Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Posted this in the What Did You Cook thread before realizing there is a whole thread about bread!

Made my first no-knead bread, holy poo poo it was so easy. And it came out way better than the more time-consuming bread recipes I usually use. No-knead is my new bread! Crunchy crust and chewy inside, great flavor. All around thumbs up. (I used the King Arthur recipe)

I made the dough last night (super simple, just flour, water, salt and yeast), and let it rise in the fridge for about 24 hours, then took it out and let it rise for another hour, then baked it for a half hour. A lot of waiting time, but since I was at work all day today it seemed like nothing.

Anyhow I am a no-knead convert now and my house smells like heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Verr posted:

Holy poo poo this! I've played around with gluten and such in sourdough recipes with a hard knead. But none of it compares to the no-knead autolysis bread I just popped out using the Ken Forkish fold method.

Flour, water, yeast, and salt with a whole lotta rising time and temp control = amazing simple bread.

Yeah I am pretty amazed at the no-knead thing. I have been making bread 2-3 times a week since I started, and I also learned it makes an INSANELY good pizza crust too. I just keep a big bowl of dough in the fridge and pull off a pound of it whenever the old loaf gets finished off. The only challenge is not eating it all as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Today's loaf looked great:

But there was a casualty. :(

BONUS: the pizza I made the other day from the same dough.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

guppy posted:

I don't really understand how you guys fit no-knead bread into your schedules. To me it's harder than just making normal bread.

The dough is in the fridge all week, I grab a pound of it whenever I want to bake, let it rise for 60-80 mins, then bake for 25. I get home from work at 5:30 - 6, we can be eating bread at 7:30 when my wife gets home.

Also, "cool enough to cut and eat"? You mean there are people who can let the bread cool all the way before eating it? :) I cannot resist it, that is when it is the best. Hot bread fresh out of the oven, served maybe with a beef stew or pasta and meatballs...Mmmmmm.

EDIT: Even when we don't eat it hot, it's pretty easy. I make the dough on Sundays, it sits in the fridge all week (the NK version I make can sit in the fridge for up to 9 days). I make new loaves every couple days in the evening for the next day's meals.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 16, 2015

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

guppy posted:

If no-knead is that forgiving it might work out better. If you're doing the "pull out as much as you need" thing then I'm assuming you're making small amounts like rolls, certainly less than a whole loaf's worth, or else you're getting 1 to 2 loaves out of it.

The recipe I use has about 3 or 4 one-pound loaves in it, or 2-3 bigger ones.

The one I followed was:

32 oz. AP flour
3 c. warm water
1.5 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp salt

Mix until a wet sticky dough is created, place in large bowl and let rise for 2-3 hrs. Cover, place in refrigerator for 2 hrs (up to 9 days).

When you're ready to bake, sprinkle the dough with flour, pull off 16-19 oz. dough, form into loaf or boule, place on parchment.

Preheat oven and baking stone to 450 (I have had better luck with 500), let dough rise 60-80 mins. Place a pan on the bottom rack under the stone. Slice the bread with a knife and dust with flour.

Place parchment and dough onto stone, add 1 c. water to the pan, bake 25 mins.

EDIT:

I just made 2 mini loaves today!

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 19, 2015

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Double-postin' to ask a storage question.

So I make these loaves that I really enjoy, they have a nice crackly crust and a soft interior. But then I am unsure of how to best keep them. If I leave a loaf out, it gets stale and hard, and if I put it in a bag the humidity makes the crust soft and chewy. It's not bad, but it is so much nicer when the crust is still crispy.

How do you guys store your fresh bread?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

Try slicing and freezing your bread - you can take out a slice as needed and revive in the toaster or oven.

Well if I am toasting the bread then it doesn't really matter, what I'm looking for is whether there is a way to maintain that initial balance of crusty outside and chewy inside.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

mich posted:

Sadly there isn't a way to get back that crusty outside without reheating, and if your bread is sliced, the inside will toast. You can try wrapping the slices in foil except for the crust but it still won't be quite the same. If your bread is a large boule, consider shaping it into 3 or so baguettes instead. Then you can wrap and freeze the whole baguettes, and when you reheat each one, none of the inside is being exposed to radiant heat to get toasted up.

