Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made my first Ciabatta

the lighting of my kitchen makes it look overly yellow but it was a really nice light colour with great texture and taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

50/50 White/Wholemeal bloomers I made today;

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

What was the hydration on the dough? Those look like the exact loaves I'd like to make, form-wise, but I suspect the dough I generally make is too wet and flattens out too much.

The recipe is here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636. Around 64% hydration. I simply subbed half of the strong white flour for strong wholemeal to make mine.

The baker has recently competed a tv series in the UK aimed at beginners which is where the recipe is from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNz2yJLT5RA 2:35 to 9:00 is the whole process, he also shows how to roll the shape.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Knock the air out, reshape it and leave it to rise a second time. Bake when its at the point you want.

It should be fine.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Lightly grease the bowl/surface with olive oil to prevent sticking while preserving hydration. The small amount won't effect the consistency or flavour.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

This seems to be a purely cosmetic problem, but I can't get pretty scoring on my bread. I'm making them about half an inch deep, but it expands so much in the oven they get pretty much erased.

On the 2nd it looks like the crust is developing too quickly and constricting the rise, making it burst out rather than spread. Try a combination of the following;

When you are proofing the dough cover it loosely with plastic wrap (prevents the surface from drying out),
Lightly spray the surface of the dough with water just before you put it in the oven (softens it),
Place a pan of water in the oven to create steam.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I've been out of bread action for a few weeks due to kitchen refurbishment. I ended that by making a TigerGiraffe bread and a standard white bloomer. Proved both overnight in the fridge for extra flavour.

The tiger bread is gorgeously soft, tasty and the crust is amazing; the bloomer is for tomorrow.

I'm probably going to tackle some viennoiserie next.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

Tiger bread

Bread:
500g strong white flour
10g salt
7g dried yeast
3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
310ml luke-warm water

Topping:
100g rice flour
1 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
150ml luke-warm water

Preheat the oven to 220c/425F and place a baking tray filled with water on the bottom shelf
Place the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the oil and 240ml/9fl oz of water.

Mix the ingredients together. Gradually add the remaining water (you may not need it all), until all the flour leaves the side of the bowl and you have a soft, rough dough.

Pour a little olive oil onto a clean work surface. Sit the dough on the oil and begin to knead; do this for 5-10 minutes. Once the correct consistency is achieved, place the dough into a clean, oiled bowl. Cover with plastic film and leave in a warm place until tripled in size (~2hrs), or in a fridge overnight.

Once risen, place the dough onto a surface and knock the dough back by folding it in on itself repeatedly and pressing with your fists. Do this until all the air is knocked out and the dough is smooth.

Shape into a bloomer. Place on a heavily-floured tray, cover and leave to prove for 1-1.5 hours at room temperature, or until doubled in size.
Make the tiger topping by stirring all the ingredients together. Leave for 15 minutes.
Paste the tiger topping thickly over the loaf and leave to rise uncovered for another 30 mins. It doesn’t matter if some of the topping slides off of the loaf.
Place the loaf on the middle shelf and bake for 20 minutes. After this time lower the heat to 200C/400F and bake for a further 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.

Some things;
The topping is quite fussy and is easy to overbake, if it looks like it is going too dark too quickly then turn the temperature down to 200c or lower early. The pattern is also completely unpredictable, sometimes you will get amazing fractal type things and other times it will be underwhelming (but not in taste).
I used olive oil to knead, but I guess if you want it to taste stronger you could knead with the Toasted sesame oil although your hands and the work surface will probably reek of sesame for days after.
This recipe works really well for individual rolls, just divide up the dough and do about ~2/3rds of the cooking times.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 26, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made some rolls and a boule loaf

crumbshots

I think I cut the loaf too deeply and it was slightly underkneaded. Still tastes like :swoon:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made burger buns for tonights dinner.

Recipe

They were gorgeous

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

meatsaw posted:

Those are beautiful - what's the consistency like? I've had success making burger buns but it always seems like it's just too much bread in the meal, if you know what I mean. My yeast roll recipes always seems like better candidates, but aren't as pretty/bun like. Are they really light?

The consistency is like a rich brioche. Very soft and airy but with a good bit of substance to it.

Although if I was to do them again I might portion the recipe into 12 rather than 10. At 10 (~140g dough each) there was quite a lot of bun to get through vs burger.

twoot fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 10, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Instead of the usual cake my dad asked for some bread on Fathers' Day instead. So I took the opportunity to try out some baguette and viennoiserie.

Tasted great but the texture needs improvement, probably because I manhandled the dough too much when I was shaping. I also had the baguette mould which held 3 of them pushed a bit too close together. Definitely need more practice.

They are amazing. The crumb was pretty heavy but it was to be expected as I used supermarket plain flour instead of French super-fine stuff (although I'm definitely going to invest in some for next time). The only real problem was the Creme Patissiere recipe I used for the Pain aux raisin wasn't quite thick enough so it was mostly absorbed by the dough during proofing. The two pain au chocolat made from offcuts were the best :swoon:

Frozen around half of them all to have at a later date.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I've wanted to do sourdough for a while, so a couple of weeks ago I followed this weekendbakery recipe for their Rye sourdough starter. It smelled really good when it was ready.

My first sourdough loaf wasn't much success. I used another weekendbakery recipe for a Pain Naturel. The dough proved brilliantly and was nice and plump, unfortunately despite heavily flouring the bowl it was proving in, it stuck to the sides really badly. By the time it was on the baking sheet it was an amorphous stretched blob. It was getting late so I didn't have time for more proving, so I just quickly reshaped it into a boule and stuck it in the oven. It tasted nice, great sour flavour, but it was dense and mostly airless. The next day I ordered a couple of bannetons and they got delivered yesterday.

I tried the Pain Naturel recipe again and this was the result;

Great flavour and soft.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

reflex posted:

I'm looking to make some hamburger buns. Would making the no knead bread recipe and just dividing up the dough into balls instead of an entire loaf work, or and should I be using an entirely different recipe? I was going to brush the buns with egg wash before baking. My main concern is ending up with bunch of flat pancakes on a cookie sheet.

I really like this bun recipe; http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/26/dan-lepard-mustard-buns-burgers-recipes It makes a very rich soft almost-brioche bun, and the mustard can be substituted for a little more creme fraiche if you don't want the slight flavour it brings. The only thing to consider is the portion size, 10x140g per bun makes a massive bun, dividing it into 12 or 14 is more manageable.

This tutorial explains how to shape a boule. A burger bun is the same, just smaller.

twoot fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 15, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Today I found that my ~2month old rye sourdough starter that I've been keeping in the fridge grew a white mould and it stunk like bad cheese. I just tossed it.

I'll start another at some point. We really just don't get through enough bread at the moment.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Doctor posted:

Someone come in the thread and talk some science here. I just scrape it because I don't want a purple boozey starter.

Yeast doesn't ferment at 100% efficiency. It will also produce small amounts of short chain hydrocarbons like methanol, ketones, esters, ect. My starter smelled like nail polish remover (acetone) and had the clear liquid layer on top. This is because the small hydrocarbons diffuse to the surface and evaporate. The same thing would happen in bread if it had a high enough water content and was left sitting for long enough.

I always mixed the stuff back into the starter whenever I fed it. I suppose that there might be a degree of toxicity towards the yeast but I don't know if it has ever been tested.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Nicol Bolas posted:

Bread thread, can you help me troubleshoot? I've followed several different recipes in hopes of making tasty bread / rolls, but the crumb is always disappointing and dense and the crust is insipid. It's impossible to slice for sandwiches.

