Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Anyone got a good cornbread recipe? The one I've been using is from a book from the 60s and it's dry and bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm thinking about baking my first loaf of bread, any tips/common noobie mistakes I should avoid?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Guess I'm gonna make a few practice loaves before I do this special recipe with expensive (by my standards) ingredients then.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Two questions

1. How does the shape of a vessel affect how long it takes dough to rise
2. What do percentages mean

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

1. Not at all; the dough simply has to double in size, roughly. It's more about the texture of the dough than anything.
2. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/handbook/baker039s-math

Thanks. What did they mean in this recipe then?

quote:

Several commenters have had trouble with the second rise, and this seems to be caused by the shape of the bowl they are letting the dough rise in the second time around. Two hours for the second rise is too long. If you don't have a 1-qt bowl, bake 3/4 of the dough in a loaf pan and bake the rest off in muffin tins or a popover pan — I recently made 6 mini loaves in a popover pan. The second rise should take no more than 30 minutes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can you make no-knead bread with milk or does it go bad/mess with the fermentation?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a reason to make loaves round instead of loaf-shaped?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

poverty goat posted:

if you're doing ~artisanal hearth breads~ or whatever you're shooting for that dank crust that won't happen against the walls of a loaf pan. And to that end you can proof a boule in a regular mixing bowl and bake it in a dutch oven without buying any specialized equipment that takes up space and is only useful for bread. A dutch oven is perfect for this and produces the perfect steamy environment without any steam wizardry so many people stop there

Everyone would be doing batards instead of boulles though if they weren't slaves to their dutch ovens. A batard has the crust and uniform slices and is pretty much the (bastard) king of bread shapes, but you've gotta steam your oven somehow (I bake on terracotta tiles, preheat with a brick in the oven, and steam the oven by pouring boiling water into a pan with the hot brick)

Is there a more noob-friendly way to steam an oven?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Does bread made with rapid-rise yeast and a single rise taste different from bread made with active dry yeast and two rises?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Me brushing butter on crust that turned out dry

https://giant.gfycat.com/FluffyBigheartedIridescentshark.webm

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Do you need to do mixing/kneading different when you're using a stand mixer? When I try kneading after all the ingredients are mixed it seems to really tax the machine

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That means that your machine isn't up to mixing that much dough of that stiffness at that speed.

But it was only a single loaf's worth at the lowest speed :eng100:

When I say "taxing the machine" I mean that the tone of the motor would get lower and it would slow down slightly when the dough hook sank in the furthest, and the back of the stand was warm at the end

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

baquerd posted:

I think a little of this is pretty normal, particularly for lower hydration doughs. If it were to start grinding, smoking, or halting, that would be a big concern.

Okay, thanks.

By the way this is what I made (with molasses) and it turned out great https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a video of the poke test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Stringent posted:

I've very nearly got my adaptation of King Arthur's Russian black bread recipe to sourdough dialed in. Didn't get this one mixed as as uniformly as I should have, but the flavor and texture were quite good.

Gotdam