That was exactly my question, thanks for the answer! I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I am not sure if this will be interesting to anyone, but I figure that pictures are always good when it comes to food. So here are some photos of the steps of the no-knead bread I made yesterday.

Here is the rough dough, it's a 75% hydration dough that is just flour, water, yeast and salt.

The first rise is on the counter, here it is after about an hour.

I keep it covered with another one of these old timey enameled bowls.

But sometimes it rises enough to start moving the bowls! (this was at the end of the rise, about 3 hours)

Then it goes into the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, usually overnight. It can stay there for up to a week or so. When it comes out it has fallen some.

But the gluten production is off the charts.

I grab about a pound of dough and put it on some parchment.

Let it rise about 80 minutes, then sprinkle with some flour and score.

And bake on a hot pizza stone at 500 F for 25 minutes. (I add a cup of water to a pan under the stone too)

It's delicious!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

kalstrams posted:

For my own dietary needs, but I eat bread rarely, and I don't expect/need it to last more than overnight, as I've come to view bread as a snack food.

You'd probably be better off going with something pre-made like Udi's GF Bread, otherwise GF bread can be a pain. My nephew has celiac, and we have made him the Bob's Red Mill bread from the mix and it works well too. I've found that both of those GF breads are pretty good once toasted.

Of course, that being said, if you can eat real bread then do that, it's no contest.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

If you like nice pictures of bread on instagram, this guy has a lot:

https://instagram.com/adullom/

Executive pastry chef for Ashley Christansen restaurants, a group of nice restaurants here in NC.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Yesterday's crumb shot, white no-knead:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Why would I ruin such beautiful pastry like that?

You monster.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Le0 posted:

I'd like to give a no-knead a try, what is the recommended recipe?

I've had good luck with the KA recipe that I posted about HERE and HERE.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Cornbread counts as bread, right? I grew up with sweet cornbread, but since moving to the South I have embraced unsweetened corn bread, and I really like it.

I made some cast iron skillet cornbread yesterday, and it turned out perfect. I took the Pioneer Woman recipe and substituted the 2 Tbsp of shortening with 2 Tbsp of bacon grease. I have always had luck with this recipe.

Doing the unsweetened version means I can add honey from our beehives.

Also, cornbread cleans the cast iron very nicely!

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 17, 2015

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Just want to say that I love everyone's shots of their stuff, looking good all!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

foxatee posted:

Wegman's (please say no, gently caress that place)

Whoah, hold on there Hitler

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

foxatee posted:

The place itself is rad as gently caress, don't get me wrong. But the only time I can make a trip is on weekends. Have you been on a weekend? gently caress that. It's like trying to get to the mall on the last shopping weekend at Christmas. So I'd rather avoid going for one ingredient.

OK, I will retract my Godwin. :godwin:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I had been making and enjoying the No-Knead bread for several years, but I was itching to get into sourdough. So I’m not sure if there’s any interest but here is how my sourdough experiments have gone over the past few months.

Step 1 was getting a starter going. I had tried once before, and had failed to get anything but a foul smelling jar of gunk that seriously smelled like nail polish remover. Not great. I chalked that up to the low temperatures of winter and decided to try again this spring.

I used this article as the basis for my starter: 7 Easy Steps to Making An Incredible Sourdough Starter

But after 7 days, it was still barely rising:

I couldn’t figure it out, so I decided to change the water to bottled. No difference. I thought maybe I needed organic flour, but I decided to check my bag of AP flour first. And that was when I realized I had grabbed the wrong red bag of flour every time.

Self-rising flour. Why do I even own this? But now at least I knew what the problem was. I started from scratch again, and this time I was seeing better rise and fall, but still at 7 days it wasn’t great. I decided to give it a few more days, and then suddenly it caught on and started working great. The smell changed from an acrid one to a very tasty bread-dough smell with a hint of tang, and we were off and running.

