Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Soricidus posted:

sandwiches have two unconnected pieces of bread

tacos are pizza

What about a sub sandwich on a not fully cut roll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Here's my most recent no knead loaf.

And the millennial shot:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Here is my latest sourdough loaves. Used the rustic sourdough bread recipe from King Arthur.

Turned out pretty good and is a great size and crumb for sandwiches.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

The starter seems to be active; it has that delightful "sour porridge" smell and there're bubbles both on the surface and along the sides of the glass container, so it's got stuff going on, but I wonder if there's a way to tell if it's insufficiently, uh, potent, in order to bake with?

How long/old is your starter?

Mine was about three weeks old with feedings at least 3 or 4 days a week before I actually started to see a rise in it. I would see bubbles in the starter every day but I never really saw it double in size. I was about to give up on it and I just pulled it out of the fridge and fed it a few more days in a row and then one day it just started almost overflowing the jar I use with lift/rise.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

Hm, yeah, it is reasonably young. I started it about a month ago with weekly-ish feedings after getting it going (it's living in the fridge the rest of the time).

Sounds similar to my situation. I would say (based on my limited experience) just keep it at room temp for as many days as you are home and can feed it once a day. If you have to put it in the fridge because you can't feed it the next day then that's fine as long as it keeps making bubbles.

Everything I've read online says that until it starts doubling in size, your starter simply hasn't been fed enough. And you just have to keep going.

If it isn't rising and it isn't making bubbles at all, then something is probably wrong.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

bartlebee posted:

I made a sourdough starter using this guy's starter and starter recipe (RIP Carl): https://carlsfriends.net/OTbrochure.html

I probably have about a cup or a cup and a half of fermented starter. How much should I be keeping on hand to keep the starter viable/how should I be feeding it to keep it going? I was going to use Jeff Varasano's sourdough pizza dough recipe but I want to keep the starter on hand for future recipes. Varasono link: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

I would suggest weighing the container you plan to keep your starter in in grams while the container is empty. Then add 50 grams to that number. Write this number down or memorize it. This is the weight of container plus the amount of starter you should be holding back after each bake. So basically remove all starter except for 50 grams each time you feed it (the part you remove is typically called "discard" and you can throw it out or use it to bake with or whatever you want).

So you have 50 grams of starter in the container now and you will want to stir in 100 grams of the flour that you use and 100 grams of filtered water. Mix that up and let it start fermenting and rising.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Baked the King Arthur Sourdough Sandwich bread recipe yesterday and it turned out really nice.

Recipe

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

I got a friends sourdough starter as a birthday present and have no idea what to do.

Do I keep it in the fridge? Is there a good guide on feeding? Do I give it a name?

Give it a name. Mine is James Earl Starter Jr.

Keep it in the fridge. Buy a kitchen scale and get used to using grams. I use this one. Check youtube for sourdough guides (that's what I did). This one is ok but the guy is kinda intense sometimes.

Look for some sourdough starter guides on youtube. This guy is good, but a bit spastic at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAiDki7AQA

My personal schedule for my starter is that I pull it out of the fridge once a week and feed it once or twice and then put it back in the fridge until sometime the next week. It should last in the fridge for multiple weeks if not even months or longer.

When I pull mine out to feed it, you have to "discard" some before feeding it or else it would end up growing and growing until it overwhelmed your house. I use my scale and I spoon out enough starter into a bowl until I have only 50 grams left in the jar (you need to know your jar weight in order to do this or you can scoop out weigh and then put back in).

So now I have 50 grams left of my starter in a jar. To that I add 100 grams of new flour and 100 grams of filtered water. Stir it all up and leave it in a warm spot for 12 hours or so. If it's a healthy starter it will form bubbles and possibly double or more in size during those 12 hours. If you have a cold house you might be able to put the starter in your oven (turned off) and turn the oven light on and that might get closer to a warm temp than the rest of your house.

Now you have a fed starter and you have your discard. You can throw your discard out or you can find a recipe to bake and use the discard in that. Most people find a recipe before they feed the starter and then start the process with the discarded starter.

King Arthur Flour has a fantastic website with tons of good recipes in cups and weights and they have a good blog with a lot of useful information. They also have one of the most wholesome comment sections on the entire internet. Very helpful. I'm on this website frequently for recipes and tips.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

bartlebee posted:

I have sourdough pizza dough in the fridge doing a two day slow ferment. I’m going to cook two pizzas tonight for Valentine’s Day. Should I pull it from the fridge and let it get to room temp before shaping? Also, are you supposed to punch it down before separating into individual dough portions or leave it all puffy? I’m just now getting back to baking and am a little rusty.

