Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Any tips for scoring dough?

I've gone from no bread making experience to at least a dozen during the pandemic, including at least two competent sourdoughs. But the best "scoring" I've done was an accident where I dropped the dough into my dutch oven and it hit the side, cracking the surface at the top and making for a fairly decent-looking loaf in the end.

But for the most part, when I try to cut it with a very sharp knife, the dough drags on the blade, even when lubed with oil or water. One time I think I overproofed and my scoring attempt just deflated half of it. Should I be refrigerating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

Ugh. I wanted bread, not Caverns of Moria.

This was Overnight Country Blonde from FWSY. My kitchen was ~78 - 80 F yesterday. I let this bulk for for 5 hours with 4 stretch and folds, then retard in the fridge for 15 hours overnight and into preheated dutch oven at 475F this morning. It looked nice with some large bubbles at the end of bulk. I didn't really see any volume increase, but I thought the gluten was well developed as there was some resistance during the last set of stretch and folds. I also did a quick preshape without a bench rest as I didn't want it to over ferment.

Was the 5 hours of bulk to long? I can't image the cold ferment was the issue. Could I have folded too much air into during shaping?

The density combined with the big holes makes me think underproofed, but that doesn't seem likely with your bulk fermentation time.

Meanwhile, I am a coward and tossed in some commercial yeast during bulk ferment on my sourdough yesterday, but it turned out great so I can't really complain.

I did have some trouble with sticking to a new banneton. Any tips for those without rice flour handy to prevent sticking?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Time posted:

Shaping 2 - actually not doing enough to provide structure to your shaped loaf. It’s a tightrope to walk with some of these.

https://youtu.be/vEG1BjWroT0

This is a good video for handling the dough correctly to get the shape and texture you want out of your boule/batard. If you feel like you have these steps down, it’s a fermentation issue most likely

I never get it to move like this when I move dough around with my bench knife. It doesn't roll over like that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

dedian posted:

Too much flour on the counter?

Clean counter!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Another day another Dutch oven sourdough loaf.

What do you guys do to minimize scorching on the bottom? This one should have been out a few min earlier (still dialing in the temp on my poo poo apt stove) but this is a constant even on lower temps.

What temperature are you at?

I've stopped preheating my dutch oven and I usually line it with parchment paper when I drop in my dough, which seems to help. That's usually just to prevent the bottom being super thick and hard. Never seen a scorch like that.

You could also put a cookie sheet between the heating element and your dutch oven.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Not pro level aeration or anything, but pretty pleased with the oven spring this morning. I probably should have fed my starter Bosco a day or two more out of the fridge because the sour flavor is a bit muted. Not going to complain though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Also on the sandwich bread train as I try to use all the sourdough discard I've accumulated in a plastic tub. I didn't get much oven spring either, but based on past experience, I'm just glad the bread is moist and doesn't feel like it'll break when I pick a slice up wrong.

I've gone through so much flour in the last three months...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

First dutch oven loaf:

This is a million times better than what I was getting out of the bread machine and not that much more work. Also cups and spoons can go to hell; measuring by weight is where it's at.

By the way: Is there a name for this style of fat, round loaf? I've seen it referred to as "artisan" or "rustic" bread, but there might be a more proper term.

It's a boule.

My store-bought starter is named Jan Levaineson Boule for this reason. The homemade one is just Bosco.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think my current issue is avoiding deflating the dough too much after the bulk. When I do the final round of folds she recommends it always feels like I kill the dough too much getting it out of the bowl and into my cast iron. (I don’t have a banneton so I just let it hang out in the cast iron in the fridge for a day)

You do lose some volume going from basket or bowl to counter to cast iron. But as long as you're retaining bubbles on those final folds, you're probably fine.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Honestly, I've still got two things I'm trying to improve on:
* The bagels are still really fluffy, closer to a loaf of bread vs. the chewiness of a bagel. I'm already using 100% bread flour, and I'm kneading the dough for 10 minutes or so, so I probably need to increase how long I'm kneading things. The crust on it is pretty spot on now that I've increased how long I boil them for before baking to about 2 min per side, as well as adding a bit of baking soda to the water before boiling (I'd use lye but can't quite get my hands on any).
* I'm still not able to get shaping right, in that the hole in the middle of the bagels almost always comes close to closing. Do I need to finger the holes more? Or is that an issue that'd go away with more kneading?

