Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I'm looking for advice on a fresh to dry yeast conversion. I am following the recipe for pizza dough in the fancy new Gjelina book.

To make three 185g dough balls (555g total) it calls for "3g baker's compressed fresh yeast". Various online sources say the fresh to dry conversion ratio is somewhere between 2:1 to 4:1. I'm not so much worried about the ambiguity as much as how tiny an amount of dry yeast this appears to be!

The most generous conversion would be 1.5g dry yeast which is less than a quarter of a dry yeast packet... surely this is too little? Most pizza dough recipes I've followed call for an entire packet. Hopefully it is obvious by now that I do not know the science of baking so if I'm missing the point and this conversion is fine please do let me know!

I'm already rolling my eyes at the hilarious specificity of the recipe. It calls for a measured mix of two types of flour to be shaped into a specific pile used on the surface when you are finally forming the dough into discs. One is also supposed to do the entire thing at 80 degrees.... let me just crank the heat up 12 degrees guys no problem. I'm shocked the actual baking doesn't call for a wood fired oven. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am trying to make my first loaf; it is from the Larousse Book of Bread. The boule recipe calls for 500g flour and 350g water which makes it 70% hydration? There is also 100g of liquid starter, 2g yeast, and 10g salt. I've started this so many times now I have the recipe memorized and have used almost all of the 4 cups of liquid started I made :p.

Anyway, when I mix it all together in the stand mixer for the allotted time with every ingredient at the specified temperature, it always ends up (imho) way too wet. I pull the dough hook out and the contents pool at the bottom of the bowl. It doesn't produce a lump a dough, more of a very sticky/stretchy batter.

I tried once with 600g flour and another with less water (330g) and while both started out forming more of a lump, by the time the mix was done they were back to creating a more liquid-like pool in the bowl.

From what I gather, this may mean there was too much water (duh), the water was too hot, or it wasn't mixed long enough. I've tried varying all of these things to some degree but always end up with much the same results.

I did once take it all the way to baking and I was surprised by how well the blob held its shape when baked as I expected it to flatten out before I even got it in the oven. The bread looked terrible but tasted great; the crust was amazing. So, maybe the dough really is supposed to be this wet? But it definitely doesn't look like the book's pictures (does it ever?!) and it is a joke trying to shape it or even score it. It can't be right.

Should I drop the amount of water even more? Use even colder water? Do something completely different?

Also, the book suggests 4 minutes mixing at "low" speed and then 6 minutes mixing at "high" speed. I've been using speed 2 for low and speed 6 for high. Does this seem reasonable? I note the Kitchenaid dough hook has a sticker on it saying to only ever use it at speed 2? Am I going to break the mixer?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

PatMarshall posted:

Hmm, assuming the starter is 100% hydration, that should work out to around 73% hydration, which is a wetter dough, but you should still be able to form a good boule. Try developing more gluten by working in a few stretch and folds during the bulk rise (after mixing and before shaping and proving). Could also be the flour you are using, do you know the approximate strength of your flour? Try using a higher protein brand and see if it performs better.

Good luck!

I had been using King Arthur plain flour but realized that the attempts I made yesterday were all accidentally done with their bread flour. Trying again right now with the plain flour.

When you say stretch and fold during the first rise, do you mean immediately before or after, or just at some point in the middle?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

The Goatfather posted:

An oven that gets 50 degrees hotter than it's supposed to is a good thing if you ever make pizza, as long as you remember not to burn everything else

Don't ovens go over the set temp by some amount, turn off, and then click back on when the temp has gone below the set temp by some amount? Repeat. So in average you have the set temp, but at any given moment you are always going to be a bit over it under. I wonder if 50° is really that far out of whack....

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Quick dumb question please.

I make a simple pizza dough recipe that is supposed to be left to rise for ~2 hours. If I want to make it farther in advance (like 8 hours?) do I just put it in the fridge after the normal 2 hours and take it out when I am ready to use it?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

before, it'll rise as the dough cools and warms when you take it back out. Stretching is easier at room temp.

? I'm really dumb. You mean I should put it in the fridge immediately upon making the dough and then take it out ~2 hours before using it?

woah

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
It all sounds crazy but I'm doing it!!!

I still covered it with a damp cloth when I put it in the fridge... no idea if that still matters...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

airtight seal would be best but likely won't matter for six hours, damp was good.

fyi i made the dough and it was pretty good. thank you

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
pizza dough question.

When I make dough the taste and cooked texture is pretty good but two problems are that it is too airy and way too stretchy.

By too airy I mean that no matter how much I knock it down and press outwards while stretching it out, the crust always puffs up too much. Big bubbles that push any cheese or toppings to the center while baking.

By too stretchy I mean that when trying to stretch the dough out to a pizza shape it is really hard to get it to a point where it doesn't contract back to a tiny disc. It's way more work than it should be.

I am sure these are telltale signs that I have overdone or underdone some earlier step but I don't know what...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Dock your dough for the real large bubbles. You can use your fingers

Make a drink or something mid shaping so the gluten can relax

Most of the dough I've made before has never been quite this stretchy, or rather, quite so eager to shrink back. I do press it all out to the edges with the points of my fingers quite aggressively and have taken to leaning on the edges with the palms of my hands to really push out any air.

Happiness Commando posted:

Tom Lehmann says that garlic has an enzyme that helps dough relax more. I use about 0.2 percent granulated garlic in my NY style dough and it works.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=24608.0

Your dough might also be too dry or not have enough fat in it. Post your recipe.

I don't think I have any garlic but I'll look.

The recipe is something like:

~2 and 3/4 cups of flour (right now it is https://www.marialunarillos.com/harina-especial-pizzas-fermentacion-24-horas-1-kg.html)
1 tablespoon of malt (https://www.marialunarillos.com/malta-enzimatica-diastasica-500-gr-el-amasadero.html)
1 tablespoon of salt (maybe a little less)
Half a 25g block of yeast in a cup of warm water (but I never end up using it all)
Dribble of olive oil

I make the dough in a food processor. I let it go for about a minute and the dough becomes nice and smooth. Maybe this is too long?

Then I let it rise on the counter for ~20-30 minutes, cut it in half, and stick the balls in the fridge until I am ready to use it. Typically it sits overnight until the next evening.

I bake the pizza on a stone in a long preheated oven at full blast top and bottom (no fan, sadly). It's never hot enough.

I'll take a pic the next time I make it. It's embarrassing how puffy it is :(.