I really want the chewy crust and springy innards of a sourdough or our favorite tuscan pane from the store, or even the light airy interior of your standard Italian loaf, but I can't seem to get there. I am good at savory cooking but this sciencey baking is kinda hard. Am I just under-kneading, or under-proofing, or under-fermenting, or what? I can't imagine this is anything but my lack of patience at work here.

If someone had a stupid-proof recipe for regular unbleached white flour and King Arthur white whole wheat flour in some combination, I'd be much obliged, because apparently I am too stupid to walk through a regular recipe.

How are you shaping your bread?

When I started out I wasn't shaping correctly causing a lack of tension in the loaf, which leads to a poor rise and resulting in a bad crumb. If you are doing a freeform loaf then the indicator of poor shape is the loaf spreading outwards rather than rising up.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The lack of kitchen scales in the US is just seriously weird. An analogue kitchen scale can be bought for ~$4 in any supermarket in the UK. Its just simply something which every kitchen has, in nearly every country apart from the US.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made a malted flour loaf, turned out pretty well;

It makes amazing toast.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Midniter posted:

Is there such a thing as TOO much hydration in dough? I'm fermenting a no-knead batch of dough in my fridge right now and it's a bit runnier than the last one I did. Not runny, per se...just wetter. Any downside to this? Going off this recipe, scaled up a bit. I've never found the amount of water called for in that recipe to be nearly enough to make a cohesive ball of dough, but I accidentally added a little too much this time. What is going to happen?!

Higher hydration = harder to work and handle, mostly. Higher hydration also unlocks massive bubbles if it proves for long enough.

In a no-knead I don't think you'd notice the difference.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

This is my 80% Hydration Baguette attempt ~#8 (I think). The other attempts were edible but not really worth photographing for varying reasons. I think I've almost got the hang of the technique.

My kitchen was pretty cold today so they probably could have done with another 15~20mins to get a really open crumb structure. Tastes great.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

If you can afford one (and have spare kitchen space to store it) then a bread maker can be really handy.

Even if you get a machine you can still do handmade. I use mine whenever I want standard sized sandwich bread with no fuss, set overnight to be ready for breakfast. Other times when I want something more artisan or just feel like kneading then I'll make bread by hand.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I needed a heftier mixer for making large quantities of pizza dough, so I got an Ankarsrum. I've not had much time recently for breadmaking but here's two batches I remembered to photograph.

75/25 Wholemeal/White, super highly seeded (poppy, seseme, golden linseed, pumpkin, sunflower)

50/50 with Muesli (using Milk instead of water, had lots to use up).

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

That's a really nice crumb for such a high proportion of wholemeal. What's your secret?

Edit: or are those seeds?

You can see the crumb there, it was pretty good despite the heaviness from the sheer quantity of seeds.

That was a UK brand of Very Strong Wholemeal bread flour (ie high gluten), which will have helped with the crumb. I've also found that upping the hydration of wholemeal can improve it a lot (within the bounds of workability).

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

You could try an Autolyse. Where you combine 75-90% of the flour with all of the water required, then leave it for 1-12 hours to hydrate and allow gluten to passively form. Afterwards you continue on by adding the remaining flour/ingredients and kneading as described in the recipe.

It allows for greater passive gluten formation so that the machine/hands need to do less work. It can improve pretty much any bread recipe.

twoot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 21, 2015

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

Could you go into some more detail about this? I hadn't heard of doing this before but if it can be applied to any loaf it seems pretty simple!

Gluten is a network of two smaller proteins called gliadin and glutenin which link together in the presence of water. If you hydrate flour then gluten will form passively but it takes a while so we speed up the process by agitating and disturbing the mix (kneading) to bring more and more free gliadin and glutenin into contact for linkage. Essentially a long "autolyse" (which I think is a terrible name) forms a lot of the gluten passively, meaning that when you come to knead it then your "start position" is more built, necessitating less final kneading and better overall structure. An autolyse recipe will usually call for less than the total amount of flour initially because adding yeast/salt/other ingredients ect later is more difficult in a final dough consistency, easier to add things when the dough is slightly too wet and then add the remaining flour last.

