Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've recently begun baking bread. After a handful of experiments gone more or less awry, I nailed it yesterday:

400g Manitoba ("Sifted"? Whatever the opposite of whole grain is.)
400g Öland Wheat (organic and whole grain.)
7g yeast
700-ish mL cold water
20g salt

Mix water and yeast until dissolved.
Add flours and salt.
Knead with hand mixer for 15 minutes (Don't have a stand mixer. Yet.)
Pre-rise for an hour or so.
Leave covered in fridge for ~24 hours.
Divide in two as gently as possible.
Rise for 1-2 hours while oven heats to 250°C with bigass slab of 30mm marble countertop inside.
Bake each bread separately for 25 minutes. Let oven regain some heat in between, 5-10 minutes.

I'm going to tweak the recipe slightly - replacing 100 mL of water with yoghurt as a lazy man's sourdough and knead it for 25 minutes I think, and see where that takes me.

Munched one bread in a day and gave the other to my neighbors. Cheapest points ever, they loved it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Looks great, cool choice of flours, too. If you go the yogurt route, make sure it's unpasteurized, otherwise you're not actually accomplishing anything.

Hmmm, interesting. I *think* the yoghurt we get around here is made from pasteurized milk,which is then yoghurtified with the correct strain, so for our purpose it should be OK, but I'll check the label when I get home.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

therattle posted:

Looks great. You used a very high hydration. If the dough was very sticky and hard to work with you could try less, like 500-560g water to 800g flour.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. The flour in question can sustain super high hydration though. I have been told that pure Öland can be done with 100% hydration. Have to try that one day when I have some.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Yeah, whether or not the milk is pasteurized is a non issue, just make sure the yogurt is alive and well.

I'm pretty sure it is, as the container claims it'll do your entire digestive system a whole lot of wholesome good. Also it only has a shelf life of a few weeks.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hello BreadThread, why does my bread create these cavities right under the crust, and hardly anywhere else?

Baked at 250°C for 25 minutes. It was a rather hydrated dough (80%+) and I just plopped it out on a sheet of parchment paper, so it was rather flat.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Forgot to mention, I bake on a slab of 30mm marble that's been pretty well heated.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
This thread needs a shot of yeast up its rear end. Rise! RIIIIIIIIISE!!!

Just got some sourdough from some friends. Their obsessions with cooking never stops to amaze me. "Would you like rye or wheat sourdough"? Then they showed off their flour grinder.

What's the recommended procedure for a sourdough virgin? Sourdough + yeast? It's for a wheat bread.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's the ratio of preferment to dough?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just got myself a rising basket, and tried it last night. Tip #1: dust the everliving crap out of it or your dough will stick.

It made a very nice pattern on the bread, but didn't really achieve much in my life-long quest to get very hydrated doughs to not turn into very flat breads. Tips?

E: I also have a dough rising which contains no water - just the ~850g of slightly expired low fat yoghurt I had sitting around. I have no idea if it's going to be a disaster or not. Will report back.

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 13, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Interesting. So, pure sourdough, no yeast? Care to post your most successful recipe?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So I semi-accidentally made an almost 100% hydration pure spelt bread (no whole grain.). Turned out well, if slightly under baked. Good taste, could've used a more crunchy crust, but for sure edible.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone has a lead on silicone bread "tins" that can withstand more than 230C (250+ preferably) without giving off 27-syllable compounds that'll make my sperm cells glow bright green and only swim in useless circles?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
When exploring the very edge of hydration levels, type of flour makes a difference, it turns out.

Threw caution to the wind and made a 100% hydration dough with some good quality but nonetheless run-of-the-mill wheat flour and the results were :mediocre:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Well, less water.

There seems to be a point where the dough goes from a very, very soft chewing gum like consistency to outright porridge. I kneaded it for a long time, before I've been amazed by what long knead times can do, but here there was no improvement.
The result was a denser bread than usual with a sticky crumb that left goo all over the bread knife. I even tried upping the bake time quite a bit, but still goo.
So now I'm back to my beloved Øland wheat which is amazing!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Made sourdough pizzas, mainly because I was lazy and didn't want to go to the store for yeast. Dough, for some reason, became way too wet, but I got some bubbles going:

Needs more work for sure, but fun to try.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I use organic flour from a little farm close to where I grew up. They make a point of always having freshly ground flour in the pipeline, and there's a "ground on" date on all their products.

I can easily tell a difference between that and normal supermarket flour. Yes, it's three times the price, but I can still make a batch of dough for four bucks which will make pizzas and bread for two people for a weekend. The good organic stuff gives a completely different crumb, smell and taste. Also, it can be hydrated much more and still become delicious elastic dough.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just got a baking steel! Hyped to try it out. It's basically a pizza stone made of iron.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
7g yeast.
14g salt.
100g sourdough.
700g water.
100g organic Øland wheat, whole grain.
700g organic Øland wheat, sifted.

Kneaded on the KitchenAid for, let's say 15 minutes. Cold rised in the fridge for 60-ish hours. Dusted with whole grain durum. Baked at 250C on my new baking steel for 15 minutes.

To be perfectly honest, I think it should've baked a little shorter. I made some the day before that were softer, and somehow more moist. But this one was by far the most photogenic. :)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
:ohdear: that looks like a house fire waiting to happen. It's a nice tray, but placing flammable stuff on the stove is a really bad habit IMHO.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Aaaah, that makes sense. Carry on then. :)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Mr. Wookums posted:

Does anyone mill/sift their own flour?

My crazy foodie friends do.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Sweet Gods of Wheat that looks good! Cough up the details!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Unless you demand a dough that rises right now, you can basically make bread with any amount of yeast in any condition. Don't stress it, just let it rise longer and warmer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, three days seem to be the limit, although our resident Happy Hat says five. I usually go ~1% yeast and cold rise for 1-3 days. Often I bake part of the dough the first day, part the next etc.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can any of your fine flour artisans tell me whether it's possible to get a dishwasher safe (preferably stainless steel) dough hook for a KitchenAid Artisan? The current one's paint has started flaking.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^Very nice!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey breadthread. Did my usual bread on Sunday. Yeast was organic, smelled a bit sour, like vinegar, but in it went. Now, after almost 48 hours in the fridge, the dough has not really risen. What's up? Can I save it?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

take it out of the fridge

It's out of the fridge since this morning, but I doubt anything will happen. Dud pack of yeast, I'd say. I think I'll just throw it, although I'm 98% sure one could knead in some proper yeast and get things going.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Are there any resources on reducing salt content of bread? I was given a sourdough class, which I participated in, and I've been running with that recipe for a while, but it calls for 30g salt for 1000g flour.

Seeing as I generally end up munching most of that myself over the course of a weekend, I'm getting a bit concerned.

This weekend I've tried to go down to half that, to see if things still taste and perform acceptably.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just had something weird happen that I’d love opinions on.

Made my usual sourdough dough. Split it in three, intending to make pizza with the last third. That was three days ago.

It’s been sitting in the fridge ever since, in an airtight container.

When I went to use it just now, it had lost all elasticity, and I ended up discarding it. It was almost like a porridge. Smelled fine, like yoghurt.

Edit: the other two batches were baked after one and two nights in the fridge, and were fine.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

"Artisinal" is probably the best way to describe what I do.

Was perfectly timed though, still warm and super crunchy crust. Had it with broccoli soup, and ate myself silly.

What I really, really enjoy about sourdough bread is that it stays good for so much longer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm trying, but I think my dough is a bit on the wet side/gluten not properly developed because all that does is make it splat out more, and then it just breaks somewhere else half the time anyway.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I feel a lot of that are remnants of a time where accurate scales weren’t common place. These days when you can get a +/- 1g scale for :20bux: delivered everything should be in grams.

I’m looking at you, cocktail recipes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Slightly less artisinal now, please pay no attention to the rogue ear.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Which is why things like biscuits and scones and brioches have fat in them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I may or may not just have spent a grand on a stand mixer...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

Hobart? Even the Ankarsrum is only $700

Varimixer Teddy. I'm not sure how well known they are in the US. It's basically a prosumer/small batch version of a pro stand mixer.

And it loving rocks. :getin:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's the happiest totally-not-a-monopoly-it's-all-for-your-safety plug standard!

(It's a pain in the dick as all appliances come with schuko and then I need a ugly rear end adapter or to change the plug.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

:aaaaa:

Be still, my restless credit card.

Let me know if you need any more enablinginformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I want to mail a starter to someone do I need to put ice packs in the package or anything? It’d be going from east to west coast. I’m also assuming I shouldn’t feed it the day I put it in the box since it’ll be in an airtight jar?

The method I’ve heard works is to spread it thin on parchment paper, let it dry, ship it, rehydrate and feed.