Having grown up in Bagel Country, I can say fairly confidently that the best ones usually have a tight hole... OK now you're making me do it. (But seriously, at real bagel places there is not a pronounced hole at all.)

Going for my first all bread flour sour dough today. The recipe I've used calls for 90g of wheat flour, which I think has knocked down the hydration of my dough and made it easier to handle. I've also consistently cheated by sprinkling a bit of instant yeast when folding in my starter, which I am going to skip today. No more easy mode!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

hosed again by dough sticking to the banneton liner. I am so pissed.

I'm getting some rice flour, but are there any addition measures I can take to prevent half a day's work being ruined by a poo poo piece of linen? I've been covering the banneton with a tea towel and wrapping in a plastic bag when I retard in the fridge, but I feel like there winds up being counterproductive amount of moisture in there when I pull it out.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

OK, so in spite of my whiny bitch post earlier (and the fact that the dough looked like it had lost its shape) I still got some pretty good oven spring. And the crumb is better than anything I've made to date, so... who knows.

I have since acquired some rice flour though and will get to work fingering my banneton.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dacap posted:

I cut down the bulk time she indicates because my kitchen is typically around 75+ in the daytime, usually to 5.5 hours before putting it in the fridge overnight. The first loaf I did following her recipe exactly overproofed and ended up flatter.

I also tried sticking two small ice cubes along the side of the parchment to try and create steam in my Dutch oven.

Dang that's a lot of bulk ferment! Does that include time you're stretching and folding?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

therattle posted:

1) What can I do to minimise discard? (Alternatively, how much discard do the sourdough crackers posted here use up?)

Sourdough crackers use like a cup of discard. I've also used my discard to make pancakes, non-sour loaf and sandwich bread.

Most important thing though is to not feed it overly much on maintenance feedings until a couple days before your sourdough bake.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

I'm trying to get on the breadwagon but my starter just will not rise no matter what. It blooms on the second and third day, but after that it's just :geno: no matter how I feed it.

I started the present batch more than a week ago. The flour is Gold Medal All-Purpose. (King Arthur was out of stock.) At present I'm feeding it daily using 1 part (about 2 Tbsp) existing starter, 1 part flour, a bit less than 1 part water by volume. The consistency is smooth and plastic, not liquid. The container is a tall drinking glass covered with a paper towel and an inverted measuring cup. I leave it on the counter.

Since I started covering it this way I've noticed a stronger alcohol odor, but if I don't cover it securely fruit flies will get in.

I've tried feeding it twice a day, setting it in the sun, adding a bit of sugar. All I get are some bubbles on the surface. I feel cursed.

e: I tried a float test. It doesn't float.

Just be patient with it. My first homemade starter took like 10 days before it got proper rise (and it also gave me false hope around day 2-3). I was similarly impatient and wound up buying a bakery starter, but my OG one actually turned into the more consistent, funky product.

Sounds like you may also be using a bit too much water (if you continue on this journey you will need a scale for proper measurement). Two feedings a day wouldn't hurt necessarily either, though I might wait until there's more activity.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

you ate my cat posted:

I had a very similar issue with mine, and let it go several weeks of being just a smelly turd in a jar but didn't get any change. As an experiment, I switched from tap water to bottled and it picked up immediately. My tap water has a smell to it, but I didn't think it was bad enough to impede yeast growth.

If you don't get any improvement in another week of regular feeding, maybe try that?

This is a good point. I switched to bottled mineral water because my local tap water has chloramine in it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dacap posted:

Really happy with my loaf from this morning

looks great! nice ear

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

First time using the banneton naked with just a shitload of rice flour. Success! It overproofed a bit I think since the oven spring was just OK, but crumb is airy and glossy af.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dacap posted:

Sticking concerns aside, is there actually a benefit in any way to not using the liner in the banneton?

It's mostly for the pretty lines.

I was having moisture issues too. Had been using a liner, covered with a tea towel and sealed in a plastic bag. Water would saturated the towel and the liner, which seemed to make it stickier and it would always get stuck in the seams.

The last time I used no liner and just covered the very top with some press and seal plastic stuff. Top of the dough was moist, but it seemed like it benefited some from the dough being able to breath through the banneton. Likely it was 90% the rice flour and ditching the plastic bag that changed things for the better though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Murgos posted:

I’m following the King Arthur method. Reserve 113g starter, discard remainder, add 113g water and 113g ap flour. Do this in the morning and again before bed. Starter jar is on the counter and the house is set at 76.

The sour smell it gives off is very pungent and not at all beery. I was expecting more stale beer and less wet dog.

I'd just keep going. Maybe pare down the quantities so you're not using up so much flour.

Have you been pouring off the hooch? If you mix it in, it can make things more pungent and potentially inhibit your rise. I doubt that's happening with such a young starter though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

What's the next step after I dial in my regular sourdough? I've tried rosemary/garlic before but the garlic inhibited my rise. Any other good flavor combos

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just made my first pizza crust from sourdough discard. This is going to be be very fruitful in the future...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m awaiting a friend’s verdict on his black peppercorn and Parmesan sourdough loaf, but the ingredient mix sounds promising.

Thank you for suggesting this. Had like 3 oz of shredded Parmesan sitting around and just added it and some black pepper to my usual sourdough recipe and it came out really nice.

Might be inspiration to try and tackle a jalapeno cheddar loaf again. I tried a no knead version in the past and it came out a little flat, but I think my sourdough could give it some volume.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

After bulk ferment, I did a pre-shape on my dough on the counter and... promptly forgot about it for two hours.

Now retarding in the fridge, but on an experimental adventure in overproofing. I do kind of wonder whether it would be better to just pop in the oven now or if the overnight chill just gives it more chance to overproof.

e: I just went ahead and baked it and it turned out fine.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 29, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

6) The inside of the bread has an odd shiny/plastic-y/eggy texture that's very unpleasant.

That's actually desirable in a high hydration dough, in my understanding. Starch gelatinization or some such.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much every time my bread comes out dense as gently caress it's because I over proofed it.

Also if you're doing the dutch oven thing, trying putting that into the (big) oven cold. As in the oven you're putting it in hasnt' come up to temp yet. Tack on a few extra minutes to your cook time. I've gotten some great oven spring that way. I want to say I was cooking my dutch oven sourdough for 50 minutes at 500 and then changed to 70 at cold rising to 500.

I may try this out today for shits and giggles.

My sourdough has had good, but not great, spring using a preheated dutch oven at 450 — 25 minutes covered and ~20 minutes to brown it. Let's see if I can get more spring going in cold.

I want to experiment with cutting out the overnight phase in the fridge too, since it worked out fine for me last time, but only one variable at a time I guess.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Anyone have a recipe they'd recommend for good Cuban bread?

Still haven't found lard yet at my whitey grocery stores, but I'm on the hunt.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Maybe my best sourdough ever! Really starting to get a feel for how to manage hydration levels. Knocked down the water content because it's been swampy and humid and I think that was what helped the dough keep its shape and get that awesome oven spring. Also now on-board Team Cold Cast Iron.

I also underestimated how much better a proper lame would be for scoring. Looking forward to playing with that more moving forward.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

What was your hydration level there? I've been having issues with flatter breads recently and I'm trying to figure out wtf. Think I might need to tweak my hydration.

Somewhere between 70-80%. My usual recipe is 80%, but I cut out 100g of water from the initial weigh-in and then eyeballed how much more I needed until it looked right.

