Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Contains flour and yeast, therefore bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Malefitz posted:

No need to be a dick, educate yourself about difference in approach to egg production in US vs Europe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neJGE3Fy3PE

If lived in the US I would definitely have my own chickens holy poo poo.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

mediaphage posted:

if you'd bothered to watch the linked video you might learn why

it's because when the US put the practice into place it was before anybody was vaccinating against salmonella, and the research that had been done at the time showed that it wasn't very effective

more recent research and applications of the vaccine have invalidated those earlier results and since then something like 1/2 of all flock owners in the US have begun to voluntarily vaccinate their flocks. it looks like it's well on its way to happening and chances are good that we'll see government institutions move to mandate the practice in the coming years

Did you just watch that video and feel the need to tell people about it? In the bread thread? Cos you seen mad about it bud. Are you sure you don't have salmonella?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I keep seeing bread cutting guides through targeted adds, anyone have any experience of them? Seem gimmicky.

What is your defrost system for the slices? Toaster? Or does it defrost ok at room temp to be like fresh?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

You cannot post that without posting a recipe what the gently caress

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I made those and they tasted like dust and sadness. I hope your results are better.

My in-laws visited and they always bring bread. I try not to be insulted but it's always white sliced so I have decided it's not me it's them.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Bread!

I've gone back to 100% hand kneading, and I think I am getting better results. Two medium loaves rather than one big one as well.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah just get the baguette tray, it makes a massive difference. I use a Paul Hollywood recipe but it isn't very authentic, just a more or less standard white bread mix. I think traditional ones reuse old dough for extra tang?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Example, tray works well. Still proved in a canvas couche.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

fourwood posted:

I generally do something like put it in a plastic shopping bag cut side down on a shelf and only keep the bag very loosely wrapped around the loaf, this seems to work pretty well. The crumb doesn’t stale out too fast but the crust stales a bit and stays crusty.

I guess maybe a paper bag would be good for this too but I don’t usually have many of those around.

I use a massive metal cake tin, works pretty well. Anything we haven't eaten in 2 days gets crumbed for recipes anyway.

That said I think my bread making has got a bit "stale" haha. Can someone recc a bread recipe that blew them away recently I want to do something special. IDY only, I don't have starter or fresh on hand.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Finally got a fully puffed pitta, feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I had a lot of eggs, milk and butter that needed to be used up

Brioche is the answer

The problem is with brioche is I eat it in bread like quantities, but it is essentially cake