Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
So the last two nights I've tried to make bread using the NY Times recipe and my dough just won't rise.

The first night, I just threw the flour, salt and yeast in a bowl and then the water and mixed it. The second, I tried mixing the yeast with the water first.

I used two cups whole wheat flour and one cup regular flour. What obvious thing am I doing wrong? Is it the wheat flour?

Edit: I used half a teaspoon of yeast the second night.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I was using active dry yeast, with cold tap water. It sat around 15 hours, with nothing.

I'll try again tonight with room temperature water, more yeast and regular flour. I'll test the yeast first too before I waste more flour.

Also, should I use iodized salt or kosher? I don't think we even have any iodized in the place.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, I did the yeast test and the water got some bubbles so I thought it was ok but honestly I have no idea how many it was supposed to have, it was very little.

Another failure, I'm going to try again on sunday after I get more yeast and replace all the drat flour I've used.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Bleh. Yeah I was using the packet stuff. The difference in price is like a dollar for three packets vs. 8 for a little jar. Guess I get what I pay for.

Thanks for the help and advice. I don't plan on giving up yet.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

So I bought new flour and some yeast and sure enough my dough rose. It was really sticky in the morning, and would not retain any sort of shape though, and on the second rise it just flattened out.

It baked well enough, but it tastes like nothing, maybe a hint of yeast.

Edit: And I think I'm going to break a tooth on this crust.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

I am about to make the pretzels from this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buttery-soft-pretzels/
I'll let everyone know how they are. But does anyone have any other pretzel recipes that they enjoy?

I'm actually in the process of making these: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hot-buttered-soft-pretzels-recipe right now that I got from earlier in the thread.

I was going to use the one you posted, but it looks like it uses a lot more flour, and a lot of sugar. I'm curious how yours turns out, and mine as well. If they taste half as delicious as they look, then oh god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

They are pretty dang good. The only other bread that I have ever made was beer bread. These pretzels were really easy and browned out pretty nice. They had that dark brown mall pretzel color. There is a lot of flour and the dough was a little dry and thick. Very slightly sweet too. But the baked texture was really smooth and soft. I think that I will try to make another batch with less flour just to see how it turns out. Thanks for posting that recipe I will try that one too. Let us know how yours turn out. ^

They are pretty dang good. They browned fantastically. They remind me very much of those pretzels you'd get from a cart or the ball game flavor wise, but still a lot better. I wish I had used more sea salt for topping, as it really helps the flavor just sort of explode.

I think I'll try the other recipe next time, I would like something like Auntie Annes, more of a dessert pretzel.