Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Looong time lurker here, posting some breads.

I've been into bread for a few months and started a spelt... starter... some time in February. I was making bread every day until recently, but I realised that I was eating too much, so now it's more like every other.
Here is a 100% spelt sourdough, not risen a lot because I don't bother kneeding for long enough these days, but I love the taste and texture how it comes out:

This was spelt with butternut squash and chilli powder (not sourdough):

Another non-sourdough 100% spelt, but with more kneeding:

50/50 white/whole wheat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
I set it to 250C and put a metal pizza "stone" on the highest shelf that will let the bread fit without hitting the roof.
When the oven says it has reached 250, I boil 100-200ml of water, quickly put the dough on the pizza stone, then throw the water in the bottom of the oven.
It stays at 250 for 10 minutes, then I look to see how the bread is browning and adjust the temperature to 170-200C based on that, and leave it for 20 more minutes.
I do not open the door once it has shut until after the full 30 minutes (watch out for a lot of steam when throwing in the water and when opening the door!)

Edit: I should note that the top three images have just/mostly household fluorescent lighting, so the colour looks drab, while the lower image has mostly flash for lighting, so it looks much better. They all look better in real life.

Placid Marmot fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 30, 2013

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
I made another bread

It's a spelt sourdough, with a cup of soaked flakes of rye, wheat, oats and barley, with the same mix of flakes on top, plus ground linseed (flax seed) for my omegas. You can't tell from the picture, but the loaf is really big - more than 1kg, I estimate (ate most of it before weighing). I spent more time than usual kneading and letting it rise, so it's very soft and airy, but with a nice, crisp crust.
My poor diet :(

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

contrapants posted:

After watching that video, I tried using Richard Bertinet's method. I made a partially-whole wheat rosemary loaf.

Baked at 400*F for 20 minutes. It is delicious.

Just below the top seam where I slashed it is hollow and a little doughy as if it didn't completely cook in the center. Slices from the center fall in half when I used it for sandwiches. I think next time I should bake it at 350*F for ~35 minutes.

According to his video, at least, you should have cooked it as hot as possible (i.e. not 400*F) for 10 minutes, then dropped the temerature down some amount and cooked for a further 20 minutes.