Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I think it means don't throw the stone in the oven while it's hot, because the change in temperature may cause it to crack.
In other words, you need to let the stoneware heat up with the oven, and not throw the cold stoneware in a hot oven. As far as i know there is no way of baking bread in a cool oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I baked this today. I like how the crumb turned out but the top split a little

edit: image too huge

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 30, 2014

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it's a modified no knead bread i've been tinkering with for a while. i like the regular no knead bread but i wanted it to be a bit easier to work with, so i took out some of the water and increased the fermentation time a little.

i make a smaller loaf usually:
350 g KA bread flour
270 g water
1/4 tsp yeast
10 g salt

mix it all together and ferment for 15-20 hours. flour your hands and a piece of parchment and the top of the dough and get the dough out of there any way you can onto the parchment. the top (what used to be on the bottom of the bowl) should be unfloured, so start grabbing it from the bottom (floured) and pinch the unfloured part together until the skin on the floured side gets tighter, then shape it into a loaf. make some cuts in the top and immediately put the loaf with the parchment paper into a preheated dutch oven in a 425 F oven for 35 mins. remove the cover and bake another 12 minutes.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Wait shaped then straight into the oven no 2nd proofing after it was shaped?
That's probably why it cracked on top. It's usually caused by not letting the loaf proof enough after being shaped.
The outside of the bread is too tight and can't stretch as fast as the inside grows when it goes into the oven.

proofing this dough is weird. if i let it sit ten minutes on the counter the thing gets floppy and completely loses it's loaf shape. i've actually baked a bunch of loaves of this bread in the same way that didn't have a crack in the top, but the crumb wasn't as nice.

Nicol Bolas posted:

For the ferment--are you talking a fridge ferment or one on the counter? I assume fridge?

on the counter.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

first loaf of the season let's get this bread yall

A shot of the bottom, i've had problems with the bottom burning sometimes but have developed new strategies to address this (putting a sheet of foil on the rack underneath the dutch oven):

v happy with how it turned out.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

blixa posted:

The sourdough starter I have in my fridge is super happy and it shows. 70% hydration, all white bread flour. And delicious. Looks tiny because I was playing around with portrait mode on the phone but it's a normal sized loaf (total flour weight for two loaves: 775g).

nice.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Turn on the oven light and put the dough in.

I've also briefly turned on the oven like you described, it worked fine.

Bread question, when I form a loaf I tend to end up with a seam running along the bottom of the loaf and up inside it, which makes it want to split when I slice it. It feels like the act of forming a boule is conducive to that dough-butthole on the bottom, so what should I try to avoid it?

are you using a lot of flour when you shape?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i have a very good SD starter right now. i made it from just king arthur whole wheat flour and ap flour and spring water.

all white:

20% whole wheat:

the whole wheat really surprised me, i often can't even get a result like that with yeast.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'm not sure what theirs is but it's probably similar. i just used 100g of the red whole wheat flour and 100g of water, then every day after that i feed it 50/50 cheap AP flour and spring water. my tap water kills starters so i had to use bottled.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

70% with a 1 hr autolyse (no salt or yeast)

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i wouldn't worry about rust but you will probably experience some mineral scaling that can be removed with vinegar. nice crumb

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

for 100% rye that looks pretty great. i was expecting a big chunk of cement lol

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

pretty much every single picture in this thread since i last posted is amazing. people here are cranking out some seriously outstanding bread

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

95% KA bread flour, 5% KA white whole wheat. 75% hydration, dutch oven method

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i was baking with a starter for a while. honestly i went back to yeast because of what a pain in the rear end it was.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gluten free bread is not bread.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

probably one of the last ones i'll put out this year since i dont bake much bread in the summer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Boot and Rally posted:

This looks like the stuff I buy from a local baker. How do I make this?

it's not too hard but you probably will have to practice at it for a while. the basic recipe is 425g bread flour, 25g white whole wheat, 355g water, 1/4 tsp yeast. mix that together and ferment it over night, you should see some bubbles when you wake up.
measure 10g of salt into it and put about a tbsp of water on that and dimple it into the dough, then squish everything together so the salt is thoroughly mixed in. let it sit for 30 mins, and do a turn and fold on it (if you don't know what turn and fold is, google it) do the 30 mins + turn and fold 3 more times. by the end the skin of the dough should be pretty tight, and on the fourth time you should transfer to a banneton or bowl with a floured kitchen towel in it.
rest it in the towel for a half hr, then preheat a dutch oven inside your oven at 500 deg for 1 hr. so the dough inside the towel has now been rising for 1.5 hrs total. now take the dutch oven out, take the lid off, and drop the dough into the dutch oven. after replacing the lid and putting it back in the oven, bake for 20 mins. remove lid and bake for another 30-40 mins until it's really dark and brown. remove it from the dutch oven and rest it for at least an hour, preferably two, and you should have some nice bread.

the most important advice i can give imo is after you've added the salt you want to be very gentle with the dough so as not to deflate it.