Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Friend of mine came by to drop off some SAF Instant, and then threw in some of his sourdough starter that he made himself.

I feel like he dropped an orphan baby on my doorstep. What do I do with this stuff? How do I store it? How do I bake with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Should I bother getting a dough whisk and brotform?

Since I have a sourdough starter now I imagine I'll be baking at least a loaf a week.

Anyways, my first sourdough loaf, based on this recipe:
http://www.breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/

Crust a little overdone, loaf shape is a little flat...

What can I do to make it taller?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 1, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Related to that: are metal peels preferable to wooden ones? I notice they're a lot thinner.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Was there a seam or a crease where the bread split open?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bread goes stale because of moisture in the air

http://myhbar.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/why-does-bread-go-stale/

So expose your bread to less air. Fridges will keep bread for a month (maybe even longer!), but they will turn slightly stale overnight and stay that way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

NightConqueror posted:

I call it "Breadse"

Doughse

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nevermind

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 25, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

I'm leaving my second bread I ever made to prove right now and I was wondering something. In the OP it says that with a mixer it should take 2-3min to knead but we have a Kitchenaid and I feel it takes longer than that. Is there any technique to know when the dough is kneaded enough?

Do the window test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyb86ECObTM

Make sure to work it out to size with lots of squeezes, don't just stretch it in one big go

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 3, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a lame or are they all the same, or can I just hold a razor in my hands

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Critique me

No knead sourdough, first proof 12 hours at 80F, second proof in metal bowl with no-stick baking spray and a little flour for about 2 hours, dusted with semolina, then inverted into preheated Dutch oven. Attempted to lame with a straight razor but it dragged. Sprinkled water because I didn't have a spray bottle. Baked 25 mins at 500F, then took the lid off and baked 15 mins at 450F.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's just that I GIS for boule and I see all these photos of gravity-defying double D cup silicone-enhanced boobs and mine just look like ordinary boobs. I want fake boobs!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 18, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm, a straight razor drags in my dough like a boot in wet mud. Is my dough too wet/soft or will a curved lame make that big of a difference?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've dried my sourdough for preservation. Should I stick it in the freezer or can it survive long-term in my pantry? It gets about 100F in LA during the summer.

Also, in its dried form can I vacuum seal it or will vacuuming kill the critters?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Those look delicious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS, all your time flogging Ankasarum mixers for bread has finally been vindicated!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Link to big here: