Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhundult
Apr 4, 2013
We love making bread, but seem to have issues. We use a kitchen-aid stand mixer and dough hook to mix it up, and then let it rise. Is this enough kneading, or should we take it out of the bowl once it's mixed and knead it by hand before it rises? We seem to get good results when we let it rise, and after we do this, it gets divided and put into loaf pans to rise once more, before baking. Again, it seems to rise fine. Pu tit in the oven, and bake it, and it seems to always come out smaller than when we put it in.

When it comes out of the oven, it never looks right. It's usually compressed, and when you cut into it, it looks heavy. It tastes good though, so we keep trying, but have yet to make anything that looks even remotely as good as the pictures here.

Any suggestions? Next time we can try, I can take pictures of each stage if that helps someone figure out where we're going wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhundult
Apr 4, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

What recipe are you using? I'm going to assume some kind of white sandwich bread. How much are you letting it rise at each step? Double?

Yes, basically a regular white bread recipe. And doubling at each rise stage. I can post the exact recipe later if that helps after I get home.