Now I had to learn about the different steps, which were mostly new to me. If it is new to you, here is a simplified version of this process:

Step 1: The night before the bread-making, I created a levain, which is just a second jar of starter with a slightly different ratio of existing starter to flour and water.
Step 2: Autolyse is just mixing the flour and water together and letting it sit for an hour.
Step 3: Mixing together the levain, the autolyse and some salt creates the dough
Step 4: Bulk fermentation is the process of letting the dough rise at room temperature. At regular intervals you fold the dough to help it build structure.
Step 5: Shaping is where you...shape the dough into a bread shape and put it in a basket
Step 6: Cold fermentation is where you stick the basket in the fridge overnight.

And then you score it and bake! It’s actually pretty straightforward once you have done it a couple times. But it can be finicky.

So after all those steps, I got my first loaf. It looked great!

But as it was cooling I read the article about how King Arthur recalled all that flour for e.coli. With a sinking feeling I checked the code on my bag, and sure enough:

It would probably be fine. It cooked long enough, that's for sure. But I decided it was not worth the risk to feed it to my kid. Before I gave this to some grateful birds, I checked out the crumb. Hmm. Not good crumb:

This is what they call “fool’s crumb”. Basically big holes and tunnels that happen in bread that is made from under-fermented or underworked dough.

So I made some changes to the next round, and added a slap-and-fold to the beginning of my bulk. Basically, smacking the hell out of the dough before setting it to rest, to hopefully knock the big air tunnels out of it. I also changed the length of time on my levain and my rise, and my flour ratio, to attack it from multiple angles. I saw better results, but I still wanted more.

Getting closer:

Finally, I changed my levain rise time, and changed the flour mix in the levain, I added spelt flour for some extra flavor. This time it really worked great.

Now we’re talking. Since that loaf I have been tweaking the recipe and times but nothing major, and have had continued success.

Here is the recipe I have ended up with:

Levain – 12 hr rise
50 g starter
40g AP flour
40g whole wheat flour
80g water

Dough
748g bread flour
110g wheat flour
49g spelt flour
691g water
16g kosher salt (diamond)
184g levain

1. Autolyse 1 hr
2. Bulk ferment 7 hrs (1 slap and fold at the beginning, then fold every 30 minutes, 3 times and then let rest)
3. Shape into 2 loaves, place in banneton and then in sealed plastic bags
4. Cold ferment 16 hrs in fridge
5. Preheat dutch oven to 500 for 1 hr
6. Bake at 475 for 20 min with lid on
7. Bake at 450 for 30 min with lid off

The final internal temp should be right around 210.

I have also made some great sourdough cookies and sourdough waffles with the leftover starter, I can share those recipes if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Homemade sourdough, lightly toasted, with a little butter, some avocado, and caprese salad on top. Thank me later.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 22, 2019

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That looks great. Well done, great photography, and I can't wait to make it for myself.

Thanks! I have had a lot of fun figuring it out. Plus, it's bread so even the mistakes are delicious.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Recent Bread Adventures!

So I have continued on with sourdough, and I have really loved it. But before I get to the sourdough, some other bread-related things I have made recently.

I have made Samin Nosrat’s Focaccia recipe many times now and it is SO easy and so insanely good. Unlike sourdough it’s an easy process and can be made in 2 days (well, prep at night and bake the next day).

I also made a sourdough chocolate babka (well, 2 of them). This was a fiddly recipe and I think next time I will try a standard one, I don’t know that the sourdough added much except a lot of extra work and time. That being said, holy poo poo it was good.

But the best things I have made from sourdough leftovers are sourdough waffles:

and my personal favorite, giant sourdough chocolate chip cookies (from a recipe by Tara Jensen):

These cookies are insane, the outside is toffee-like and crispy and the middle is chewy and perfect. Can’t recommend them enough, and it’s a great use for your sourdough discard.

Now on to the bread!

