Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Xarb posted:

How do you all store your bread?

I'm never sure weather to put it in a container, plastic bag or get a bread bin.

In my stomach, there's a reason bakeries get rid of their day old bread. :colbert:

But yeah the quote is spot on in my experience. Storing bread in plastic lets the moisture redistribute and leaves it soft, storing it in paper or some other breathable container maintains a crusty crust but the bread will dry out faster. Either way, its just not the same after 12 hours so if possible I just try to bake exactly as much as I need and not have any left for saving, or use it for toast/croutons/ect where it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

When letting my dough rise I find that the flour under it starts to get absorbed and the dough starts to stick to whatever its on. I'm already using too much flour under it to compensate. Is my dough too wet? Its tacky, but doesn't stick to my hands when I'm handling it. I'm reluctant to make it dryer since I feel like it would be harder to work with.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 9, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

This seems to be a purely cosmetic problem, but I can't get pretty scoring on my bread. I'm making them about half an inch deep, but it expands so much in the oven they get pretty much erased.

This one was in a square pattern and its pretty much completely gone:

This ones a little better (Same dough).

I'm wondering if its a result of the higher temperature (475F) I'm cooking at or if i'm not scoring deep enough or what.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

I did all 3 of those. :smith: