Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I only use King Arthur flour when I bake my bread. My wife loves to go cheap on me and buy store brand flour, and the bread comes out not nearly as good. This past weekend I made two loves, one a basic white bread, and the other i decided to experiment and make a cinnamon butter mixture (1/4 cup melted butter, 2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon sugar. Mix all until combined). I flattened out the dough after the first rise with a rolling pin, spread the mixture on top of the dough, rolled into a loaf and did the second rise in the pan. Came out fantastic, my kids are half the loaf in about 20 minutes after it cooled. Will do that again.

Plus it looked neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Oh, I love cinnamon (and other) roll loaves! The absolute best French toast I've had in my life was made from a cinnamon roll brioche. They're also really great to just snack on, especially if you have little ones.

yeah, I think next weekend i'll make french toast out of this stuff if any remains.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Oh, the reason you want to use bread flour for one half is for the higher available gluten. White whole wheat and bread flour have a similar protein level, but WWW doesn't have near as much available gluten as KAF bread flour...though you should be able to use KAF AP instead of the bread flour, if you want to.

You can feed your starter however you want, and it'll change the taste accordingly. The reason I like to use rye to start it isn't for taste, but rather because it makes initial fermentation super easy. You can also make a starter, take half of it away, and turn that into a different starter just by feeding it with different flour.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but what sort of yeast are you using? I've only used Fleischmann's Yeast, and a 'starter' is just me using 1 cup of finger warm water + sugar to ensure the yeast is still good.

I also add a six oz. can of evaporated milk to the liquids before i add the flour, i find it gives a good flavor.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
That looks fantastic and perfect for dipping into olive oil.

Want!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

woops :downs:

I mixed the dough last night and was going to stick it in the fridge after 2 hours of rising in the kitchen but fell asleep. Woke up 7 hours.

I'm not home right now so I can't bake it or let it rise in a warmer environment (oven) so I'm not sure how it'll be when I actually bake it. The dough looked fine. Is my dough boned for letting it rise in the kitchen (65F-69F) for 7 hours?

I'm going to bet that it will collapse when you put it into the oven to cook it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
that looks awesome! Would be good bread to make bread bowls out of.

As for the fermenty taste, how long did you let it rise?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, its good and easy stuff to make.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PiratePing posted:

Sounds like my first attempt at pizza dough. Added too much water and ended up with this gloop that was impossible to knead, so after flailing impotently at it for a while I just poured it into a muffin tin. The rolls were very tasty and baguette-like.

I want to try a high-hydration loaf soonish but it seems like such a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I have not had much luck with pizza dough either.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

le capitan posted:

When i made my own natural starter i let it sit for 3 days before feeding it at the beginning.

Wait 3 days, peel away the dried up crap on top and take a tablespoon of that and feed it once a day.

It should smell pretty ripe.

You are using these starters for sourdough, right?

I've been making cheese lately (see the cheese thread) and I have a ton of whey left over. People have said that you can use it in place of water when making bread. Has anyone tried that? How does it come out?

I always add a 6 oz can of evaporated water to my bread, should i do that still if i am using whey?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
evaporated water, its the best thing for bread! Also known as steam I guess.

I mean evaporated milk. I guess thats what happens when i post after going through a sixpack.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I've started my french bread for the day, and I'm in the early parts of my 6 hour rise. Part of what the recipe calls for is for me to place the dough in a baguette pan. I don't have any one of those, anyone have any advise how i can shape and raise the dough in the final rise before baking?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

What's the best way to store bread after it's baked?

They keep getting hard... I don't have a breadbox, is there something like that I can do?

Whatever you do, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE. That makes bread go stale faster than anything since it causes the gluten to crystalize.

You can freeze bread, and it will be fine when you take it out to thaw.

Now that we have that out of the way, what you can do to keep your bread fresher is to make sure you have a good crust and that you cover the cut sides.

I personally will mist my bread when I first put it into the oven to ensure I have a nice crunchy crust. This also helps prevent oxygen from attacking the gluten when i'm storing the bread.

When I eat it, I will cut off the heel and save it. I will place the heel against the cut part and wrap it with plastic wrap to minimize the air contact, then put it into a plastic bag and seal it up tight.