I have made about 25 sourdough loaves now, and I have started to get a good handle on it. I have made some changes to my technique, including trying out an oval banneton (the loaf ends up being higher in more places, making it better for sandwiches):

And trying to minimize the time between taking them from the fridge and baking. This led to a nicer crumb, more swirl and better height:

My current schedule is:

-Levain build the night before, let it rise for 11 hours
-Autolyse 1 hour
-Bulk ferment 7 hours (1 slap and fold, 3 folds)
-Cold ferment 16 hours
-Bake in dutch oven, lid on at 475 for 20 min, lid off at 450 for 30 min

The other day I was in an awesome bakery nearby, and I bought one of their sourdough loaves to compare to my own. Theirs was really good, but I was very excited to see that it was not hugely different than mine! They had a more pronounced sour tang and had a really nice addition of some crunchy bits on the outside, but I am definitely in the ballpark, which is awesome.

Mine is on the left, theirs on the right:

So overall, I am loving the bread making and I find it to be a huge stress-reliever. Plus my daughter loves the bread, which makes it feel worthwhile. Overall, thumbs up!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

slave to my cravings posted:

Hell yeah all of that looks real good. I’m gonna have to try to make the babka and sourdough cookies. I’ve been taking a break from bread recently but I think your post inspired me to get back into it.

Awesome!

The sourdough cookie recipe is this one:

And the babka recipe is HERE. I added a simple sugar syrup glaze, brushed on at the end as it comes out of the oven, I recommend it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Stuff that focaccia straight into my mouth please.

deploying bread sled

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Doh004 posted:

It has not done that yet. So stay the course and keep adding the 3tbs flour/2tbs water daily?

It took me about 10 days to get a starter that was actually rising and falling regularly. Feed it 2x a day if you can until then, and rye flour is the best for starting your starter if you have it.

My starter has been going for about a year now, and when it is on the counter I feed it 1 to 2 times a day, in these amounts:

100g water
50g whole wheat flour
50g AP flour
50g previous day's starter

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 26, 2020

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I don't have any Rye or Whole Wheat as they seem to be sold out entirely near me. That said, I just placed an order with the Walmart gods for some Rye so we shall see if it actually gets delivered...

Good luck! You can make it out of AP flour too, but rye gets going faster.

Once it is established, mine looks like this after doubling:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Murgos posted:

Ordered two pullman loaf pans with lids. Amazon says they won't arrive until April 23rd.

I'm kind of upset by this. Here I am stuck in my house jonesing for some sandwich bread and now I am going to have wait a WHOLE MONTH eating inferior home made baked goods or risking my life to go to the grocery store.

It seems like every single product on amazon has a delivery date of April 23 now, it’s nuts

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Jan posted:

I was under the impression that freezing yeast kills it, but I should probably have researched that before assuming it, especially considering how impossible it is to kill a starter culture. :downs:

I've been following Flour Water Salt Yeast's poolish-based breads a lot recently, even if my active yeast is going on a few months past best by date in the fridge, it's still been working well in pre-ferments. I've had some duds as well, but I'm not sure if that was botched shaping, proofing or something else. Maybe this thread will have insight, actually.

This is called fool's crumb (rude!), I had it when I started and have since gotten rid of it. I ended up adding some slap-and-fold at the beginning of my bulk ferment, as well as making sure I used my levain at the top of its rise (for me that's around 10 hours of rising) and it seemed to solve the problem.

EDIT: just noticed you are using yeast not levain, it is definitely a sign of underproofed dough

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Results of my efforts to Not Waste Discard. Verdict on the King Arthur sourdough waffles: better than waffle mix, but nowhere near The Food Lab.

Do you have a recipe for the Food Lab ones? I have been doing the KA waffles and really enjoying them, but if there is a better option I am all for it.

Here are my KA sourdough waffles:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

I’ve never been able to find the recipe online but I have it memorized so here you go. This is probably getting a little far afield from “bread” so LMK if this doesn’t belong here:

ingredients:

- 10oz (2 cups) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs. separated. Beat the egg whites until they have stiff peaks.
- 1.3 cups buttermilk
- 4tbsp butter, melted.
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup ice cold club soda

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks and vanilla. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix. Then add the buttermilk mixture and combine. Next stir in the club soda, gently. This should make a lumpy mixture, it doesn’t need to be totally combined. Lastly, gently fold in the egg whites.

I have the whole process down to about 10-15 minutes. You can pre-mix the dry ingredients and keep them on hand to expedite the whole process.