I'm not a pro or anything, but you definitely need to get it to room temp to shape. I would treat it like other dough and flip it out onto the counter and split it into portions. I wouldn't worry about pushing out all the before. The bubbles will get punched out during shaping. If you have a scale, I would weigh the whole dough and then use math to get similar sized portions if that matters to you.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It was a bitch and a half trying to get it into shape and in the oven because I guess I wasn't using enough flour and it kept sticking, and I did a terrible job of scoring the top but it seems to have baked?

This is a great video about shaping. It is shaping it into bread for a loaf pan, but right in the middle he's gotten the bread into a boule shape (the shape yours is in) and that might make it helpful for you for next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYWyxkBWq7Q

My suggestion is to make sure you're always shaping with a dough scraper in your hand to make it easier to scrape up the sticky bits.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Something I picked up from Southern Living just this morning was to pack all the biscuits together so that they're forced to rice upwards instead of outwards. Also, they prep their fat by freezing it and then grating it.

I base my recipe on Southern Living's. Another tip is to melt a couple of tablespoons of butter and paint it on the biscuits right when they come out of the oven.

Here are mine from a few weeks ago.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This is more my flavor and I can't really get it. My wife mocks this style as being like the Pillsbury tins but I regret nothing. Do you know how thick your dough is when cutting? I'm not getting anywhere near that kind of height.

I roll my dough to somewhere between a quarter and half inch. Probably closer to a half, but I don't really measure. Like someone else said, it helps if your biscuits are touching in the oven. They help each other rise taller. Also, it's important to use the biscuit cutter and press it straight down. Do not turn it when you're cutting the biscuits. If you turn or twist the cutter when you cut, you won't get the rise you're looking for. Go straight down and straight back up.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The butter should also be in larger pieces than you're probably processing it to.

If you grate the butter it works as well. That's what I do and what we were talking about with the Southern Living recipe.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, so I have overly dense white bread. Is that from not kneading enough? Because this Motherfucker doubled in size twice when I let it rest.

How are you measuring your flour? Are you using a scale? If your answer is yes, then we might all need more information. But if you're measuring your flour with a scoop (cups), then you might be packing too much flour in there? I was doing this at first and it caused dense baked goods.

If you don't have a scale then my favorite way to measure into cups is to get a spoon and spoon flour into the cup and do not pack the flour into the cup, but scrape across the top to measure.

Once the world gets back to normal or you get a little bit of money to dedicate to baking, buy a cheap digital scale if you're not already using one. Made a big difference in both quality and amount of time I invested into making bread.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I made some test dinner rolls and they came out much denser than I expected. Not too bad, but not the light and fluffy buns I was going for. What can cause this? My yeast was some I have had forever, but the dough rose just fine.

Bread, what a mystery.

How are you measuring your flour? Seems like a dumb question but if you're not measuring properly, you could be adding a lot more flour and that will cause denser bread (while still getting a decent rise).

Best way to measure flour is with a scale. But here's an example of how you should be doing it if you don't have a scale.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/videos/baking-skills/how-to-measure-flour

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just ordered a pullman loaf pan, so excited to see if I can actually make sandwich bread.

I have one showing up tomorrow!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

mediaphage posted:

topical. literally just put a pullman in my cart

I've had mine a few weeks. So pleasing.

Also: don't try to lie to us and tell me you're not measuring all your breads.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I literally have a pull measure I bough just to keep in the kitchen to measure out precise cuts. Made those King Arthur pillowy cinnamon rolls and you god drat bet I rolled my dough into a perfect rectangle and sliced each one at 1.5 inches. Also I measure out all my cookies so that every single one weighs the same 30 g. Everyone thinks I’m crazy but I’m an irl scientist that’s my excuse.

I'm a web developer. What should I say is my excuse!?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Stringent posted:

i'm in japan and there is no buttermilk to be had

Can you get buttermilk powder online? I use that for buttermilk biscuits sometime when I am out of the real stuff. Substitutes very well.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

redreader posted:

I bought the https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/harvest-grains-blend-3-lb and added half a cup to my most recent no-knead bread. Holy poo poo it's good.
KA bread topper: rubbish.
KA Harvest grains blend: Amazing!

I've been using this a lot lately too. Here's their Harvest Grains Bread recipe I use. This is also good to shape the dough into buns for grilled chicken sandwiches instead of making a whole sandwich loaf. Make sure to egg wash the tops and sprinkle more harvest grains on there for looks.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

fourwood posted:

One of the main go to no-knead recipes is from King Arthur Baking.

e: or sort of the OG by NYT Cooking, but may be paywalled, I dunno.

