Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Recently got in to making bread. Haven’t done much baking before so this is definitely a whole new skillset. Reddit suggested this tutorial for a first loaf which is what I did. It’s exhaustive in detail which I found super helpful. I’ve made it a couple times and it’s gone pretty well – although I used an old ceramic baking dish that my loaves stuck to pretty badly. I got some new tins for my birthday, though, so that problem is solved. Their second lesson is using 50% whole wheat flour for the same loaf, which I tried this weekend. My wife took some glamor shots for me, I’m pretty happy with how it came out:
https://imgur.com/a/n8d9VZL

I guess my question is… what now? As a complete novice I’m having difficulty figuring out how to move forward. Obviously I can search the internet for “bread recipe” but I don’t feel like I have the knowledge to recognize a good recipe from a bad one. Same for identifying the relative difficulty of a recipe. It seems like general consensus on the internet holds King Arthur Flour as a trusted source – do I just grab a recipe with good reviews from there and go at it? I assume there are some failures in my not-so-distant future, but I’d like to at least be able to learn something from it rather than just failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Anyone have a go-to dinner roll recipe they like? Thinking of making something fresh for Thanksgiving to bring along.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

These are pretty great. If you put them all in a square or rectangle pan and let them all bake up against each other they are like the store bought brown and serve rolls. Just little squishy carb bombs that are perfect for this time of year.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-white-dinner-rolls-recipe
The dough is good for cinnamon rolls too:btroll:

I made these over the weekend and they were just what I was looking for. A little denser than the super fluffy hawaiian rolls but still sweet and buttery. They did come out looking a little weird because I really struggled with portioning + shaping. After the first rise the dough was a little... tough? It just kind of held its shape and resisted rolling in to a ball from the hard edges that I cut when portioning.

Probably give them another try tonight as I can't risk loving it up for Thanksgiving. I'd never live it down.