Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

mich posted:

Yes. The big advantages of baking in a Dutch oven are that the cast iron holds heat well and when you bake it with the lid on you trap steam which keeps the crust from setting too early for your bread to expand. That holds true for any bread you are baking, regardless of the mixing method.

I just started using the dutch oven and I love love love the loaves it turns out.

I'll try this question here, since the one time I asked in the homebrew thread I got essentially no help: I hear that lots of homebrewers throw some of their spent grain into bread, but the way I grind my malt is way too coarse. When I tried tossing some spent malt into a loaf it was not pleasant due to the barley husks being ~70% intact, which meant that the loaf was full of hard, sharp, scratchy bits.

So on the weekend, I skimmed some spent barley before I tossed the rest out, and then dried it out to try and mill it down. Wasn't really successful as without the meat of the grain inside the husk, the husks just collapse down and run through the mill without being broken. What can I do to make the barley work in bread? Does anybody else use spent grain in bread? How is yours different from mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU