great big dummy and didn't bring my cheese to room temp before mixing it in, so about 10 seconds after mixing my poolish in I also mixed in the cheese and brought my entire dough down to like, 65 degrees.

I assume I just severely retarded the rise (rather than just ruining the loaf), which FWSY calls 2-3 hours under normal circumstances, but I'm not sure how much extra time I should plan for.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All the Tartine recipes use levain but I'm generally more comfortable using poolish so I just mixed the two.

I mixed poolish around 7 last night. Did final mix around 8 this morning then added cheese at first fold. Thanks for the microwave tip!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

Anyone got a good cornbread recipe? The one I've been using is from a book from the 60s and it's dry and bland.

Things that will make your cornbread better
Replace the milk with the same amount of canned creamed corn.
Do more like 1:1 cornmeal to white flour (lots of recipes call for 2:1).
In spite of being southern, I like brown sugar in mine.
Up the butter a TBs every batch until you hit where you like it.
Cast iron coated inside with fat of your choice, toss it in the oven while it preheats. Your batter should sizzle like a pancake when you pour it in. Shortening is good for this if you're doing sweet, but bacon fat is great if you're doing a savory or hot bread with chili peppers.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 28, 2016

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe invest in an oven thermometer? If things are burning up and the oven is old, it might be your temperatures are running a lot higher than what's marked.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
FWSY is very very good at teaching you to make one specific loaf of bread perfectly. If you like that loaf of bread (I do!) or pizza made from the same dough it's pretty much the best.

It has some variations (fast start, poolish, starter, and add-ins), but for the most part it's the same high-hydration/no knead/three-fold overnight cast iron boule front to back.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I discovered this weekend that my extremely basic, Joy of Cooking dinner roll dough makes better sandwich bread than any sandwich bread recipe I've ever used.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Aw hell, if you can get into it I bet the insides aren't so bad.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Just get a banneton.

Yeah, they cost $15 and are worth every penny.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Used cornmeal instead of flour in my banneton for normal Saturday FWSY and they turned out crazy pretty. This bread always gets people gushing over it at parties. I even explain how easy and cheap it is, people still just gawk like it's a magic trick.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

Can anyone advise whether I actually need a 12 quart cambro per Flour Water Salt Yeast? I don’t mind getting one if necessary or really useful but it seems excessively large. I already have a 12 quart square one I use for sous vide.

I make all my FSY bread in the top of a cake carrier.

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Storage/dp/B01MS4372V/ref=zg_bs_5264732011_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=HF8D38ERMWY3A9XEDA17

E: To actually answer your question, and because Google makes math easy: my 13x7 cake carrier lid is about 9 quarts. The FSY 1kg dough at full rise comes about 2–3 inches from the rim.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 18, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Remember to take lots of pictures.

Maybe have someone else take pictures.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Joy of Cooking has a recipe for stovetop cornbread (which is basically just a heavily leavened pancake anyway). Heat a greased pan on low, pour in your batter, cover, and cook on as low of heat your eye can manage. Then you literally just keep an eye on it.

I've never tried it and have no idea how long it would take, but I bet a box of jiffy wouldn't take longer than 20 minutes this way.

E: To this, Martha says once your top is firming up, "Invert onto the skillet cover; oil pan bottom again. Slide bread back into pan, and cook 5 minutes more, until dry and light brown." So maybe bottoms tend to burn before they crisp so you basically want to refry the bottom once you're mostly done? Worth a shot.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 15, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've never found shaping no-knead to be particularly tough, coming from only really doing the bread from FWSY, but I can't even begin to imagine doing it without a banneton. Maybe this weekend I'll mix up the dough and instead just toss it in a greased loaf pan and see what happens when you bake it outside a dutch oven.

Forkish says, take your dough after it's big proof (5–16 hours depending on how much yeast you used), flour your workspace, pull out your dough, then fold it in on itself in 3 or 4 folds, basically pulling your floured bottom up over the top so now you have a fully floured ball you can handle. (Think of this move like if you wanted to fold an envelope from a square piece of paper, corners in to middle.)

Flip it seam side down and do a couple of tucking pulls to tighten up your ball, so you get a nice smooth surface on top and some ugly seam stuff underneath. Then you drop it ugly seam side down into your banneton. Everyone has their opinions on what to put on the banneton to keep the dough from sticking. I LOVE using corn meal, it is easier cleanup in your basket, gives your crust some extra texture, and does the non-stick job better than anything else I've tried.

After final proof, turn the whole thing out onto a piece of parchment paper, lift your ball by the sides of the paper into your dutch oven and bake at 450. In my oven at least, you don't get a lot of options with height, as the dutch oven is tall enough, it really can only fit on the bottom 2-3 rack levels anyway.

The ugly seam stuff will do the same job as scoring (because you really can't score this dough, it's way too wet), which is where this loaf gets its distinctive look and why none of your recipes mention scoring it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want to bake smaller loaves, which means I need (or do I?) a dutch oven smaller than my 6 qt. A lot of places speak highly of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Emile-Henry-France-Potato-Burgundy/dp/B00WU4KW3O/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bread+potato+pot&qid=1550324849&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But $130, boy I don't know. Anyone use something similar?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've found cornmeal to be a better barrier between FWSY dough and my banneton, plus it gives the outside an interesting bit of texture after the bake

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Cornmeal is great. It's what dominos uses to dust the base of their pizzas with. Definitely giving this a go.

Realizing lots of pizza places did this is what inspired me to try it in the first place, actually.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That dough is definitely not supposed to be gloopy. With two folds it'll still be sticky in the mixing bowl and once you turn it out onto a floured surface and give it another inward fold, it should handle the same as a typical dough.

To reiterate, my process is

1. Autolyse 20-30 minutes
2. Pinch in salt/yeast
3. Two to three folds over the next 90 minutes, then let sit until total time is 4-6 hours, depending. If you are "gloopy" at this step, you are overhydrated, your dough will spread out in the container, but after each fold it should be able to hold onto itself a fair bit.
4. Gently roll out of your mixing bowl onto a floured countertop, gently fold back into a ball, much like your folds in the mixing bowl. Bring the (now floured) bottom up and over so you have a fully floured ball.
5. Shape it and dump it creases-down in a (floured/rice floured/corn mealed) banneton
6. Preheat dutch oven
7. Flip dough out of banneton onto a sheet of parchment paper, lift the whole thing into your dutch oven and bake

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Your local woodworker (me, currently) is telling you to go buy a cheap premade cutting board and screw two pieces of project pine to form the bench hook parts, Sand them down by hand for a few minutes then rub the whole thing down with mineral oil.

Will be about $5 past the cost of whatever cutting board you use as the base.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Question to the guy who recommended dropping loaves into the dutch oven with a piece of parchment paper - how do you place them in the dutch oven without the parchment paper wrinkling into the dough? My finished loaves have lots of creases from it and I couldn't slide the loaves into the dutch oven as they stuck just enough to the parchment to make it awkward. Edit: my wholemeal loaf turned out fine, I was a bit rough with it and sorta shook it hard off the parchment into the dutch oven. I figured I'd hosed it up cause it smacked down hard so I thought it'd deflate a lot, but it has risen beautifully in the oven and looks pretty good.

You also put the parchment paper into the dutch oven!

Like, you dump your loaf out of the banneton onto the paper, then you pick the whole thing up by the edges of the paper and lower it into the oven and pop the top on. Then you can lift it back out with the paper and it won't be stuck. In fact, I've found I can push the heat/cook time a little bit because I tend to get less bottom burning using paper.

You might get some incidental shaping around the edges of your loaf from the paper, ripples instead of being true round, but it doesn't affect cooking or taste in any way. Safer getting the loaves out, too.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And if you roll your fry bread too flat, you just reinvented roti/tortillas.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nah, pop it, dust it, and cook it. It'll eat.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I found flour to stick like crazy, but using cornmeal to dust the banneton has worked flawlessly. Plus it gives a little extra texture to your top.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It took me 3 tries to really nail the King Arthur sandwich recipe (dead yeast, then pan too big, then perfection), and now it's all anyone in the house wants for breakfast, except I'm running out of instant yeast.

Anyone ever made a pan sandwich loaf out of no-knead?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

snailshell posted:

I make bread pan loaves out of 90% of the doughs I make and overall, it works great. Specifically, Jim Lahey's no-knead recipe turns out :c00l:

This is great to hear and the next thing I'll try. Doing a no-knead overnight rise uses I think a scant quarter teaspoon and the King Arthur uses a full 2.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ah to hell with it. If 15 lb of flour and quarantine isn't my excuse to grow a starter, nothing ever will be.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I finally got my quarantine bread routine down.

FWSY overnight white (20% whole wheat), 79% hydration, in two greased loaf pans in the morning. 350 degrees on the bottom rack until 200 internal (about 45 minutes).

It's not beautiful but drat is it useful and crazy yeast efficient (1100 g of flour and a fat 1/4 tsp of yeast).

e: Also, Forkish calls for instant yeast, and I got halfway through a jar of active dry before I even noticed. Absolutely no difference in performance to my eye.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 30, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's FWSY?

Man, all my lifelong lessons and intuition about how slack and sticky bread dough should be have gone completely out the window with autolysed dough. This is gonna be a learning curve.

A very popular bread book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SGLZH6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I grab a great big pair of poultry shears, open as wide as they'll open, hover it over the loaf then SNAP it closed as quick as I can while also lifting up a bit.

SNAP!

It's the only thing I've found that will actually cut into FSWY dough in loaf pans. Everything else just drags the dough around without actually cutting it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My go-to for that kind of thing is drop biscuits in a greased mini-muffin tin. The crispy outside to soft inside ratio is more akin to hush puppies than any sort of biscuit or bread, making little three-bite things that every bite has crunchy biscuit outside attached to it. From deciding you want them to done takes about 20 minutes.

They are basically perfect.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

What would happen if you took a very basic no-knead country bread recipe and put it into a loaf pan instead of plopping it onto a cookie sheet? I had pretty good results with Chef John's country recipe, but it came out a little more fat and "rustic" than I'd like.

I've been doing this all quarantine, since loaf bread is more generally useful with two kids and the overnight no-knead rise uses practically no yeast (though that issue may have lessened depending on where you live).

I've found that, where dutch oven no-knead wants to cook at 450, you really can't go that hot in loaf pans because your top will scorch before the interior finishes. My go-to for two standard loaf pans has been 1100 g of flour, 78-80% hydration, overnight rise, then second rise in greased loaf pans. Then around 45 minutes at 350-375 degrees. Pop them out to cool on a rack and you should be good to go.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cheese eats mouse posted:

My scale was damaged in my move so I I guess this is a good time to upgrade. Is this the go-to or are there better ones?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3eS2EbNYQ89KY

I've had this one for years with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1157100-...e-garden&sr=1-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Any recommendations on cheap/large cutting boards to kneed dough on?

I used all different types and all different sizes and materials and settled on ... if you have halfway decent countertops, just clean them well and go to down right on the countertop. Nothing else will be as stable to work on or as easy to clean up afterward. I would really only resort to kneading on a board if the only other option was doing it on the floor or something. Even then I'd probably masking tape down wax paper instead.

e: unless you're doing pastry, which I'm not an expert on but I am pretty sure your pastry work wants to be on a chilled board, but those are usually stone.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 11, 2020