Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005
I just made my first non-bread maker bread after being inspired by this thread. I used the first lesson recipe from thefreshloaf.com so just flour, salt, yeast, and water.

Kneading is hard work but my dough looked like this.

After rising and shaping I had something like this.

I realise now that I didn't let it rise again after shaping.

But in the end it came out looking not too bad

There's a slight yeasty flavour to it but I'm chalking that up to the lack of a second rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005
Bread number 3 I pretty much destroyed trying to transfer it from the surface I was rising it on to the pizza stone I had in the oven so it collapsed and ended up quite thin and dense.

Bread number 4 turned out a lot better, I added a milk wash this time so I got a nice colour on it.

It's already half gone.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005
I decided today to try something a little more challenging than a Sourdough or a plain white loaf so I delved into Challah.

Everything seemed to go well and they came out of the oven looking like this

and after an agonising wait for them to cool we had our first slices, so tasty.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Oh my god, I love challah. Way too much. I've been known to use challah buns for burgers for extra heart-stopping goodness.

I only learned about Challah from this thread, we don't have a big Jewish population here in New Zealand so my knowledge of Jewish food comes from American sitcoms.