But no matter what you do, understand that your bread will stale within 5-6 days. So eat it fast and make more fresh bread!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

NightConqueror posted:

If you have a large stainless steel bowl you can put that over the bread to mimic the steaming effect you get in a Dutch oven.

Make sure that the bowl is large enough that the expanding bread won't bump into it!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have just learned how to make pretzel rolls. ohgod. So good.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Roundboy posted:

....and that recipe would be ?

:)

This basically, I can't be assed to type it all out. However before I put my rolls in the oven i put a little melted butter on top with a brush.

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/amazing-soft-pretzel-rolls/

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I made baguettes yesterday for the first time, and drat did they come out good and crunchy. My wife and I ate one in the span of a few minutes, she took the 2nd one to work, and I am eyeing the 3rd one now. Don't want it to go stale ya know. It was easy to make, just took a long time to rise the bread.

I have also started on a sourdough starter. On day 3 of the feeding, and its coming along nicely. I fed it rye flour the first few days, now switching to white flour for the rest of the week. Its bubbling nicely and is getting a distinctive smell. This is going to be good I think.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

therattle posted:

How would you do a no-knead sourdough with a long fridge ferment? My instinct would be to mix some starter with flour, water and salt, stick in the fridge for a couple of days, remove, shape, proof, bake.

From what I have read in my King Arthur book, you need to let it get going first after taking it out of the fridge. So feed it 4 oz flour and 4 oz water, mix it up well and let it sit at room temp for 6-8 hours. Putting the starter on a heating pad set to low to get it to 80 degrees would be best.

[edit] that's for the starter. For the dough itself the book says that "The dough may need some time at room temperature for the last bit of rising, but if the bread looks ready to go the minute you pull it from the fridge its fine to put it directly into the oven. Cold dough going directly into the oven will reduce initial baking temperature in the oven, so compensate by preheating the oven 50 degrees higher than what the recipe calls for. Once the bread is in the oven reduce the heat to recommended temperature and bake as usual.

This just what the book says however, I have not made any sourdough bread yet however, see my above post

Cimber fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 18, 2015

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I would imagine that would go stale fairly quickly. are you making it for dietary needs of someone, or just for shits and giggles?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
My first ever artisan bread, a sourdough using the King Arthur recipe. It has rye and white flour, and a 7 day old starter, a bit of water and that's about it. I don't know the hydration perchance, but the dough was fairly moist. Smells fantastic, i want to cut into this sucker sooner rather than later, waiting to let it cool is going to be hard!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I just realized that my wife, during her new years clean out the fridge/freezer routine, threw out my sourdough starter.

I am sad.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Anyone use buttermilk in their bread?

I'm doing a white/wheat mixture right now where instead of using 5 oz condenced milk I'm using 1 cup buttermilk. I'm going to assume the acidity of the buttermilk is going to slow down the rising time, so this is probably going to be an all day process.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tea Bone posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask as it's not strictly bread, but it's still baking.
I tried making some Cinnamon rolls this weekend, they came out okay, but the edges turned hard and crusty. Is there anything I should be adding to the recipe to keep the edges soft?

This is the recipe I followed: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4727/clone-of-a-cinnabon.aspx

Cook at a lower temp for a longer period p'haps?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, I just got done with my 'make it up as i go along' bread, and goddamn did it come out nicely.

2 cups hot water
2 packets yeast
1/4th cup sugar.
1/3rd cup veg oil.

Mix together, let yeast activate. After 10 minutes add:
2 cups king arthur white flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt

Mix together well, let the sponge sit for 30 minutes.
Add 1 cup whole wheat flour, and enough white flour to make a ball

Knead for 5 minutes, let rest 5 minutes, knead another 5 minutes

Let rise 2 hours under a damp cloth. Punch down. Let rise another 2-3 hours again.

Here i diverted from my intentions. I was going to make two loaves, but i decided fuckit, i want to make round breads.

remove from rising bowl, divide into four balls. One ball i rolled out into a tube, the others i left as balls. Placed on greased baking sheets. Let rise another 1.5 hours

Heat oven to 475 with an empty pan at the bottom. Once oven is at temp add 2 cups Ice to empty pan to generate steam. Immediately add bread and cook for 20 minutes.
One set of bread i removed immediately, which made the crust soft. the other two i left in the oven after the 20 minutes for another 10 with the oven turned off. They are in the back, and have a much crunchier crust.

