Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

You could get one of those enameled roasters. They're quite large.

Alternatively, I take an old jelly roll pan that I don't care about (e.g. warping) and let it preheat in the oven. Then I toss some ice cubes or some sprays of water onto it when I put the bread in. Works pretty well, though I only bother when I really am going all out for "artisan" bread. Just the small oven itself and the offgassing of water vapor from the dough is generally sufficient.

Yeah, I get perfectly fine results out of a smallish oven, a thick pizza stone, and a little old cast-iron spoon rest I can toss some water in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

Iron Lung posted:

Alright, this is week 3. I'm about halfway through the process, these stupid little boules are doing their final rise right now. Besides shaping them like absolute trash this week, I thought things were going better. For those who have followed the tartine recipe or similar, is this about the size your boules turn out when you split the dough, after the initial shape? They just seem so small. This is 1000g of flour. The bulk ferment went well, I thought the dough was rising really well but they just seem small. If history repeats itself, scoring them will also be a total bitch, they don't seem to cut well like I've seen online or on instagram (drat bread celebs) even with incredibly sharp razor blades. An hour into their rise and they seem to be doing better than the last batch.

I tend to have better luck scoring with a bread knife rather than a razor, but YMMV.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Hey I have a question about those "best used by dates " for active dry yeast.

I have a few jars of yeast in the freezer, 2015-Mar and 2016-May and Jun. Are the yeast long completely dead or can I save a few dollars and still make bread with them?

edit : oh yeah the proofing test, I'll get right on that.

If it proofs, you're fine, but two years is a bit of a stretch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

May have to give that a try at some point, but I don't think anything can shake my love for challah french toast.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

same

today I am a challahback girl

Tomorrow you better be making french toast then. Stale challah is the bee's knees.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

Team_q posted:

Just found out about this thread, I've never made bread before, I've been watching a pile of 18th century cooking and decided to give a rustic bread a try!

It was good!

That's a really nice crumb for a first loaf!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

We had a challenge a few years back to bake A Bread without a recipe, or measuring. Pretty much everyone managed to make A Bread.

Mastering bread is a long and experimental process, but getting a good enough loaf is pretty easy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

I find kneading to be zen-like, so I don't bother with the breadmaker.

Nothing I've found in this world makes me more content than the smell of fresh bread, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

I adore how easy it is to make A Bread.

1T yeast, 1T kosher salt, 1lb warm water, 1lb flour. Hit it with the dough hook in the stand mixer until fully moist. Threw a flour sack over it and am letting it rise a couple hours while doing other things.

I'll divide and shape it after that, ~20m to proof up, and an hour or so later I'll have bread for the work week.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for easy dinner rolls?

I do challah for soft dinner rolls.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

You can do all-rye sourdough too, but you need a ~12 hour ferment after the dough is shaped and it still doesn't rise much.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

Decided that today is a rye day, but was out of malt syrup. Found some powder, though.

Hence, light rye with caraway, onion, and garlic is rising.

Edit:

Probably could have let it rise longer, but I like dense crumb in my rye.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at May 13, 2019 around 21:23

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

He also did a 15th Anniversary update of TBBA a couple years back with some updates and a couple new recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

Speaking of scales, mine is on its last legs. Anyone have a recommendation?