Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
I made some bagels using the recipe from bread bakers apprentice, the dough was a bit of a pain to work with, but I think the results turned out pretty solid.

If there are any left in the breakroom I'll snag a pic of the insides. Next time I'm gonna need to figure out some toppings before I get going on this, since all I had was sea salt/sesame seed or parmigian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

contrapants posted:

How did you form the hole in the middle? When I make bagels, I either get a visible seam or break if I do the end-to-end method, or the center explodes if I poke a whole through a dough ball.

Here's the description from the book,

quote:

Method 1: Poke a hole in a ball of bagel dough and gently rotate your thumb around the inside of the hole to widen it to approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter (half of this for a mini-bagel). The dough should be as evenly stretched as possible (try to avoid thick and thin spots.)

Method 2: Roll out the dough into an 8-inch long rope. (This may require rolling part of the way and resting if the pieces are too elastic and snap back, in which case, allow them to rest for 3 minutes and then extend them again to bring to full length. Wrap the dough around the palm and back of your hand, between the thumb and forefinger, overlapping the ends by several inches. Press the overlapping ends on the counter with the palm of your hand, rocking back and forth to seal.

Method 2 didn't work out on the one I tried it on, it ended up breaking, but poking a hole then stretching it out seemed to work reasonably well.

Edit:There's a pic on here that's pretty much what I did http://pinchmysalt.com/peter-reinharts-bagels/

amishjosh fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 24, 2013

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
In my quest to bake whatever sounds amusing I've attempted the pretzel recipe from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day. I didn't quite get the brown I wanted on them, although the seeded ones were definitely darker. I'll play with it a bit more next time and see what I get.

At some point I need to see if the lye we have down at our lab would work for this, and also if they'll let me snag a bit for playing in the kitchen.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Thumposaurus posted:

Random stuff from work last night

Bagels

Sourdough English muffins

Croissants

Holy poo poo that looks good.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

ChetReckless posted:

Seeing those pictures makes me want to try to make bagels for the first time. I was planning on using Peter Reinhart's recipe from Bread Baker's Apprentice. Anyone have any advice for a first timer?

I try to avoid buying bagels because I want to eat healthier breakfasts but there really isn't anything quite like a good, chewy bagel. Maybe I can justify them everyone once in a while if I at least put the effort in to making them myself.

I made them for the first time a month or so ago using the recipe from Bread Bakers Apprentice. Initially working all the flour into the dough was a bit of a pain, but once it got incorporated it was reasonably easy to work with. Honey got added since I didn't have any of the malt syrup or whatever it was that it had in the recipe. I did mine with the 1minute/flip/1minute in the boiling water with baking soda, and I think next time I do it I'm gonna go ahead and do it for 2 minutes a side and get it chewier.

Oh, and I did the thumb punch through the dough to form the hole, the one I tried to roll and form the bagel didn't really turn out bagel shaped(but it still tasted good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
You could always try a salt rising bread