I haven't read this whole thing yet, but Kenji Lopez-Alt breaks down that OG NYT Cooking no knead recipe here and I'm told by a couple of friends that it's a very interesting article.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Made some telera style rolls today for tortas later tonight. The recipe is from King Arthur Baking, but to get them to appear more traditional, you need to score them prior to final proof with something like a metal straw instead of using King Arthur's knife scoring technique. I learned that from deep in the comments. Someone mentioned techniques they saw on youtube so I did some searching and found this helpful video.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Dacap posted:

I wanted to try making a seeded loaf and got a bag of mixed seeds (pumpkin, flax, sesame, pumpkin).

What is a good proportion to mix into the dough % wise? I also read I should soak the seeds before incorporating?

I bought this stuff from King Arthur Baking and use it often. The packaging says 1/3 to 2/3 cup to each 3 cup flour recipe. I do not soak mine, but mine also doesn't contain large pumpkin seeds, so I'm not sure about that.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I have let my sourdough starter live in the fridge unfed for many months. Probably close to 8 or 10 months last year when I was baking non-sourdough things.

Mine gets a dark liquor color on the top but I haven't really seen mold. I just dump everything out except for the bottom tablespoon or 50 grams or so and scoop that into a new vessel and start again and everything has been fine.

We're making sourdough from yeast that lives freely in the air. Scrape that mold off and I think you'll be fine.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody have much experience making submarine rolls or hoagies or whatever? I am trying to get to there from baguettes in a wood fired oven. I ain't getting it. I think I need twice the dough of a baguette. I also have been failing at getting the structure that would hold up. I find high-hydration dough wants to flop outwards and I have to act like I was trying to make ciabatta instead.

I use a recipe similar to this for my sub rolls (I've tweaked this recipe for me because I don't want as many rolls at one time):
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/nola-style-french-bread-rolls-recipe

Here's what mine end up looking like:

beerinator fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 6, 2021

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Baked a little challah today.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

effika posted:

I never have powdered milk. I just substitute milk (or fake milk) in for some of the liquid instead and it's been fine.

This is what I would do. Just remember that there is fat in milk and if you're using regular whole milk it's not 100% water so you can't replace it 1 for 1.

If a recipe calls for dry/powered milk and you leave it out, it just means the finished bread might not be quite as tender and it might not brown as well in the oven. But other than that it should still be just fine.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I can't remember if I shared this already but I made some bread with a green soda that's available in my neck of the woods. I used a little bit of green food coloring because the color isn't as strong as you might think. Then I rolled it with an uncolored dough and made marbled "soda" bread.

It was for a silly St. Patrick's day sandwich I made. Here's the blog post I wrote about it on my sandwich blog. https://boundedbybuns.com/soda-pop-reuben/

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Chicolini posted:

this guy has a writeup of making a grape gatorade bread, along with other delightfully stupid food experiments.

https://foodisstupid.substack.com/p/no-knead-gatorade-bread?s=r

Dennis (the author) is a friend of mine. If you like wild food experiments, subscribe to his substack.

Ishamael posted:

This is a weird but fun idea, and a good read.

Thanks!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Braggo posted:

Appreciate it! My plan was to feed every 12 hours or so for a few days to try and get it back into good baking shape. I'll post results if I'm able to get it going again!

I just brought my starter back from the dead after more than a year in the back of the fridge. What you're doing is exactly what it took mine to come back. Took me three days of feeding twice a day to get it doubling or more every feeding.

I just baked this small pullman loaf with my sourdough starter today. There's 2 grams of instant yeast in there to speed things up a little.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Braggo posted:

Oooh, that looks awesome. You have a recipe? Part of the reason I neglected my starter was because I was making Shokupan a few times a week for sandwiches for the family in a pullman pan.

Here's the recipe I've been working on off and on for the past few weeks. I wrote the directions for a 4x8-inch loaf pan AND/OR a 4x9 inch pullman pan. So it's the small pullman. I like it best in the pullman pan, but in writing this type of recipe I find most people don't have one of those.

https://boundedbybuns.com/recipes/r/sourdough-sandwich-loaf

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I'm working on weird recipe adjustment to turn my sourdough sandwich loaf recipe into a copycat Frisco burger recipe. I have a couple of ideas, but I'd love to hear others' opinions if anyone has one.

I'm trying to replicate the bread in these photos without buying a new pan. I have the dough and rise and all that sorted.

My two ideas are:

1: try to get a really round torpedo-shaped loaf that's like a really thick submarine sandwich roll. This will probably have the crease that the top image on the right has because the bread will relax while baking.

2: make a bunch of tall balls of dough that are the size of burger buns, bake them and then slice the top and bottom off. This is probably the easiest, but it might be the hardest to calculate the size properly.

The main issue with both of these techniques is to make sure I don't have huge bread for the size of the burger. Any ideas?

I'm doing all of this because I have a sandwich blog and I'm working on recreating and updating this hybrid between a burger and a patty melt with sourdough.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Seems like you could get a cylinder loaf pan or can?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Black-Corrugated-Birthday-Baking/dp/B0B53PC7VP/
is it heretical to suggest a Pullman loaf and a square burg?

Whoa, I never even considered that there might be cylinder loaf pans like that. I'm guessing that's what they are doing. I figured they were probably baking in something like an extra wide baguette tray that kept the dough a certain width but let it rise up.

All of my first attempts have been square. I was just seeing if I could do something more round. I'm going to try both a tall ball and a log today and see what I can come up with.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seconding the bake it in a can plan

I started down the process of baking in a can plan and I found the perfect can. I opened and dumped my San Marzano tomatoes into a bowl to save for later in the week and then learned a new lesson that anything in a can that is acidic will have a non-BPA lining. I probably could have figured out a way to remove the lining, but it would have likely required a fire and outdoors. Instead, I used the can as a form for a homemade aluminum foil "can" that I let some sourdough rise in. It worked ok. Not perfect, because it's aluminum foil and didn't rise straight up.

This will get probably 3 or 4 slices if I go fairly thin, but in the process of looking all around my house, I realized that I have ceramic ramekins that I probably can use to make tall buns that are about 4 inches in diameter. I think this will work best without buying a dedicated pan.

The benefit to all of this process is that now I have an open can of San Marzano tomatoes so it's going to have to be pizza night really soon!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

tuyop posted:

Has anyone tried a sourdough in one of these?

I have. But just the smaller sized Pullman.

You just need a recipe that has enough mass to rise up above the pan and it should work.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

null_pointer posted:

Anyone got a recipe for supermarket "bulkie" rolls? Just yer standard, puffy, oversized white sandwich rolls that are my go-to for egg sandwiches. I feel like these rolls are purely the product of food science and manufacturing, since I've never made anything nearly as light and airy.

If you're looking for something like a good soft hamburger bun/roll, King Arthur has a few good ones.

Here's their simple hamburger bun recipe.
This would probably be a good recipe to try if you're just starting out or if you've never made buns before.

Here's a potato bun recipe.
This one requires a couple of ingredients that you probably do not already have. The potato flour will soak up more liquid than regular flour which means you will end up with a soft roll that has a bit more shelf life. Dry milk powder should help add tenderness to the bun/roll. Both potato flour and dry milk powder also have a long shelf life, so if you find that you enjoy baking, these two ingredients should be a bit of food science that you can use in your own kitchen.

The potato bun recipe also works if you want to make dinner rolls for something like Thanksgiving. You just need to make much smaller dough balls for the smaller rolls.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Bagheera posted:

Recommend a good loaf pan for the home cook.

I use a Dutch oven for most of my breadmaking. Sometimes I want to make a loaf shape (like a Pullman loaf). My old loaf pan is now rusted out. I need a new one.

Probably any cheap loaf pan from Target will do the trick. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a higher quality loaf pan (maybe one with a lid to keep it steamy?).

I like my small pullman pan.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DUF1TUW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can buy it with a lid, but what I did was buy the larger pullman pan with a lid and the lid for the large pan fits the small pan as well. It just hangs over, because it's longer than the pan, but it works just fine. Here's the larger version with lid.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UNMZPI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
double post :(

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

tuyop posted:

I have a little carbon steel Pullman bread pan. How do I use it for sourdough? Should I preheat the pan like I do a Dutch oven?

I currently have an olive walnut loaf proofing in the fridge in an oblong basket waiting to bake in the morning, destined for this pan.

People do not typically preheat a Pullman pan. You typically do a first rise until the dough has risen enough for shaping and then you put the dough into the Pullman pan for the final proof. Moving your loaf from a basket to the pan is going to deflate a lot of the gas that you've built up so you will probably need to give it another rise period before baking.

The final rise in a Pullman you would want to put it in the oven when the dough has risen to just under or right at the top of the pan. Or if you have a Pullman and want to use the lid, you will want the dough to rise to just under the lip of the pan and then slide the lid on and bake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Could it be a schiacciata?

Here's a recipe that I haven't tried, just found it from google.
https://ladyandpups.com/2020/03/09/best-sandwich-bread-florence-style-schiacciatta/

edit: oh whoops. Didn't realize the person above me was the op asking the question.