Great success!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

angor posted:

Hooray for quickbreads! (I could've sworn we had a separate thread. Must be long gone.)

Gouda, manchego, sage, and black pepper drop scones. 35 minutes from walking into the kitchen and walking out with a fresh batch.

I want to stuff myself with those. Care to share the recipe?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

angor posted:

Sure!

<snip>

You sir are a god among men.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i make my loaf bread now with molasses instead of sugar, and i throw a cup of wheat flour in with the white. Comes out great and flavorful.

I also decided to have a little fun today. Made one loaf, the other half of the dough i put into small glass bowls and let raise, then baked it in those. Popped em out and let them cool, then stuck them in the oven again while I reheated chili i made yesterday. Cut the tops off and made nice bread bowls out of them. Was delicious.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Deus Mechanicus posted:

I once tried making bread and it tasted like poo poo, I think I'll just stick with buying sourdough from the grocery store.

try again. It tastes so much better home made. Start with a basic white.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I made a really good high hydration bread for thanksgiving and TBH it was the easiest thing I've ever baked.

500 grams of King Arthur Bread Flour
375 grams of water
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt

Mixed it all together in the same bowl on Sunday night. Didn't kneed, didn't do poo poo to it other than mix it enough to make sure everything was moist.
Covered it with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.
Put it in my fridge.
Took it out today 2 hours before dinner. let it warm up, then shaped it into two logs. All i did to manage shaping it was to dust the counter top and my hands with flour, worked the dough only enough to get it into two log shapes. Otherwise it was very very wet.

Let it rise for an hour.
Turned oven to 475.
Put into oven. Sprayed the poo poo out of the oven with water from a misting spray bottle to add steam.
Lowered heat to 450.
Cooked for 25ish minutes until crust was golden brown.
Let sit for 15 minutes.
Served. It was gone in 5 minutes, everyone was gorging themselves on it.

The ratio of water and flour is really important. I went with 75% water to flour and that seems to work pretty well. Might try 80 or even 85% sometime too.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Aramoro posted:

Been trying to get my bread back on track, did a couple of loaves yesterday

Bit of an extreme ear on that one but not too unhappy with these ones. I need to work on the shaping though, my ends are always a bit funny. Does anyone have a good batard shaping video that they like?

That looks amazing. What recipe did you use?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Scones are a quick bread, so they count in this thread, right?

How come my scones seem to come out more like a muffin and less like a dense scone?

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter (which is crumble and mix into the flour by hand)
2 teaspoons baking powder

All this gets mixed well together, then I add:
1 egg
1/2ish cup blueberries.
Mix this together, ensuring the egg yolk is broken up. Then:

less than 1/2 cup milk. I only add a dash of milk at a time and mix, until it just starts to come together as a dough.

I put a generous tablespoon into my triangle scone pans, cook at 425 for 15ish minutes. Comes out good, but pretty risen. Like i said, more like a muffin than a scone.

[edit] Here's what I made this morning.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 10, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

My #1 question is where's the buttermilk? #2, where's the baking soda? The flour/sugar/powder ratio seems way off too. Wherever you got this recipe it just seems to be missing a lot of the really basic elements. Although I will say we've never used a scone pan, so I'm not sure how that affects it.

My wife makes scones all the time and this is the recipe she uses (for sweet berry scones, others have some variations):

3 cups flour (all-purpose)
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp baking soda
2½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp kosher salt
1½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter
1¼ cups buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Then there's a mix of roughly 1-2 cups of mixed berries, and optionally some heavy cream and sugar to be brushed/sprinkled on top.

It sounds like you're probably doing the butter right, but just in case, make sure it's as cold as possible and you're cutting it into the dough without melting it. And then to shape them, basically the dough just gets gently shaped into a thick disc and then cut with a dough cutter.

Also notice no egg, though I'm not necessarily saying that's a requirement. Just posting what works for us.

