Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Most recipes I see advise to cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap while it's proofing. I have some large Tupperware-type containers - would it be okay if I mixed the dough in one of them, and then put the lid on? Or does it have to be plastic wrap, which I imagine would allow some airflow while the sealed lid would not?

Basically, I just loving hate dealing with plastic wrap.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made a bread!

It is really really tasty and I'm extremely proud of it.

I used the Serious Eats no-knead recipe and I think my oven might run hot because after taking the lid off of the dutch oven, it recommends baking another 30-45 minutes. I pulled it out at exactly 30 minutes to check and it was just on the cusp of being overdone - the crust is a bit hard, but it's all worth it in the end.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

My latest batch of bread is kinda dry. How do you keep bread from drying out?

Increase the hydration level of the dough and/or reduce cook time?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Use a thermometer! I take mine out when it hits about 209 degrees.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

twoot posted:

50/50 White/Wholemeal bloomers I made today;

That's some professional poo poo you got going on there, great job!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheLawinator posted:

Bread people, I made a mistake.

Making a simple no-knead, decided I was cool and figured adding some sugar would be cool for people that wanted it a bit sweeter and less yeasty. Now the dough wobbles and isn't super solid. I know why that is, but how do I fix it now? If it's not right for bread anymore, can I make something else with it?

What's the recipe and how much sugar did you add?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I never thought I'd be floored by a picture of a loaf of white bread, but drat. Awesome job.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

In the end it's like bread and cake got together and made a delicious baby. It tastes amazing but the crumb is too cake-like to satisfy my want for bread.

Leave a couple thick slices of that out overnight. Make french toast. Die happy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bacalou posted:

Just moved to another state and no longer have access to a silicon baking mat. I have access to a pizza stone to bake bread, but have no experience with doing so. Usually I'd wipe my french bread down twice during baking with a wet kitchen towel and have a casserole dish under my pan with water, but I've heard that moisture and pizza stones don't get along. Should I just bake the bread on an uncovered half-sheet pan with additional corn meal on the bottom, or is there a better method using the stone I don't know about?

Bread dough isn't necessarily that much wetter than pizza dough, they can have similar levels of hydration. It would be perfectly okay to bake bread on the stone itself - the heat of the oven would evaporate any surface moisture on the stone and it's certainly not going to absorb a bunch of the water from the casserole dish and become sodden or anything. Just bake the bread as you normally would and if you're still worried, just leave the pizza stone out to dry for a day or so afterward to make sure it's bone-dry before your next use.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Is there such a thing as TOO much hydration in dough? I'm fermenting a no-knead batch of dough in my fridge right now and it's a bit runnier than the last one I did. Not runny, per se...just wetter. Any downside to this? Going off this recipe, scaled up a bit. I've never found the amount of water called for in that recipe to be nearly enough to make a cohesive ball of dough, but I accidentally added a little too much this time. What is going to happen?!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's 70% hydration which should be just fine. Are you measuring by mass or by volume? If the latter, stop it.

By mass, of course. Volume?? What am I, some sort of savage?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Beyond sane knolls posted:

The last few times I've tried a no-knead, it developed a really tough crust on top after a ~12-hour rising period. A pretty tough, gross, bubbly crust. Would this be a result of too much saturation or too warm of an environment?

Of evaporated milk? drat dude.

Sounds like exposure to oxygen by the outmost layer of dough, to me. Dehydration maybe. Did you have it covered with plastic wrap?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pointsman posted:

Used to do a little bit of baking back in the day, but I want to get back into baking bread. Thread's been a great help. Had a pizza stone kicking around that I'd never used before too.

2nd loaf since getting back into it, really happy with how it turned out:

Would shatter my teeth on that crust.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

twoot posted:

Many bakers will say that an autolyse will also impart better flavour and softness to the bread because the starches in the flour will have had longer to hydrate and flavours longer to develop. This is kinda woo-ey so I wouldn't stake anything on it, but generally more time doesn't do any harm.

Before I got my stand mixer any time I'd make a loaf of bread it'd always be no-knead. For sure, the longer I let it cold ferment (5.5 days is as long as I've let any single loaf go, 1 day the shortest), the better the flavor after baking.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I've made some lovely loafs based on Ken Forkish's methods.

That looks incredible. It looks so good you almost wouldn't even need any butter on it. What kind of loaf is it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Phanatic posted:

Yes, absolutely. You can even let it do the whole fermentation at fridge temps. Mix the flower and water, let it autolyze for a while, add the yeast and salt, mix, right into the fridge for a few days. Take it out, proof it, bake.

Not only CAN you refrigerate no-knead dough, you SHOULD refrigerate it as it helps develop the flavor. Keep it in the fridge for around five days and try it then.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mich posted:

Wedding day bread for a friend. Just a basic sourdough boule.

That is gorgeous and I'd pay like $10 at the supermarket for something like that. Great job!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I've not tried this with breads, but in cakes I've had success using 3tbs of the liquid you get out of a can of chickpeas as a replacement for each egg. It serves the same binding function as an egg, you can even make meringues with it.

I thought about suggesting the same, but isn't that liquid more of a substitute for egg whites, since you can make a meringue out of it? Nicol Bolas's original recipe includes only the egg yolks, which in a bread I would think would be there more for richness and flavor rather than for any binding action. I'd suggest using some other vegan fat source, and maybe upping the flour a little to make up for the lack of thickness of the egg yolks, or skipping that ingredient completely and seeing how they turn out. Maybe just add some more butter vegan fat source?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made this easy no-knead dough last night. I've made it a couple times and my mind just blanked and I threw it in the fridge right away, rather than letting it rise for the 12-24 hours. I took it out this morning and it'll be sitting at room temperature all day today; have I irreparably failed the recipe, or will it be okay?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nooner posted:

can you make bread if you dont have like a mixer dealie or anything? I want to learn to make bread but im not buying a mixer dealie just to make the bread that would be dumb

Here you go Nooner.

All you need is a bowl, flour, water, yeast, and salt.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I watched Cooked on Netflix this weekend, and the Air episode was pretty interesting with all of the breadmaking. Is it really that easy to make a loaf of bread without commercial yeast, by allowing wild yeasts to leaven your dough? Every time Michael Pollan talked about bread being composed of only three ingredients (flour, water, salt), I kept wondering why he wasn't mentioning yeast. Have I been misled my whole life about this?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

:allears:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Goatfather posted:

slowbread supremacy!

70% whole wheat levain bread w/ dates and coriander seed~

W@W L@@K

That really does look amazing. When you say 70% do you mean hydration, or 70% whole wheat? If the latter, what was the remaining 30%?

Recipe please.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shnooks posted:

I've been making the King Arthur Flour no-knead bread recipe for a couple of weeks now and it always seems to come out really gummy and dense when it's done. I use 807g of AP flour and 100g of whole wheat, but keep the rest of the recipe the same. I bake it in a cast iron dutch oven. I don't have this problem with regular, kneaded-bread recipes, but I like that I can make half a gallon of dough and just make bread throughout the week.

I'm not really sure what to try next. Should I reduce the water content?

How long are you letting it rise? In that recipe, the minimum amount of time to allow the initial rise is 2 hours. That's enough for a kneaded dough, but absolutely not enough time for a no-knead dough to create enough gluten. Any time I make no-knead bread I leave it in a warm spot at room temperature for no less than 24 hours before punching it down and fridging it if I'm not baking it right away. Also, the addition of whole wheat flour may be hurting your oven spring since it's simply won't create the volume that regular AP flour will.

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have a couple of specifically 18-24 hour+ recipes that they love?
I don't have the option for the many overnight breads (start at 4pm, bake at 8am) and would prefer something i can start when i get home from work, stick in the fridge and then finish the next day when i get home vs a normal/quick rise bread same night.

Here's the no-knead recipe I use. Make the dough, leave it out for a day, punch it down, let it rise for a couple hours, bake, done. You can punch it down when you get home from work, bake it a couple hours later, enjoy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quick question - for an aspiring baker who wants to bake mostly using whole wheat flour, what's a better book - Tartine, or Flour Water Salt Yeast?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife made a batch of Smitten Kitchen's whole wheat bread, baked half of it and put the other half in the fridge. A couple days later, the top had formed a bit of a skin and was a little hard in one spot. Is there any way to reverse that hardening, say by adding water? Or how can we avoid that in the future?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Moey posted:

Baking is a little tough because I am living at 9800'.

:stare:

Where in the world?!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made a couple loaves of bread yesterday using this recipe. It came out like this:

It's goddamn delicious but the hole structure in the second photo isn't as airy as I'd have liked. What can I do to make it better next time?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mikey Purp posted:

It seems like your shaping could use some work, and it probably could have used more kneading/gluten development. Did you use a stand mixer or knead by hand?

Yeah, my shaping was poor with this one. The second one came out much better.

I used a stand mixer to knead. The recipes calls for 3-5 minutes, but I did probably 8 total as it is a pretty wet dough as the comments note, and it never really felt "elastic", just sticky as poo poo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think I figured out why I didn't get the spring I wanted. Turns out about half of the flour I used (I finished off one un-labeled container and got the rest from another un-labeled container, thanks wife) was cake flour. Whoops.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Absolutely!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stringent posted:

I've fixed my dough handling issues and seem to be back on track.

Goddamn gorgeous. Love the crumb structure and air holes. Nice work!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Huxley posted:

Shortening is good for this if you're doing sweet, but bacon fat is great if you're doing a savory or hot bread with chili peppers.

I like to use bacon fat even with a sweet cornbread, gives it a nice savory punch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

baquerd posted:

My latest bread is hosed up because moving from banneton (my first go at these) to skillet resulted in some sticking and ended up cooking the bread upside down. I did a cross scoring in the middle of the dough, and the dough seems to have collapsed in the middle as part of this. Really interesting pattern on the bottom of the bread I guess.

I would eat your bread.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

baquerd posted:

I've been forgetting my sourdoughs and leaving I'm also baking the bread on my gas grill, with surprisingly good results

Whoa, details? Never thought of doing that, and I've been feeling like baking bread lately but don't feel like warming up the kitchen with the oven in this heat.

Since grill thermometers are notoriously unreliable, I imagine you need an oven thermometer to get it right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stringent posted:

Finally had a go at focaccia. Added diced pancetta, parmesan and rosemary to the dough. Was good, would focaccia again.

God drat that looks amazing. The interior looks like lard bread, with the texture of focaccia?? Sign me right up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nice work. That's a great bread for a first attempt!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

there wolf posted:

Anyone got a recommendation on how to store a sack of flour? I don't want to leave it in the bag because I make a mess out of small bags of flour. I was thinking just a bucket with a screw-on lid to keep pets and weevils out.

My wife uses these for storage of various types of flour, and they work quite nicely. I guess it depends on how much flour you're looking to store.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fatkraken posted:

is it OK to ask about bread machines here?

Most definitely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Check your oven temp, too, preferably with a thermometer. If your oven's not hot enough, you won't get as much spring.