Many bakers will say that an autolyse will also impart better flavour and softness to the bread because the starches in the flour will have had longer to hydrate and flavours longer to develop. This is kinda woo-ey so I wouldn't stake anything on it, but generally more time doesn't do any harm.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

That reminds me, Cold fermenting is another great simple technique. It accomplishes the same thing as an autolyse but does so with yeast/other ingredients added, using the cold temperature of a fridge to prevent the dough from exploding prematurely.

twoot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 21, 2015

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made milk sandwich loaves.

Its like eating a tasty cloud. Amazing toasted.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

therattle posted:

Recipe please.

Huxley posted:

I make that same loaf, out of the Joy of Cooking:

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2038145--Joy-of-Cooking-s-Milk-Bread

It is absolutely wonderful.

That looks good but what i used was much simpler;

(per loaf)

600g Strong White bread flour
380g Whole Milk @ room temp
20g unsalted butter @ room temp
1 1/4 tsp yeast
2tsp salt
2tsp sugar

Mixed dry ingredients, added milk and butter, kneaded in a mixer until smooth. Waited until doubled, knocked back, shaped for (900g/2lb) loaf tin, then proved in the tin until doubled again.

Oven preheated to 180c with a pan of boiling water for steam. Baked for 45mins.

twoot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 5, 2015

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Thank you for the recipe! I made this last night, and it came out very nice with a good, tight crumb - but there was barely any oven spring. Should there have been? I did let it crown by an inch before baking but it didn't gain any more height in the oven.

Lately I've been having trouble with oven spring. Any french style loaves come out beautifully but sandwich loaves get no spring or sometimes even fall. I have a baking steel on the bottom rack of my oven and a pizza stone on the top rack with ample room between for rise. Any suggestions?

My loaves had a ton of oven spring. The day I baked those my kitchen was very warm from cooking other things, so possibly my batch proved more than I let on in the post. When I put them in, the dough was just about creeping over the edge of the pans, maybe rose above the pan by ~2inches at the top. I'd say that my loaves were probably almost verging on over-proved (started to get non-uniform bubbles in the centre).

The biggest mistake for lack of spring I've seen around (and i've made) is probably not putting enough tension on the dough when shaping it. If you aren't shaping somewhat like the video at the top here then try it out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Keetron posted:

I did not yet manage to get a good bread when kneading with the KitchenAid yet. Tell me your secrets!

In my experience the mid-high/high hydration recipes just aren't worked properly by a dough hook. I genuinely don't know where a lot of recipes get their timings from. You could leave them kneading for an hour and never get a windowpane. I think it's because the dough basically just moves around like a fluid and never builds up any tension.

My trick is to start kneading with a beater attachment

until the dough forms a ball around the centre and the bowl is mostly clean. Then it'll support a dough hook for another few minutes until the dough is ready (windowpane).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

One of my starters has those black specks on again, so here's s picture. I only started it yesterday, and kept it in a box on my PC for warmth. It's the same place and container as last time it happened, I think I messed that up getting it too hot, went very runny. It had the right smell and after I scoped off the dark stuff it rose for a bit, as much success as I've seen for weeks.

The specks are in the flour, you only see them when a high-hydration batter starts to dry out at the surface. You'd see them if you made a pancake batter and left some of it out overnight by accident.

Mix up your new starter once daily with a clean spoon then scrape down the sides of the jar. About 2 days in (UK kitchen temp wise - cold) you get a slight rise from bacterial growth, ignore this and keep on mixing once daily. Keep doing this until you've seen the starter double in size again (or see the remnants of a rise on the sides of the jar). This has taken up to a week for me sometimes. If you see hooch on top mix it back in. The only thing you need to be wary of is fluffy mould growth.

Then it is ready to start feeding, leaving at least until it has doubled again, then discarding half, and repeat. I've done this in my cold UK kitchen a few times.