What may have been throwing me previously is the recipe calls for 350g bread flour and 90g wheat flour, but I've been swapping all-purpose for the wheat and that's a good deal less thirsty.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I wait two hour generally. I guess if you're making smaller loaves they'd cool faster?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

The King Arthur sourdough discard pancakes are incredibly good. I’m getting to the point where I’m feeding my starter just to build a batch of discard for crackers/pancakes/etc.

I've been making good use of their pizza dough recipe. Still have way too much discard for my taste though... maybe Saturday will have to be a pancakes day.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

Just keep feeding it it'll be OK

Pretty much this. It's pretty common to get a false rise in the early going with a starter. Those aren't the yeast you want anyway.

Keep going with the rye. Use filtered or bottled water if you have it. You should be good before you hit the 10-day mark. But maybe not! Starters can be finnicky. If it looks too thin, just use a little more flour.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I made some pitas with sourdough discard but I used so much olive oil they basically became naan.

I'm not mad.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Their sourdough crackers are great for using up discard too.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-crackers-recipe

I make 'em with everything bagel seasoning on top.

Make sure to get them thin! Mine came out chewy last time.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Any tips for rolling out the sourdough crackers? Taking my second shot at them with feta and jalapeno.

They are delicious, but I have to watch the pan like a hawk because they cook so unevenly. Recipe called for a 10-15 minute bake and I'm like 25 minutes in with batch one, rescuing individual crackers as they hit the sweet spot.

I'm thinking maybe adding more water next time (or just more starter and no extra flour) so the dough is basically spreadable.

Kalsco posted:

loving hell, that's exactly the problem I've been having all of a sudden and oh hey would you look at that, my starter was switched over to using rye around the same time. :negative:

How long have you all been autolyzing for? At room temp I've tried one one-half and two hours with half hour stretch and folds. The gluten seems to develop just fine in the first hour but always fails me when it hits the board half an hour later. Getting it out too late? Too early? Getting it out at an hour seems premature and past 2 makes me think it'll just levain itself.

I autolyse for two hours before even introducing the starter. Then starter. Then salt. Then stretch and folds for 2-3 hours then a 2-hour bulk ferment.

It can still flatten on you even with a good shaping. Maybe knock down the hydration a bit?

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 7, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Murgos posted:

I have a rolling pin that has spacers you can fit to the sides. I just put the 16th of an inch ones on and go to town.

That said, I score the dough with lines with a knife but don't break it into individual crackers until after it's baked. While they are still warm I cut through the last bit with a very sharp knife for a nice clean edge. The outer edges are more done but eh, a little variety in flavor isn't a bad thing and most of it is pretty even.

Fresh thyme and sage from the garden, dried in the oven for a few minutes before mixing into the dough, with a sprinkle of malden sea salt is my favorite so far.

Interesting, I'll look into one of those.

My edge crackers turn out great, but the middle are either slightly underdone and chewy or a bit over and too crunchy. I think they just need to be thinner.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I made these scones this morning and they were absolute fire emoji. Only actually baked half of them, but I think the ones coming out of the freezer will be even better since the butter won't have time to melt off.

After baking bread all summer, it almost feels like cheating to bake a thing with so much butter, sugar and heavy cream.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Also playing with tension this week. Normally I do about six stretch and folds with my sourdough, then do a bench preshape, then shape again, usually folding and then rolling it up and pinching the seam before dropping in the banneton.

I wondered if the shaping wasn't costing me some volume, so this time I just dumped it from the bowl into the banneton after bulk fermentation with no shaping at all. It was definitely much beefier coming out of the fridge this morning and baked into a more sizable loaf than I've gotten lately, both in height and girth.

Think I may stick with this method.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I mean... it is literally booze that the yeast is producing, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

therattle posted:

I’m consistently under-proofing before baking. I’m obviously doing the finger poke test wrongly. Any other ways if knowing when it’s good to bake?

Just wait until it gets bigger than last time? I can tell how well proved dough is just based on how high it sits in my banneton, because I know where my best bread usually reaches.

There's a certain light springiness that comes with a good proof, but that's another "you know it when you see it" unhelpful kind of test.