Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

poverty goat posted:

has every grocery store everywhere stopped stocking rye flour? has there been a recall or something? around the new year every store in virginia beach apparently stopped stocking rye flour altogether, except whole foods, which has 1lb4oz bags for Iike $4. Every grocery store. I think I checked everything in the region except kroger :wtc:

I've recently fallen in love with making traditional danish Rugbrød (it's so loving good) and yeah, the most difficult thing for me has been finding rye flour at any reasonable price or quantity. It's so strange too because, hey it's not like american rye bread is hard to find in bakeries or stores. I guess nobody is making it at home anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

w00tmonger posted:

Please do this and report back. This would be a game changer for me

That might be the clincher for me to actually get one if that works

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've been working on getting some crusty ears perfected. This past weekend I got a pretty good result (but scorched em a little!)

My SO loves the crusty bits though, and when I left the room I came back to an ultra-heinous Bread Crime scene

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sourdough question, I'm messing around with the recipe I've used for the past 5-6 years for two loaves which is:

500g white
350g wheat
600g water
250g wet starter
2% salt (~17g)

I don't bother with an autolyze and just mix it all together and then let rise for ~12 hours on the counter, then bake at 525 for 20m in an 8 quart dutch oven and then another 10 with the lid off. (I put it straight into a pre-heated dutch oven)

I'm thinking of trying to shift my loafs more towards 100% whole wheat though. So, today I tried doing the above, but with 600 wheat, 250 white with 700g water and a one hour autolyze. The dough turned out pretty flavorful, with two issues:

1) The dough's a lot stickier and harder to work with and it stuck to my banneton, despite it being really well seasoned with white flour. Maybe I should put cornmeal in the bottom of the banneton?

2) my oven spring really suffered. The loaf that stuck to the banneton completely pancaked and the other one didn't rise enough to give me any crusty splits.

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe the dutch oven I have is too big for a 900g high hydration loaf? Or maybe I didn't give it enough folds to work up the gluten?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Rationale posted:

Also my sourdough starter turned black in the back of the fridge.

Pour off the gross stuff and feed it and see what happens imo