I pulled that recipe from the King Arthur cookbook. Don't need baking soda because baking powder is the soda plus cream of tartar that gets activated with the liquid. Baking soda needs an additional acid (your buttermilk) to activate.

How thick does her scone come out? Is it denser than my photo is of mine?

Cimber fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 9, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

effika posted:

When I make scones that turn into scuffins it's because I used a recipe with eggs and didn't keep my butter chilled. Treat them like southern biscuits and they'll come out better.

Interesting. I wonder if the egg + the baking powder in the recipe i'm using is making too much CO2. I'll try another one next time.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
That looks more like what I'm aiming for, not the 'scuffin' as Effika aptly called it.

This is what I'm using, called Mrs. Humphrie's Scones: https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/mrs-humphries-scones/113937

If you have the Two Hundred Anniversary Cookbook its on page 63. (great book btw, well worth getting)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Stupid Decisions posted:

If you want to find buttermilk try a larger M&S or Asda, both my local ones stock it. It should be with the other creams (sour cream, double). Apparantly you can make it by mixing some lemon juice with regular milk but I haven't tried.

I used it to make some scones the other week for the first time and they were reakky good.

Actually, making real buttermilk isn't that hard either. Get a quart of heavy cream, toss it into a mixer, turn that sucker on and forget about it for about half an hour. COme back and you have homemade butter, buttermilk at the bottom and a burned out mixer motor.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
OK, so tried scones again, this time making a modification of the recipie i'd used yesterday. Added more flour, a bit more sugar and baking powder but with reduced proportions with the flour, and stayed at 1 egg. Increased the butter to 1 stick that I shredded on a cheese grater. Gotta tell ya, thats the best way to prepare butter for incorporating into flour.

Also didn't use the scone pan but instead made a patty then cut wedges.

Before:

After:

This seems to have come out better than the last time. Not as fluffy as 'scuffins' but not a rock or cookie either. I'm pleased.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I honestly prefer to work all my butter/lard/shortenings into flour with my fingers. I just have a better sense of the texture of the ingredients and can find those little globs that need to be broken apart. If I do it lightly and rapidly I don't have to worry about melting the butter with my body heat.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bolind posted:

I have a cake recipe that's like:

100% flour
50% cold whole milk
5% active/fresh yeast
6% whole egg
15% sugar
1% salt
15% cold butter

This bread calculator says resulting hydration is 50.5%.

Recipe says to let it rise for 2-3 hours at room temp. I'd like to turn that into 8-10 hours so it can sit while I sleep, opinions on how much I should scale down the amount of yeast to hit that?

Put it in the fridge and cut the yeast in half.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So question about kneeding bread. If I'm making a basic white bread and the dough gets sticky and seems to form 'stretch marks' on the surface as I'm kneeding it, does that mean I need to kneed longer and add more flour until it isn't sticky any more, or what?

I made bread yesterday for Christmas and it was really good (and the rolls I made from the same dough were gone within a few minutes), but this is more just a general question.

4 tablespoons rapid yeast
1/4th cup sugar
1/3rd cup oil
5 oz can of condensed milk
2 cups warm water
Add flour until it comes away from the bowl, was about 5ish cups then probably about 2-3 more cups as I was kneeding it. The dough never got super smooth, always seemed to have the stretch marks after a few minutes of kneeding.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tuyop posted:

I don’t work with fortified dough very often but generally if you’re kneading and the bread starts to tear it’s due to some combination of:

Not enough time to proof
Too dry
Too much kneading

In your recipe you have about 850-1000g of flour (1 cup is 120g, let’s say) for about 750g of liquid, which is 88-75% hydration so pretty reasonable. How did your proof go?

Or wait, was this a recipe where you mix and then knead immediately?

Yeah, i mixed all the liquids (and sugar) together, added the yeast and let that sit for about 15 minutes to start fermenting, then added flour until it pulled away from the bowl edges. Immediately started kneeding for 5ish minutes, adding just enough flour to make it not sticky any more. Let it rest for five minutes while I washed the bowl that it rises in, then kneeded for another 5 or so minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
God I wish my bread would come out as airy as that Aramoro.

Ok, that does it, i'm making another batch of bread now, going to try to go for 80% hydration. :D