FWIW the book itself is phenomenal, and I highly recommend it.

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you had a different sourdough discard waffle recipe. This one sounds good, but I was looking for another discard recipe.

Thanks for the recipe though!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I love how busy this thread has been lately, love seeing all the bread, nice work everyone!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Lots of awesome bread here lately! Great work everyone!

I am continuing on the sourdough train, I have made over 80 loaves at this point and keep finding ways to tweak it. Some recent loaves:

Also, I tried a brioche that I really liked, it made the best french toast I have ever had. So insanely buttery, it's almost criminal how much butter is in it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Psst.

How much butter *did* you use?

Here, have the recipe:

75g whole milk
15g fresh yeast or 7g instant yeast
500g AP flour
12g salt
300g eggs
350g soft unsalted butter
30g caster sugar

Add the flour, salt and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with a dough hook.

Add in the milk, eggs and yeast, and knead on low for 5 minutes, then on medium for 10 minutes.

Slowly add in the butter, a piece at a time, occasionally scraping down the bowl

After adding all the butter, knead on medium for another 7-8 minutes, or until the dough is glossy and shiny.

Lift into an oiled bowl and proof for 2 hours.

Knock the dough down, shape into a rough ball again, then lightly oil the dough and refrigerate overnight, covered.

Split the cold dough into 65g balls

Place 8 balls per pan, then egg wash and proof for 1.5 hours.

Preheat oven to 390F/200C

Egg wash again, bake for 15 min at 390, then reduce heat to 365F and bake for another 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I bake a fair amount of bread, and since the kids usually leave the heels they often end up going stale before they are used. I found this recipe for a tomato-bread soup similar to something we had in Italy, and I really loved it. It’s super simple too. It uses tomatoes, onion, garlic, some hot pepper flakes and stale bread to make a thick stew, it’s perfect cold weather food.

I didn’t know if I would like it since soft bread can be a weird texture, but it really is it’s own thing and was very good. Pappa al Pomodoro, decent recipe HERE. Recommended for using up your old homemade loaf pieces!

And just some photos of last week's bread:

and turned into some avocado toast with basalmic tomatoes:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

I solve this issue by just eating the heels immediately when I go to slice a loaf and bag it for the freezer.

Also a good choice! But if you have some leftover bread, I recommend that pappa al pomodoro, I really loved it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

redreader posted:

Trader Joe's is the first babka I ever had, and the only one until I made the King Arthur pre-packaged babka mix thing, which was ok. It smelled very 'weirdly sweet', but tasted fine. Nowhere near as good as the TJ's one though.

I haven't had theirs yet but a bakery near us makes a great one. This one I did last year was decent, I should make another one soon to iron out the irregularities:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

beerinator posted:

I can't remember if I shared this already but I made some bread with a green soda that's available in my neck of the woods. I used a little bit of green food coloring because the color isn't as strong as you might think. Then I rolled it with an uncolored dough and made marbled "soda" bread.

It was for a silly St. Patrick's day sandwich I made. Here's the blog post I wrote about it on my sandwich blog. https://boundedbybuns.com/soda-pop-reuben/

This is a weird but fun idea, and a good read.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ankarsrum trip report, 3-ish weeks in.

* In the US, the Ankarsrum ships with a dough hook, because apparently Americans don't believe in making bread without one. ?

Actually curious - what would you use for kneading if not the hook? I can't imagine trying to knead with a paddle attachment

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The hook is for larger sized batches.

So for kneading smaller batches you use what? I wouldn't knead anything with a paddle, it would be a mess.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I've never had a dough hook tear the dough, but I guess there are lots of types of dough.

I'm glad you like your pestle and scraper combination though, thanks for answering.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Dacap posted:

Another new bake. Still getting the same aggressive torn ears. I did a longer proof than normal this time, 8 hrs bulk and a 24 hr fridge proof so I think I've ruled out the underproofing theory and I must be shaping too tight. Also my first time trying an unlined banneton to proof

This was laminated with 4 coil folds and then stitched in the banneton before the cold retard.

What are you using to score your bread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Good crumb on the bread today: